WrestleMania XXX predictions

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Understandably there's a lot of talk of WrestleMania XXX going on at the moment and what the big money matches might be. Thought it might be interesting to start a thread on the subject as there's so much discussion on it going on and also be interesting to look back on in a years time and see how accurate we may have been.

Everyone seems to be convinced that John Cena vs Undertaker is going to be the main event. Mainly because many of us have hoped it will be, for a couple of years. But there's nothing to say it actually will be, yet talk is almost as though its a formality. Could be a lot of disappointed people if it doesn't happen.

Other potential matches being thrown about are:

The Rock vs Brock Lesnar,

Batista vs Brock Lesnar,

Triple H vs Shawn Michaels,

CM Punk vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

Some of those, coupled with Cena vs Undertaker could indeed make for a massive set of headline matches for sure. I've personally no interest in Rock/Brock, but I'd be all over a Batista return and although I think they may not mix well, I'm still intrigued by it. I'm not sure who else I'd like to see Brock against, I've no interest in him facing 'Taker either. The only other thing is if Ryback manages to really take off this year maybe, or he could even go against 'Taker himself. I've definitely got no time for Triple H vs Shawn either. I love Triple H, but I strongly don't want to see that happening.

I think they're could be a strong chance of Punk/Austin going down. Just a feeling really. If its to ever happen, that's the time. An Austin one night return for XXX could be incredible after all this time. And Punk is the ideal opponent and they'd love working together. I think it could happen because Austins limitations don't have to be a factor. This would be all about the build and the match about the spectacle. Austins style would be easy to get around having a super exciting match without taking any major bumps. I think it could happen and it could be magic.

Really though, I hope WrestleMania XXX isn't so reliant on the big names from the past to boost, make, sell the show. I'd love some of them to be involved but I hope we're looking at some new talent driving the company forward into its future. I think that could be case with the sort of talent they've got and some of the guys on the rise. 'Mania I, X, and XX all had elements of this. I'd love XXX to have the same.

I think all The Shield lads could be well on their way. Most probably separated by then. Roman Reigns is fucking money. There's something about this guy and the way he carries himself that I'm sure he's destined for big things. I think he could be the first big breakthrough of them to crack the main event scene. I think he could have a decent spot come WrestleMania XXX. He and Sheamus have a good chemistry and seem to love hammering the shit out of each other. I'd love them to have a series together when Reigns goes solo. Maybe it could happen here, giving a nice nod to the year previous.

I reckon when Rollins and Ambrose go their seperate ways they will, at some point work each other while Reigns moves on. Rollins playing face and Ambrose naturally heel. Which could be awesome. I could see both of them getting over nicely too and lighting up the mid/upper mid card scene. Rollins will be an IC champ in future I'm sure. Rollins vs Ambrose for the IC title on the grandest stage could be quite tasty.

I hold by this time Ziggler has become a full on babyface, without having to change much to what he does. I think he could really excel in that role and if he does, could have a great position at the big dance.

Who else do you think will make waves in WWE and could be in a prominent position come WrestleMania XXX? There's bound to be a lot of call ups from FCW over the next couple of months and there's some excellent talent there that could get over and gain momentum over the next year. I reckon we'll see some decent name returns too. Will Bray Wyatt make it to the card? Will Jack Swagger again, will he still be with the company? Will Kofi get on there? Will Hogan? Warrior? Hall of Fame induction maybe? Of course it's impossible to predict for the most part, but it can be fun to. What do you think the landscape of WWE will look like around WrestleMania XXX and who could make up the potential card?

• Paid Members

I'd do Hulk Hogan and Sheamus vs. Roddy Piper and Randy Orton. With Superfly Snuka and Bob Orton in each corner. 30 years on, they should have some kind of reference to the main event that kicked it all off. A match like that would tell a great story to sell to potential buyers or lapsed fans. Either way Piper and Hogan should be there, they should interact and they should get their props for selling the thing initially. Also, Cyndi Lauper should go in the Hall of Fame.

Or failing that, get rid of Sheamus and replace him with a babyface Big E Langstone and rename him "Mr.E".

I'd really like to see them do something with Orton. Sure, he may have violated the wellness policy and might be dull as fuck at the moment. But apart from that the bloke has consistent good matches and regularly is involved in the best matches on the PPVs. I really like Orton but he just floats about doing fuck all, all the time. It'd be a nice change to see Orton get one of the top WrestleMania opponents Orton/Rock, Orton/Brock or even Orton/Ryback sound really interesting and fresh. I just really don't want to see him floating around doing nothing for another year. He has that Movie Star look and I've seen various women, who are not fans mention how "That Randy Orton is gorgeous", not that it has anything to do with this but he has that mainstream presence.

