Raw 8/1/13 Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Paid Members
Expand on that please. Tell me what's likable about him? His gimmick isn't conducive to being an effective babyface, and nor is his big bumping style in the WWE way of doing things.

Absolutely. I don't think it helps that nobody seems sure what to do with him, but he as a performer hasn't proven himself to excel at anything other than bumping so I don't know what I'd do with him either. He can be exciting to watch but he never inspires me to cheer or boo him. He can draw some sympathy with his big bumps but I don't think he has anything approaching Bryan's talent for fiery comebacks, and then when he's a heel I don't buy him controlling the offense of the match either. Also his finisher looks rubbish, though I can forgive that a little because the fact that he can suddenly hit it at a moment's notice out of nothing is always a massive plus point for a finishing move in my eyes.

I thought his segment with AJ on Raw was painful and then his interaction with Del Rio was even worse. He started with bad comedy, then got serious to a limited reaction, then Del Rio clearly won their brawl but got hit by a dive from Sin Cara which meant Ziggler came out on top? I was less than convinced.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Also, how shit is Dolph ZIggler? I'm still waiting for a reason why he should be cheered. Also, he now comes off as an utter nerd.

Worse babyface than Alberto Del Rio.

They're both terminally unlikeable - some people just can't be face, they just don't have the necessary tools. Anyone has it in them to make people hate them, but some people just aren't at all likeable.

I always thought the Miz really fitted there

I've only seen the Kane beatdown on YouTube (couldn't find any of the other Wyatt segments) and enjoyed how it was done, but I've just got visions of it all turning to shit when Rowan & Harper have a match, just didn't really convince me. The fact that Cole, JBL & Lawler didn't sound like they gave a toss didn't help things.

We'll just have to wait and see. Enjoyed the vignettes, even if it did seem to run a little too long in the end.

Besides when Jericho was coming back (both the Save_Us.Y2J, and his 2012 return) who was the last person that WWE gave a decent run of vignettes to?

Awesome Kong, Albert, Sin Cara, Undertaker. They do it a lot these days. Vignettes get you over. Staying over is another thing, but vignettes always work.

Did they do a decent run of them for Albert? I remember seeing one then he debuted the next week.

• Paid Members

I think they did more than one. Saying that, I can only remember seeing one so it could have just been just the one. You know it might have just been the one unless they did some on Smackdown. I know his signing was a quick thing where he signed they did the vignette(s) and he debuted because they wanted him for just after Mania to (lol) feud with John Cena on top for months. That didn't work out though.

• Paid Members

Clay. Post Vignettes. Humdinger!

Regarding Ziggler, I think the smart mob love(d) him coz he was a big bumping heel, could have an occasional belter of a match and reminded them of Mr.Perfect in some weird, rose tinted way. As a goody however, he's absolutely septic, yet a shade more likeable than Miz.

The Wyatt family debut was a letdown for me, for the reasons I knew it would be. They're a heel stable with a great gimmick and entrance, but they're still just a heel stable. Great point from Arch that they're not going to live up to The Shield's performances when they start having matches.

Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus was a phenomenal match! One of my favourites from this year so far. Orton vs Punk was good as well.

The Cena and Henry feud missed a trick for me by not emphasising more that Cena might be scared of Henry.

Vickie was on good form! Sad to see her go, although she might be sticking around in Ryback's corner?

Expand on that please. Tell me what's likable about him? His gimmick isn't conducive to being an effective babyface, and nor is his big bumping style in the WWE way of doing things.

In fairness though, he was a terrible heel as well. His whole act is just flashy bumping and gaudy t-shirts. He's yet to find any kind of personality that works on either side of the fence.

Besides when Jericho was coming back (both the Save_Us.Y2J, and his 2012 return) who was the last person that WWE gave a decent run of vignettes to?

Del Rio had about five years of shit vignettes of him sitting in his house bragging about being rich before he debuted... Kofi had a few weeks of vignettes that were essentially babyface versions of the Carlito/Razor Ramon ones... Kizarney... You get the ones like Brodus Clay, Tensai, Sin Cara and Fandango had... Sandow had loads of pre-taped interviews when he started, I can't remember if they were before he first appeared in the arena or after though...

I'm sure I read they did a stretcher job for Kane last night after the beatdown. Surely in storyline terms you couldn't go from having your head crushed by two pieces of metal, stretchered out, to being medically cleared to fall from a Ladder on Sunday night? Especially after everyone getting storyline concussions and real ones lately, yet being crushed by steps causes no head trauma at all?

Either way I think Kane's out of the picture on Sunday. I imagine it'll turn into Brad Maddox's first official decision as to who to replace him with, but I really can't think of anyone that could return to have the place, especially with it getting the All-Star category name.

RVD, previous winner and world champ (i didnt see Raw and dont know if they have announced a match for him yet, all i have seen are the ads saying "RVD returns")

I'm sure I read they did a stretcher job for Kane last night after the beatdown. Surely in storyline terms you couldn't go from having your head crushed by two pieces of metal, stretchered out, to being medically cleared to fall from a Ladder on Sunday night? Especially after everyone getting storyline concussions and real ones lately, yet being crushed by steps causes no head trauma at all?

Either way I think Kane's out of the picture on Sunday. I imagine it'll turn into Brad Maddox's first official decision as to who to replace him with, but I really can't think of anyone that could return to have the place, especially with it getting the All-Star category name.

RVD, previous winner and world champ (i didnt see Raw and dont know if they have announced a match for him yet, all i have seen are the ads saying "RVD returns")

we don't know for sure that Kane is out yet. He could still be in it and sell the beatdown, maybe even Wyatts show up post match and give him another pasting

we don't know for sure that Kane is out yet. He could still be in it and sell the beatdown, maybe even Wyatts show up post match and give him another pasting

Also, RVD is already in the match. He got announced along with all the over participants and they referred to it on the opening promo last week.

• Paid Members

Why would they shove him in with no build and little notice when nobody even knows if the act is over yet? What's the end game in that idea? Wyatt losing in his first match or Wyatt winning and doing a Bray Wyatt vs John Cena match at SummerSlam? Bray Wyatt would head down the R-Truth route if that happened. There's no way this act is ready to be mixing it up in matches with the big boys.

Archived