Wrestling Channel Miscellany

herbie747

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been keeping a eye on this for the past couple of days and its a fantastic read. Brought back so many great memories of the Wrestling Channel as I remember it well. Must have drove my parents crazy the amount of hours I sat in front of the TV watching this great channel.

I remember the test run I think in 2004 around Mania time and enjoyed everything on there alough at times I wished new content would turn up but hey thats what a test run is for I guess. I followed the channel for a few years and they had some great wrestling and shoots too even though at times wondered why the shoots were in 2 parts and I think sometimes the second part wasent showing up on the sky guide ie Ricky Steamboat part 2 one.

Spent a shit load on blanks back then to record as much as I could from Mexico, Memphis, Brit stuff and all those indy fed and the channel was very much appreciated Herbie, a big thankyou to you for getting it running. Loved that MLW show that aired.

Anyway appologies for hijacking the thread with pics but the memories here got me thinking to try and dig out some of the stuff I recorded back in the day and thought id share them to bring back old memories.

2hnqd5y.jpg

11rb05w.jpg

If you ever write a book or do a website detailing the history of the channel dont hesitate to message me as I could help you out with listings for what CMLL showed and when as I tried to date everything as best I could.

Having listened to the podcast interview (which was a great listen) and looking at the Web archive of the site I have a few more questions.

1. Who compiled the best of shows and do you still have copies of them? If so any chance of uploading them to YouTube as you have the international showdown show?

2. Is the original advert available to upload that was shown after wrestle mania xx? Would love to see that again if possible.

3. I completely forgot about the 'text this number to see the move of the week' on the website at £3 a pop. I'm really interested to know if anyone ever text in and if the move was ever changed?

Cheers love this thread was devastated when I moved back home to coincide with the ending of transmission.

• Paid Members

Having listened to the podcast interview (which was a great listen) and looking at the Web archive of the site I have a few more questions.

1. Who compiled the best of shows and do you still have copies of them? If so any chance of uploading them to YouTube as you have the international showdown show?

2. Is the original advert available to upload that was shown after wrestle mania xx? Would love to see that again if possible.

3. I completely forgot about the 'text this number to see the move of the week' on the website at £3 a pop. I'm really interested to know if anyone ever text in and if the move was ever changed?

Cheers love this thread was devastated when I moved back home to coincide with the ending of transmission.

1. It varied. The Danielson & AJ ones were done inhouse, as it was mostly TNA & ROH stuff. The Benoit in Japan was pretty much all his matches we had, so that was by default. The Dynamite Kid one - see Benoit, although I did get a list from Ross Hart and we had to pick & buy the matches off it. I think we paid US$1100 for 6 matches. Best of WOS was by Martin Greaves, who was our WOS consultant, so to speak. The Japanese Best Of stuff was generally done by Mo Chatra. Best of TWC was picked by our forum members. And Bloodiest matches was obvious. Can't put them on Youtube as I don't own the footage, but I do have a few on DVD.

2. Can't remember it - what did it say? Was this before the launch?

3. I don't think it ever changed - and no idea if anyone ever texted it! Didn't get the numbers. We would just send over the move as a Gif when asked, but that was all part of the SMS-related stuff that Dolphin TV were handling with Red Circle (the Bang Babes guys).

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

I think it was just a highlight package with the different promotions featured and days possibly? The only thing I can remember is someone doing a 450 possibly Juventud guererra in tna but my memory is very hazy on this!

Found it and a few others!

Edited by herbie747

Was close with the 450 knew it had juvi in it!

Totally forgot about that hogan NJPW ad as well. It's incredible to think how you managed to get the channel up and running herbie. Shame it didn't last but at the time it launched it was an amazing time to be a wrestling fan in the UK. I wonder what the channels output would have been like if the barb rating system wasn't so out of date.

