X Division Rule Changes

Robbie_G

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looked a decent size in TNA; he'd look a decent size in WWE nowadays too, he just unfortunately turned up during the era where everyone was 6 foot plus.

Actually.... Rhyno and WWE... any chance?

• Paid Members
I wouldn't exactly called Rhino a super heavyweight either. What is he, about 240?

Wikipedia says 270, but we all know how reliable Wiki is, so take it with a pinch of salt. I always thought he was more than 240 though.

Wiki's pretty reliable for trivial wrestling details, actually. We benefit from liking something with an obsessive internet fanbase there. 270 is probably what he was most commonly billed as, which is far less reliable for *truth* than Wikipedia. But if he was billed at 270, then I guess in the context of the TV show, we're to believe he's 270.

Nicely dragged that into pedantry, didn't I?

He looked a decent size in TNA; he'd look a decent size in WWE nowadays too, he just unfortunately turned up during the era where everyone was 6 foot plus.

Actually.... Rhyno and WWE... any chance?

Hasn't he got a fucked up neck? I don't think working on the road again full-time is a feasible option from his point of view.

Butch's favourite wrestler, Oeullet, was in the division as 'X' as well for a cup of tea. He was an impressive sight in his mask.

• Moderators
The point i was trying to make some of the bigger guys had some of the better x division matches, I thought abyss was interesting as an x division champ as well.

But that was because they added some interest by giving the Division some variation in styles. It really only serves to highlight the (at best) redundancy of the X-Division and that period then should have been the end of it.

I have to agree with you, I think it was alex shane who once said he though the x-division was loads of moves but little emotion and I think he was right with that.

Doug williams was an interesting x-division champ alot of the matches he had resembled the ones he had with storm and fliesch.

• Paid Members

Williams is always a good guy to have around for stuff like that, because the mat-based stuff he does is a good way for flippy guys to do cool stuff without having to bounce off the ropes straight away or kill themselves/each other with stupid dives. Keeps things grounded both literally and figuratively.

Anyway, on the debate in hand, I've gotta agree with Butch and say wrestling's past weight divisions now. It's sort of the one theoretical advantage wrestling has left over MMA - the fact that we can see a big lumbering powerful giant take on a small, speedy guy who's all finesse and skill (obviously with the caveat that it's not real, but if people have a problem with that, they won't be watching wrestling in the first place). I remember a few years ago WWE ran adverts for Raw pushing the fact that it could help you get away from the rules and restrictions of the working day, which is a solid angle to take and can only be helped by having a free-for-all kind of environment where the only limitation is your gender and whether you want to fight in a team (and even those can be ignored sometimes).

• Paid Members

I reckon TNA will have got bored of these new rules within about six months and they will be quietly dropped. Does seem ludicrous to be introducing such restrictions to their supposedly 'no limits' X Division.

I agree with the general consensus here that wrestling is past weight limits in 2013. I remember looking at the WWE roster page around WrestleMania time last year and noticing that virtually every champion in the company at that time was around the 220lb mark or under.

I remember a few years ago WWE ran adverts for Raw pushing the fact that it could help you get away from the rules and restrictions of the working day, which is a solid angle to take and can only be helped by having a free-for-all kind of environment where the only limitation is your gender and whether you want to fight in a team (and even those can be ignored sometimes).

Lucha's kind of already there I guess. I mean they're opening attractions at best but AAA do those eight man matches where teams are made up of a midget, a woman, a 'normal' (I couldn't think of a better term so that'll have to do for now) wrestler and an exotico. They tend to be pretty fun actually, just because its everything that the brand has to offer.

• Paid Members
I agree with the general consensus here that wrestling is past weight limits in 2013. I remember looking at the WWE roster page around WrestleMania time last year and noticing that virtually every champion in the company at that time was around the 220lb mark or under.

There was definitely that point around the turn of 2012 when they did that "champions team photo" that was Punk, Bryan, Rhodes, Ryder & Air Boom, so yeah. Beth was the Divas champion in it and probably outweighed them all.

Archived