Raw 8/1/13 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

One of my fondest memories of Waylon Mercy is when he DDT'd a chap on the outside and told the ref he was 'an innocent man'. I'd love to see that match again. I was about 16, and watched it with my best mate, and we became Waylon Mercy fans for life after that moment.

Here it is:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
One of my fondest memories of Waylon Mercy is when he DDT'd a chap on the outside and told the ref he was 'an innocent man'. I'd love to see that match again. I was about 16, and watched it with my best mate, and we became Waylon Mercy fans for life after that moment.

Here it is:

If you'd let me, I'd french kiss your jap eye Pitcos! I thank you very much!!!

Never even thought to check youtube for it actually broken down as 'Waylon Mercy DDT on Floor'...

I really liked the earlier segments when trying to find the Wyatts, it was a look into someones back story that they rarely do these days and I actually thought it was really well done by their over produced standards. I liked the entrance except for the electric lantern which was then blown out, that really bothered me for some reason. Id like to see them do the same entrance but a bigger oil lamp or something so it still lights up their faces but atleast looks more authentic. The rest was great although the general beatdown was a bit lame.

• Paid Members

There wasn't desperate cries that Dolph needed to be face because it was clear he'd be amazing in the role (although there was some of that), it was more, he's exhausted on the heel side as he's faced and lost to everyone 70,000 times that there was pretty much nowhere to go for him and a possible face turn could be the only thing to save him in this point of his career of actually taking that extra step up. That and he wasn't much of a heel anyway.

I do think the potential is there for him to be a pretty decent, exciting face and it started off alright, but become fucked since. I've always thought there was potential in Dolph on the baby team but also always believed a turn for someone like him (and in fact Miz and Del Rio - guys long established as heels) needed that particular defining moment that truly signified and made it clear had become one of the good guys, with an action that itself warranted cheers to cement it. None of them really had it, simply 'oh, we're cheering them now are we?' and that never works out well, especially if you've always been associated as being on the heel crew. A trick was missed in my opinion when Dolph broke away from Vickie. That should have been his defining face turn moment, for the longest time people were desperate for him to break away from her and it was constantly teased, each time to a favourable reaction. Had it finally occurred in a big match setting, where Vickie unintentionally costs Dolph some big chance at glory at a stage like WrestleMania, I think that could have worked wonderfully. Instead he was simply transitioned away from that to the new lead female heel. WWE clearly never had much confidence in his strengths as a heel anyway, having to associate him with a stronger act. As it is and as mentioned, I wouldn't quite say he's fully fledged face yet anyway and maybe he still will have that moment with ditching AJ. The first revenge attack on the stage I thought came across really strong and gave me a feeling that he had something there to work with as a babyface. Muddying the waters with the Jericho and AJ situations hasn't helped as the audience is clearly now confused when they seemed ready to cheer him, now they don't really have much reason to. But maybe that's the point. Maybe WWE realised his face turn came about from getting his head kicked in and wanted to create something that established his turn stronger by making something of his separation from AJ.

On the other points, D-Bry vs Sheamus was blinding. Enjoyed the presentation of The Wyatt Family for the most part, I've had a lob on for Bray ever since he was Husky but that's only grown since he became Bray. I adored that lamp entrance. But it all ended a little flat. I'm not sure how I feel about the Kane attack but I don't think this is the start of the their first proper program, having it with Kane. I see this as fuel to the fire of the D-Bry-Kane deal and establishing Bryans heel turn (unfortunately). Kane upset D-Bry didn't help him but did his bit at the close of the show, D-Bry acting somewhat innocent saying can you blame me with those guys and you're a monster anyway and i'm not risking getting hurt before MITB, I want to be WWE Champion. I can see The Wyatts laying out somebody completely different next, possibly at Money in the Bank, possibly Jericho. And on that note, those wanting them to have some kind of big emotionless monster in their group - considering he's now completely fucked, I wouldn't mind them brainwashing Ryback and him becoming the 'Corn-Fed Meathead' again with them.

When people were wanking themselves off going "ZIGGLER NEEDS TO BE A FACE!" I held back.

I don't remember people ever saying that, strangely - he's built to be a heel, as you say. I can't see any need for turning good heels face. He's one of my favourite of the current WWE lot to watch actually wrestling. Like a lot of guys who's act is built around in-ring performance though, familiarity breed contempt.

I called for him to be a face quite a while back, probably two years ago. I stand by that he should be able to be a better face than he is. Having him as a never give in type who takes all these massive bumps to gain sympathy could work. He can still be cocky; he doesn't need to be a complete clean-cut good guy. There's the danger of him looking like a loser, but only if he takes big bumps, gets whacked and never gets his comeuppance.

From what I've seen, it seems like the natural storyline was more Big E turning on Ziggler and AJ.

I like the Beach Boys sound to Wyatt Family's theme.

Edit: Good post by ShortOrderCook. I agree about the no defining moments with face turns. They know how to turn people heel but struggle to turn people face.

And on that note, those wanting them to have some kind of big emotionless monster in their group - considering he's now completely fucked, I wouldn't mindthem brainwashing Ryback and him becoming the 'Corn-Fed Meathead' again with them.

Now that's a darn decent shout

Assuming of course WWE don't have some master plan for Ryback.

They don't.

I thought the double-turn with Ziggler and Del Rio was great, and the next night on Raw was alright, it was just everything that followed that was crap. That match at Payback did a cracking job setting up Ziggler as the guy who will fight with everything he has and never give up, but that alone isn't a character. You can't have that match every week. He needed a big-time speech on Raw within a week or two of it. As ShortOrderCook pointed out, we still might get that when he splits from AJ, but I don't think delaying it has helped.

If you'd let me, I'd french kiss your jap eye Pitcos! I thank you very much!!!

Never even thought to check youtube for it actually broken down as 'Waylon Mercy DDT on Floor'...

Oddly enough, I was looking through that Youtube account for an old episode of Superstars or Challenge or something to watch over lunch, and I saw that video on there not five minutes after reading your post!

• Paid Members

I've watched the Wyatt Family debut back a bunch of times now and I fucking love it. I love the effort that has been put into it, as hokey as those vignettes with the reporter and shit seemed, I love all that stuff and am happy to see a return to that sort of thing in creating a curiosity in a character and their back story. They used to do that shit loads and as soon as someone with that kind of effort made their debut they were already over. That sort of thing has almost exclusively been saved for The Undertaker over recent years and he is someone it's always worked magically with in maintaining his aura. I love all the imagery of it, the blend of Texas Chainsaw Massacre-esque, early Lost The Others vibe and Charlie Manson style rambling promos. I love Bray and his beard and his whole look, it's an instantly identifiable, iconic look (except for his in-ring wrestling garb) and I love the lantern. I think the issue with blowing out an electric light are silly, it's simply an effect. I fucking loved the entrance, the music, the reaction when they walked out. It might be one of my favourite debuts/arrivals they've done. I love the rocking chair. I loved Brays confident walk over to Kane to survey the damage provided by his minions. But the attack I wasn't so fussed about, it was everything that led up to that, that felt really magical.

Which makes the 'Hus-ky Har-ris!' bit all the more infuriating. Fuck, I hate wrestling fans.

Archived