It's difficult to predict the card but I hope it's better than this years Mania. I'd really like to see a Multi-Man tables match or Ladder match as I really feel that is a match Mania needs. One of my favourite Mania's is actually WM24 you've got Finlay/JBL opening the show which was fantastic and then MITB it set the pace for the night and resulted in a very good Mania that year.

• Paid Members

Oh man, that's a tremendous idea Ian. Some form of tribute to the first show should happen. I really would love to see Hogan back in time for next year, but is there any real chance of it happening?

In terms of predictions, I think there is a very good chance that Austin will be involved. CM Punk seems the logical opponent for him, but I know Austin is also keen on Lesnar and Cena.

Do the rumours of Cena working with Undertaker have any actual grounding other than fans putting them together and hoping for the Cena heel turn?

• Paid Members
I really would love to see Hogan back in time for next year, but is there any real chance of it happening?

His TNA deal is up in October, so there's a good chance it'll happen. Anyway, this is TNA we are talking about. They let Flair go to the Hall of Fame and released Nash from his contract to do the Royal Rumble. They'll probably have him back after WrestleMania.

• Paid Members

With the WWE relying so heavily on old names to sell this year's show and that trend looking to continue next year, the show could well have a strong 'end of an era' feeling about it, which wouldn't be a good thing for the future of the company if fans don't feel there is anything to invest in going forward. They really ought to be thinking about how they can use WMXXX to establish a new age for the WWE, with a much stronger focus on current stars than they had this year. Much easier said than done, of course, but that's my hope.

I'd like to see Cena vs Undertaker more than any other possible main event. Honestly, its the only meaningful streak match that I can really think of now other than against Lesnar. I can see Cena vs Undertaker being a more likely main event though and Undertaker should headline Wrestlemania, I think even with better pacing; the two matches that followed Taker last Sunday would have struggled to live up to his and Punk's efforts so for the sake of Cena appearing as possibly the biggest threat ever to the streak and as a tribute to what may be the Dead man's last match it should headline.

CM Punk vs Triple H could be a really good match, the pair didn't get a fair chance in September 2011 with Punk's character leaving the crowds a little confused whether he was a villain or the good guy; paired with Triple H getting booed and the interference of Awesome Truth and involvement of Kevin Nash in the feud....I feel the fans were short changed on this feud. I'd much prefer this than Triple H vs HBK, not only would it be a good match the story would write itself. If Heyman is still knocking about too they could tie some sort of stipulation like "If Punk wins - Heyman becomes GM" or something like that to give it a little more stake if it wasn't for the Championship.

If he's free though I'd like to see Kurt Angle vs Daniel Bryan. I have no idea what Kurt Angle's TNA contract status is at the minute. The match could be that contest that is remembered as the best pure wrestling match similar to Y2J/HBK, Benoit/Angle and Angle/HBK after their respective Mania shows. Plus, its been a while since Bryan has been in a lengthy singles match and this sounds dead appealing.

WWE Championship match - Ryback vs Randy Orton. If the match hasn't already happened by then and Ryback remains solid and Orton gets a shot in the arm in terms of character and purpose then this could be a good one.

World Heavyweight Championship match - Dolph Ziggler vs Roman Reigns. I think if Dolph is kept away from matches that well....he's going to lose, he could be a solid World Champion and a match against rising face Roman Reigns would nice to see.

After last Sunday I have no interest in seeing another Rock singles match so I think it'd be better having him around elevating everything else rather than being the Champion or anything like that so in a similar role to his match at Wrestlemania 20 I'd like to something like....

The Rock and Sheamus vs Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins

Whether Reigns remains as part of The Shield or not I'd still like to see Ambrose and Rollins together as a tag team. This wouldn't even need much of a story other than Rollins and Ambrose targeting Sheamus; perhaps after being eliminated by him in the Rumble...after attacking him a few times, Sheamus has back up. The Rock.

Brock Lesnar vs Mark Henry. It could be amazing or absolutely shite, I'd like to see which one.

I definately have faith in Wrestlemania 30 being a good show even if it is far too far away to predict. Now that Rock/Cena and Triple H/Lesnar are done (I fucking hope) there are some potentially really good matches and feuds to be had.

I would be astounded if Michaels does another match. I think that he has no interest (from what Twitter says) and tbh be would have to guarantee a five star classic before he would consider it.

I can see them doing Undertaker vs John Cena, Rock vs Brock or at a big push Austin vs Punk. They have to have Cena vs Taker at WrestleMania at some point before Taker retires and I can't think of a better way to go out than at WM 30.

• Paid Members

Honestly, I can't really think to predict anything other than the rumoured giant matches that are already being discussed, mainly because I think it's completely impossible to predict who will be where in the pecking order, and whether currently pushed acts will still be so in twelve months time. Plus of course, someone can go from literally not being on TV to being in a high profile match at 'Mania in the space of six weeks, as Swagger did this year. Thinking about Ziggler, even though he's a champion now, assuming he loses it between now and next 'Mania, who's to say that he won't miss out on a 'Mania appearance altogether less than a calendar year after being champion, as happened to Swagger and Sheamus at WM27?

I expect the following to happen next year at the top end :

The Undertaker will be the marquee inductee into the Hall Of Fame as a mark of respect and to coincide the biggest WrestleMania of all time (in theory) with the induction of one of the greatest performers in WrestleMania history, if not the greatest, and also with Taker wrestling in the main event.

Taker vs Cena will go down and I'm still convinced Cena will turn heel and end The Streak in what turns out to be Taker's last match, transforming into the biggest heel in company history.

Punk vs Austin will happen, and Austin will win. As a traditional face v heel match, the heel will get his comeuppance at 'Mania.

Rock v Brock will happen, and whoever they have the bigger plan for will win. Depends which one they want to promote the next big dream match around, I guess.

HHH v Shawn will NOT happen for reasons given above. Shawn is done, and will stay done.

If Rock decides not to wrestle again and risk another injury, then they could try and get Batista in for a match with Lesnar. Failing that, I think Lesnar vs Sheamus would be quite a good brawl, if kept short-ish and high impact.

If Austin can't be tempted back for a program with Punk, I'd move heaven and Earth to try and subtly persuade Jeff Hardy to obtain his release from TNA, offer him a megabucks limited date deal and stick him in there with Punk, for the revenge he never got for Punk taking his title and ending his last WWE run.

For the celebration of 'Mania making it to 30 I'd try and get some involvement in some kind of skit or maybe ceremony of 'Mania's rich history from as many of the big names that have made it : Hogan, Piper, Million Dollar Man, Jake, Flair, Bret, Shawn, Big Kev, Rocky, Austin, Hunter, Foley, Jericho, Edge, and so on. Hell, I'd probably make some calls and see if the likes of Martel, Santana, Haku and Barbar had anything on that weekend as well.

Oh, and whatever the womens title match was, I'd put Cyndi Lauper in the babyface's corner.

I don't think I would put Punk/Austin and Taker/Cena on the same show, as one would take away from the other. Either is a big enough that the other wouldn't be needed. Something like Rock/Brock would be fine to have, as even though it's a big match to have, we've had it before and they're two part-timers so it would support a bigger match nicely.

I'd do Hulk Hogan and Sheamus vs. Roddy Piper and Randy Orton. With Superfly Snuka and Bob Orton in each corner. 30 years on, they should have some kind of reference to the main event that kicked it all off. A match like that would tell a great story to sell to potential buyers or lapsed fans. Either way Piper and Hogan should be there, they should interact and they should get their props for selling the thing initially. Also, Cyndi Lauper should go in the Hall of Fame.

Foley wanted Cowboy Bob and Snuka involved in the tag match at XX for the same reason. Snuka is looking really, really old these days though :(

• Paid Members
I don't think I would put Punk/Austin and Taker/Cena on the same show, as one would take away from the other. Either is a big enough that the other wouldn't be needed.

Fuck "needed." It's WrestleMania. You think of as many matches as possible that people might pay to watch with the talent and time available to you, and cram them onto the card. Spunk as big a load as possible. Both those matches deserve to feature on a WrestleMania and no other PPV, and time is running out for both of them to happen.

The Undertaker will be the marquee inductee into the Hall Of Fame as a mark of respect and to coincide the biggest WrestleMania of all time (in theory) with the induction of one of the greatest performers in WrestleMania history, if not the greatest, and also with Taker wrestling in the main event.

See I'd figure on The Undertaker going into the Hall of Fame a year or more after his last match, just because of how protective he is about the gimmick.

Archived