3. Mainly cost, and that we couldn't get tapes that had no commentary on them (well, GAEA already had none). If NOAH or NJPW had to send us tapes with no commentary tracks, it would have cost more. Plus, we were based in Dublin - how would we find 2 good commentators (or even 1) who knew enough about Japanese wrestling & were good commentators too? The studio time, the syncing, the mixing, the fees, the man hours, etc - it was cost prohibitive, especially for a show that didn't even pay for itself. Plus, in the past, bad English commentary has ruined Japanese shows - so we figured we'd tell people who they were & overlay the graphics, and then leave the rest intact.

I remember being flown in to Dublin to record the commentary for International Showdown in the TWC studios. I did the commentary with an Irish guy called Eamon D'Arcy I think. As well as the hassle for Sean (Herbie) of having to drive to the airport to collect me and then drop me off again at the end of the day, and the cost of paying for my flight, it was a long old day for me too, as I flew there and back the same day. It was a fun experience to do as a one-off but I don't think anyone would want to do that on a regular basis.

• Paid Members

I remember being flown in to Dublin to record the commentary for International Showdown in the TWC studios. I did the commentary with an Irish guy called Eamon D'Arcy I think. As well as the hassle for Sean (Herbie) of having to drive to the airport to collect me and then drop me off again at the end of the day, and the cost of paying for my flight, it was a long old day for me too, as I flew there and back the same day. It was a fun experience to do as a one-off but I don't think anyone would want to do that on a regular basis.

You'd have been shit in ECW!

• Paid Members

3. Mainly cost, and that we couldn't get tapes that had no commentary on them (well, GAEA already had none). If NOAH or NJPW had to send us tapes with no commentary tracks, it would have cost more. Plus, we were based in Dublin - how would we find 2 good commentators (or even 1) who knew enough about Japanese wrestling & were good commentators too? The studio time, the syncing, the mixing, the fees, the man hours, etc - it was cost prohibitive, especially for a show that didn't even pay for itself. Plus, in the past, bad English commentary has ruined Japanese shows - so we figured we'd tell people who they were & overlay the graphics, and then leave the rest intact.

I remember us sitting in Planet Hollywood that afternoon (before I dropped you to the airport) and the new pope ordainment was all over the TVs. So I guess the date was.... *googles*... 19 April 2005 - would make sense. Adding the commentary around a month after Showdown.

• Paid Members

What an absolutely brilliant thread. One of the best things that I've ever read on here. Thanks for taking so much time for providing so much information, herbie, it's been a great read.

I don't really have a question as such but I just wanted to personally thank you for setting the channel up. I think I already said this through Branquey. Just after you set it up my first daughter was born and I would get up in the middle of the night every night to feed her and the first thing I'd put on was TWC. I didn't always like what was shown (I absolutely hated 3PW!) but I have really fond memories of it from those evenings with my daughter. It also got me interested in wrestling again after a good few years of being off it and discovered some great stuff through it.

It also led to me discovering TWCF and then here and as such I've met a lot of top people that I would probably never have met. So I just wanted to say thank you, it was a great channel.

• Paid Members

That period was the boom of wrestling in this country in the modern era. A wrestling channel was one of those dreams everyone had before it actually happened. 2 things I remember being the big talking points at school. 1. What if WCW vs WWF ever had a co-PPV and 2. What would be on a all-wrestling channel. I remember the time the Wrestling Channel first started, I couldn't believe I was actually watching Teddy Hart vs Juventud Guerrera in the common room at our college. Once I left the house, you dont imagine seeing Elix Skipper in front of other people on a telly that wasn't yours. Then the Shawn Michaels shoot interview was on where someone remarked "it looks like he's got a cock in his mouth" when he spent the whole interview gobbing on his tabaco. In pre-Youtube times, it was so hard to discover random wrestlers, because I was certainly not going to pay for a DVD just to see a match featuring someone Power Slam said was good. But you could see them on TWC. A big miss I felt. And for me, there is zero chance TNA would have got the deal with Bravo (and later Challenge) without the success they had on TWC initially. It was huge for them to have a television presence in a market the size of the UK at that stage of existance.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay