UFC 167: St Pierre vs Hendricks

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just to clarify, I was implying that I felt that Shogun won that first fight too and that this result is an even bigger joke, which I might think slightly less of once I rewatch the fight, but I'm still standing firm that Hendricks won. Didn't Couture get an immediate rematch with Belfort too after their fight ended in 45 seconds due to a cut to Couture's eyelid? Sylvia/Arlovski had an rematch straight after Sylvia on the title too

Back to the GSP/Hendricks fight, surely the damage inflicted by Hendricks outweighs a submission attempt, doesn't it? GSP was never in a position of potentially ending the fight with it

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info Wand. It does make sense.

I kind of hope he is now, it would be progressive in a roundabout way. But why would he need to go away due to it after all this time, unless someone had pictures and was blackmailing him, or he only recently came to terms with it himself, it would not warrant retiring or taking a break.

To understand where he's coming from you really need to understand how big he is in Canada. For example, the fight with Hendricks was considered front page news in most Canadian newspapers, including the Toronto Sun.

St-Pierre making an announcement about his sexuality is a bit like Gareth Bale, David Beckham or Wayne Rooney doing the same in the UK. It'll be a big deal, and that maybe means pressure and scrutiny on his family, which he may not be happy with.

• Paid Members

KingOfMetal - Ha, fair do's. I've been wanting to post about the Machida vs Shogun 1 decision for a while now but never got around to it. Your post just gave me an excuse :)

I think I'm going to rewatch the fight today. I can't see me changing my stance but like Ebb, I did think watching live that the first round was kind of close. But I felt Hendricks won it. GSP got the takedown but Hendricks got up quick didn't he? I'll rewatch it. I definitely had GSP winning rounds 3 and 5 with no controversy. So if there's a genuine case for giving him round 1 as well, then it's not in the Machida/Shogun league of bad decisions. I just remember thinking after round 1 that Hendricks had got off to a very strong start. Then he had that great second round. GSP got back in the fight in round 3 but I definitely agree that Hendricks seemed to take his foot off the gas in the last round. The old De La Hoya vs Trinidad error. You can't ever rely on a lead in a title fight. Hendricks was saying after the fight that he was going 70% because he was trying to conserve energy having never gone 5 rounds before. Who knows what would have happened had he pushed it more in the last round. Ending the fight strong would surely have sealed the deal for him.

Once GSP sorts out whatever this issue is that he is dealing with, the UFC have got a massive PPV rematch to look forward to promoting though haven't they? Maybe even have it in Canada? I'm brainstorming at best, but you know that they're going to drawing up plans already for a rematch

Once GSP sorts out whatever this issue is that he is dealing with, the UFC have got a massive PPV rematch to look forward to promoting though haven't they? Maybe even have it in Canada? I'm brainstorming at best, but you know that they're going to drawing up plans already for a rematch

Fuck Canada, that rematch should be happening in Texas. St-Pierre has enjoyed home advantage too much of late, and Hendricks deserves it.

• Paid Members
Not to mention the fact that Hendrick's corner told him going into the 5th not to do anything too risky, as he basically had the fight in the bag. If he'd won that last round he'd be champion now.

That is true. I did get the feeling that Hendricks (like myself) believed he had the fight in the bag. Rather than going in with the mindset of winning the round, he simply approached that round to avoid a KO or submission.

As I mentioned previously, go back to even round 3 where Hendricks got that big takedown towards the end of that where you could even argue Hendricks got that round?

Fuck Canada, that rematch should be happening in Texas. St-Pierre has enjoyed home advantage too much of late, and Hendricks deserves it.

I'm not saying Hendricks doesn't deserve it, I'm talking purely from a business standpoint in tterms of livegate and PPV buys. We all know how big a draw GSP is in Canada, with the right promotion behind it, they could easily go back to the Skydome (or whatever its called now) with it

• Paid Members
Not to mention the fact that Hendrick's corner told him going into the 5th not to do anything too risky, as he basically had the fight in the bag. If he'd won that last round he'd be champion now.

Yeah, I can't believe cornermen still do this. Telling your fighter to coast on a points lead that you don't know exists is a mind numbingly terrible idea. You're relying on the judges seeing it the same as you which obviously they won't always do. The way Hendricks started the fight so strong, if he'd ended the fight in similar fashion I have no doubt he'd have got nod. It would have made it damn near impossible to give it to GSP if he'd put that exclamation point on the fight.

KingOfMetal - yeah but the Belfort vs Couture immediate rematch was because of Randy's eye injury. I'm talking about immediate rematches due to controversial decisions/robberies.

Actually I'm not sure why they did the Arlovski vs Sylvia immediate rematch. The second fight was great but Sylvia won by KO in round 1, there was no controversy or grounds for an immediate rematch. Must just have been because they had such lack of depth at heavyweight back then. Remember fucking Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers were getting title shots in those days.

Actually I'm not sure why they did the Arlovski vs Sylvia immediate rematch. The second fight was great but Sylvia won by KO in round 1, there was no controversy or grounds for an immediate rematch. Must just have been because they had such lack of depth at heavyweight back then. Remember fucking Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers were getting title shots in those days.

Yeah, the HW division was a laughing stock at the time

• Paid Members
Hendricks won it. GSP got the takedown but Hendricks got up quick didn't he?

he got trapped in the guillotine whilst trying to get up.

Another strange decision Hendrick's made was in round 4 when he was on top of GSP and simply got up and allowed GSP back to his feet. Hendricks went on to win the round but i thought it was a weird thing to do at the time.

I did think watching live that the first round was kind of close. But I felt Hendricks won it. GSP got the takedown but Hendricks got up quick didn't he? I'll rewatch it. I definitely had GSP winning rounds 3 and 5 with no controversy. So if there's a genuine case for giving him round 1 as well, then it's not in the Machida/Shogun league of bad decisions. I just remember thinking after round 1 that Hendricks had got off to a very strong start.

Check out my breakdown from the previous page, and I think theres a good case for giving it to GSP. GSP attempted a sub from that takedown, which looking at now, was absolutley huge. Other factors from that round are whether you score huge elbows when defending a takedown higher than the attempted takedown itself, and whether Hendricks takedown was scored as such (dont know how the scoring works). GSPs volume in R1 was higher, especially at the end. Volume will always score better than 2 or 3 really solid knees, I assume.

Thanks for the info Wand. It does make sense.

I kind of hope he is now, it would be progressive in a roundabout way. But why would he need to go away due to it after all this time, unless someone had pictures and was blackmailing him, or he only recently came to terms with it himself, it would not warrant retiring or taking a break.

To understand where he's coming from you really need to understand how big he is in Canada. For example, the fight with Hendricks was considered front page news in most Canadian newspapers, including the Toronto Sun.

St-Pierre making an announcement about his sexuality is a bit like Gareth Bale, David Beckham or Wayne Rooney doing the same in the UK. It'll be a big deal, and that maybe means pressure and scrutiny on his family, which he may not be happy with.

Yeah, I get that

My question is why now, what would have made him want to go public at this time if he was gay, I am sure there are plenty of reasons, but there would have to be some reason for now and not say 2009.

Archived