UFC 167: St Pierre vs Hendricks

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

judging by Dana's reaction to it all at the media scrum it makes me feel it probably is something like George admitting he's gay, Dana said 'it's nowhere near as bad as he thinks it is'. What else could it be?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey, it's turned into a cross between the Sherdog forum and Digital Spy here with all this gay GSP stuff!

I thought he was stepping back from MMA as he was trying for a baby but just couldn't finish.

Nothing really to add about the main event (I scored it 3-2 Hendricks) but I did enjoy watching Sonnen get destroyed. Hopefully he wraps up his boring feud with Wanderlei and works in a commentary/pundit position from then on.

Just watching the gsp hendricks fight again and i think i can see why someone would think gsp won round one.

Gsp is dictating the fight from the start,he takes hendricks down and goes to finish the fight but hendricks gets out of it.Hendricks first connects countering gsp's attmepts to take him down, one with an upper cut and the other with some great elbows.The first two mintues is all gsp. Gsp conncets with a few jabs and high kicks during the round.Hendricks dosent really hit george any other time in the first round other then when gsp goes to take him down. Its sort of defence attacks to defend gsp's take downs. If gsp hadnt of been going for the take downs, would Hendricks of connected with anything?Hendricks does take him down but dosent do anything and gsp gets straight back up.

After watching it back i think its a very close round depending which way you look at it. Gsp is the aggresser up until hendricks blocks 1 of the take downs with elbows. Which is about 2-3 mintues in. Like i said he does take him down but unlike gsp he dosent do anything and lets gsp get back up.

I think the round could easily be swung both ways.

The 2nd round is fairly even up until Hendricks connects about a minute in then he dominates for a mintue or so and should have finished gsp there and then. To be fair to gsp he does recover really well but hendricks has to take round two. After watching it back i did think hendricks dominated more then he actually did in the 2nd round. Between the 2-3 round hendricks corner say to him "your PROBALY up two and zero" so at that point even they werent sure on the first round.

Gsp takes round 3 he pushes the fight connects a few times. Rogan and goldberg are doubting hendricks gas as he has slowed down conpared to round 2. Hendricks does take gsp down in the last mintue though but again dosent do anything. It isnt night and day but id give it to gsp

Round 4 is fairly even up until gsp slips and hendricks takes advantage with the ground and pound. When he lets gsp back up he still connects a fair few times. The most clear round of the fight. Hendricks!

Round 5 is all gsp he goes for a few take downs being succesfull twice and he connects with some kicks and pucnhes.

After watching the fight back twice it is alot closer then i orginaly thought. I still think Hendricks deserved to win it but there is an arguement for gsp something i didnt think after watching it live.

• Paid Members

As well as that Hendricks-GSP photo which lamby posted, here's another great picture from Saturday;

208_chael_sonnen_vs_rashad_evans.0_standard_305.0.jpg

Couple of bits of news;

-GSP's sister has said there's nothing wrong with their Dad and she doesn't know where the rumour is coming from. So that's half of TMZ's exclusive rubbished. The getting some woman pregnant bit sounds more plausible given Dana's comments but we'll see.

-Also, Johny Hendricks is on medical suspension until May 2014 for a possible serious knee injury. GSP should be cleared by January as the damage he sustained was mostly cuts and swelling.

Honestly, this might all work out perfectly timing wise. By the time Hendricks is ready to go again, hopefully GSP will have his personal shit sorted out and we can get the rematch on. It's too early to say of course, but it could line up nicely for the big July 4th weekend PPV.

• Paid Members

How can it possibly be considered a robbery when it all came down to a close Rd 1? People can huff & puff about it as much as they want, but saying it's a robbery makes no sense.

The scoring system doesn't account for overall damage or how people look after a fight (and besides, some people bruise/mark easier than others). If you're pissed, blame the scoring system; but using the current system, it's not a robbery at all. It came down to 1 close round, and there were no 10/8 rounds.

• Paid Members

I'm going to wait until I rewatch it but I admit I was shocked when GSP was announced the winner. I absolutely felt Hendricks did enough.

But, as you say, I'd stop short of calling it a robbery. People cry robbery willy nilly after fights but most of the time there's a solid case for the score to go either way. Very rarely is there a true robbery in MMA in my opinion. My initial thought was Hendricks won rounds 1, 2 and 4. Rounds 2 and 4 clearly. I had GSP taking the 3rd and 5th for sure as well. And as I said in my post after the event, the first round was the one I'd have to look at again but I thought Hendricks had that as well. But the fact so many are saying that round could have gone to GSP means you can see why a judge would think the same. There's been worse decisions.

When people say 'look at GSP's face. He's a mess. Doesn't look like a winner to me. Hendricks doesn't have a scratch on him', that's all well and good but it's nothing to do with the scoring of a fight. A guy could win 4 rounds, all 10-8s, and catch an elbow in the 5th and have a Marvin Eastman-like goat's vagina slash on his face. He still won a shutout on the cards. Plus some guys mark up easier than others.

Now, Hendricks did the most damage over the course of the fight on Saturday night. No-one's going to dispute that. But that doesn't mean GSP couldn't have nicked 3 rounds. And you can't start judging fights by who looks worse at the end, otherwise Bigfoot and Mrs Cyborg would never win a decision. Even if they hadn't got hit.

GSP took a lot of punishment Saturday night, but people are going on like it was Balboa vs Drago. Like GSP was sitting in the shower afterwards, slurring and telling Firas Zahabi - "I can't stop my hands from shaking". He took more punishment than he's taken in any other fight but it was far from the massacre some made out. It wasn't like how JDS looked after the Cain beatings, or Shogun after the Hendo fight.

The worst thing about this decision bollocks is that GSP vs Hendricks was a tremendous fight and that fact seems to have been lost among the talk of bad judging, NSAC incompetence, GSP being gay, GSP's dying Dad, GSP's healthy Dad, GSP's baby mama and the will they-won't they rematch talk. It was a great, great fight. And it's almost certain we'll be seeing it again in the not too distant future.

How can it possibly be considered a robbery when it all came down to a close Rd 1? People can huff & puff about it as much as they want, but saying it's a robbery makes no sense.

The scoring system doesn't account for overall damage or how people look after a fight (and besides, some people bruise/mark easier than others). If you're pissed, blame the scoring system; but using the current system, it's not a robbery at all. It came down to 1 close round, and there were no 10/8 rounds.

I agree 100%.

Matt Hughes said its the worst call in UFC history. Really? I thought Hendricks won but i dont think it was clear cut and i see the GSP arguement.

Hendricks said after the fight that he only hit GSP with 70% of power, yeah right im sure Hendricks only hit with 70% in that 2nd round. He couldnt knock GSP out when he had the chance, i dont believe Hendricks for one mintue there and if it is true then more fool him,why wouldnt you hit at 100% when your opponent has got a bad case of Bruce Grobbelaar legs.

Archived