X Division Rule Changes

Robbie_G

As of this weeks Impact TNA has changed the rules of the X Division stating that:

• weight limit of 230lb
  • matches will be triple threat rules
  • the loser of a title match will be illegible for the next title match

I know it's just TNA trying to get more interest in the X Division again but some odd choices especially as Kenny Kings billed weight is 230lb so any gain and he will be dropping the title and all triple threats seems a bit excessive.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This changing of the rules just seems like they are trying to create interest in a division they have pretty much ignored/neglected for ages.

That had a great thing going when Aries gave up the X Title so he could go for the World Title. It made the division look important and the belt a big deal. Unfortunately they followed that up by making shitty Zima Ion the champion. The belt should have gone to Kid Kash I think, as he was being all kinds of great at that point, both in-ring and in his grumpy-fucker character bits.

Kenny King is good, but Dutt is massively old-news and I'd rather they hadn't bothered bringing him back. York seems OK one minute, then a botch machine the next. RVD is gone now too, right?

They've lost a lot of great talent from the division of the last 2 years. Daniels, AJ, Joe, Kaz, Aries, Kash etc... The replacements have been rubbish for the most part.

I don't watch US Indies so I have little idea who they could bring in to boost things. I would have said PAC, Ricochet and Low Ki, but WWE has one of them, Low Ki is a knob (it seems) and I dunno about Ricochet. I'm pretty much just going from DG-UK, but he was awesome in all his matches that weekend and has a great, TV-ready look. To be fair, much like the situation with Michinoku Pro in the 90s, either WWE or TNA could bolster/build a cruiser division with a handful of Dragongate guys forming the backbone.

This changing of the rules just seems like they are trying to create interest in a division they have pretty much ignored/neglected for ages.

That had a great thing going when Aries gave up the X Title so he could go for the World Title. It made the division look important and the belt a big deal. Unfortunately they followed that up by making shitty Zima Ion the champion. The belt should have gone to Kid Kash I think, as he was being all kinds of great at that point, both in-ring and in his grumpy-fucker character bits.

I loved Ion's reign. I was really looking forward to Jesse Sorensen coming back and beating the piss out of him for the feelgood comeback title win, but it never happened.

looking through the roster on the website unless they start using Chavo and Joey Ryan in singles matches the X Division will be : Kenny King, Zema Ion, Christian York, Chris Sabin and Jesse Sorensen (if either ever come back from injury), (RVD is still listed but pretty much gone - also is over the weight limit) and Rockstar Spud. Others could be most likely wouldn't compete, they would do well to sign some indy talent but it seems WWE are way ahead of them signing up top talent from ROH etc

"All matches to be triple threats" must be about the dumbest, most pitiful rule ever. Right down there with all that sporty, handshakey ROH shit. What a way to limit your options.

If you want your matches to predominantly be 3 way dances ('dance' being the operative word in most cases with these daft cruiserweights), just have most of them as 3 ways. No need to hamstring themselves by making it a rule and taking away the prospect of good old 1v1 feuds and matches.

I guess it doesn't really matter either way seeing as the division's shit nowadays anyway, but those changes sure aren't going to make things better.

Ion's in-ring stuff is alright and he plays his part well in multiman matches, but his character is wafer thin. Think how great a heel Daniels is right now, he'd be much better as the X Division top heel than someone like Ion. Not that I'd break up Kaz/Daniels for a second, mind you.

The division is always better with a mix of young and veteran talent. That's why I'd have gone with Kash. He's a great, solid heel these days, and he can still work the pace of the matches. He's like Jerry Lynn, but with a strong character too.

• Paid Members

Petey Williams will be back, I imagine. He did some of those online PPVs for them. There's was talk a few months ago about bringing Jack Evans and Teddy Hart in, so maybe they will be there. Its 2004, after all. If we get some new names (which they need), it'll at least get some new faces on TV. It stuck with Aries the last time they threw shit at the X Division wall.

Honestly, if they'd have announced they were jacking the division in it would have came as better news. The X Division just doesn't hold up to anything anymore. WWE have better X style wrestlers in Adrian Neville, Kofi Kingston, Justin Gabriel, Evan Bourne and Tyson Kid, so the whole "alternative to WWE thing" is long since dead. There are way better X Division wrestlers knocking about the indy scene than what they have as well. And Dragon Gate, New Japan and AAA piss on them from a great height in that department. Its a pointless division unless you really go for it. When it first started Low Ki, AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn were hot acts who people wanted to see do their thing. Now its just another match on the card. Either bring it the hot talent you wont see anywhere else or get rid of it.

Yeah I avoided the results but had a look at the line up. Wasn't that a case of saving cash on these one-off PPVs though, rather than a long-term policy?

I more meant the visa issues they had with AAA talent. Sure, it happens, but it doesn't suggest great things for bringing in more international talent.

Archived