UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very late to the Conor McGregor discussion but just to say I enjoyed it as much as everyone else seemed to. It was just the sort of performance I wanted to see from him and the atmosphere looked to be absolutely amazing – my only regret is not sorting out tickets. I fancy him against Poirier. I do have a bit of a boner for Gunnar too; the pair of them are like fire and ice.  

Cannot wait for the card on Saturday, Brown vs Lawler is going to be WAR and the sort of fight that will make grown men wince. I think Lawler probably just has too much power so went for him via TKO. I’m almost as excited for Guida vs Bermudez, two fighters I love to watch for very different reasons. Hard to pick a winner but I hope Bermudez edges it. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I voted for Brown. Lawler can outstrike him but I think Matt Brown's in a great place mentally & all the interviews I've heard from him reinforce this. The longer it goes the more I think it'll benefit Brown.

• Paid Members

I don't know. Brown's never gone five rounds and from what I remember Lawler was actually having better rounds late against Hendricks. I'm sure I gave him the third and fourth, and I had him ahead in the fifth until Hendricks came on late with some good shots and the takedown to steal the round.

I don't get the sense that Lawler will necessarily fade late. I think if it goes late Lawler will be right with him.

I don't know. Brown's never gone five rounds and from what I remember Lawler was actually having better rounds late against Hendricks. I'm sure I gave him the third and fourth, and I had him ahead in the fifth until Hendricks came on late with some good shots and the takedown to steal the round.

I don't get the sense that Lawler will necessarily fade late. I think if it goes late Lawler will be right with him.

I thought Lawler had his chance in the fourth against Hendricks but seemed reluctant to throw the kitchen sink at him. Now I maybe wrong but I felt that he was maybe concerned about his gas tank and this might be shown to be true in the way Hendricks won the fifth.

I think Matt Brown’s style is going to wear you out more and I think he’s better built for five rounds of attrition.

Pure speculation on my part and irrelevant as I think Lawler will get him early doors!

• Paid Members

Yeah you never know. Brown isn't a guy I'd expect to fade either. But yeah, I think Lawler catches him at some point. I've got this feeling he might stop Brown with a body kick. Erick Silva almost did it and Lawler's kicks from the southpaw stance are nasty. He totally shut Ellenberger down right off the bat with a few of them. Ellenberger mostly blocked them but I think the power spooked him and he was hesistant from then on. Matt Brown's a different animal, he won't be spooked but I can see Lawler seeing that left body kick as a big opening he can take advantage of (Matron!).

Yeah, fuck it, I'll be all specific. Lawler by bodykick stoppage in the second. After a crazy first round.

• Paid Members

Forgive me for turning this into the Conor McGregor thread, and apologies if this has been posted already, but I just watched the third episode of that UFC On The Fly series from Dublin. It's more Conor being Conor, if anyone hasn't seen it, or needs more proof of what a fantastic personality he has. The bit where he talks about his entrance music genuinely made me laugh.

"DON'T TALK OVER SINEAD!"

Nice to see we have a Member of Sherdog staff posting on the board  ;)

Yeah, fuck it, I'll be all specific. Lawler by bodykick stoppage in the second. After a crazy first round.

PATRICK WYMAN - After a close and thrilling first round, Lawler will land a big counter knee or kick to the body for the knockout in the second round. - http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/UFC-on-Fox-12-Preview-71057

I tend to agree

That said, I thought Erik Silva and Mike Pyle were going to beat Brown, so Brown has proven me wrong before.

Lawler showed recently he is far from the "hit early or lose" fighter he was for years. Rory, Ellenberger and to a lesser degree Hendricks were worn down over time. I like Lawler to win by late stoppage, but he always has the potential to finish early given his power.

• Paid Members

Lawler is a deceptively smart fighter as well. You think of Lawler as just a banger who gets into wars but if you watch him he doesn't really get hit that much. Against Hendricks he took his lumps but in general he's good at covering up, avoiding the really big shots or rolling with them.

That could be key here as well. Brown's more wild. He's not overly reckless but he puts himself in harm's way more, I think.

I just hope it's not over too quick, either way. Here we all are expecting some Hunt vs Bigfoot shit, but there's a chance this could be a massive anti-climax if one of them connects on the sweet spot 30 seconds in. I remember a few years ago I was practically shitting myself with anticipation for the inevitable war that was going to be Takanori Gomi vs Tyson Griffin. A sure fire FOTY classic in my head. Then the fight started - circle, circle, circle....BANG....

takanori-gomi-ko-griffin.jpg

Gomi just killed his chin about a minute into the fight.

I really hope this goes at least a full round before someone hits the deck. Ideally I'd love to see a good back and forth, three or four rounds before a big dramatic finish. But I'm trying (and mostly failing) to keep my expectations in check.

• Paid Members

I hope not. I really like Matt Brown but I'd much rather Lawler win. Plus I think he matches up a lot better with Hendricks than Brown does. And Lawler vs Hendricks 2 will no doubt be awesome like the first one.

"DON'T TALK OVER SINEAD!"

Haha, just watched it.

On the McGregor subject, I don't know where this is from (I'm assuming somewhere in Ireland) but I saw this on twitter;

BtZZPpCIEAAXVNT.jpg

Archived