X Division Rule Changes

Robbie_G

Yeah I avoided the results but had a look at the line up. Wasn't that a case of saving cash on these one-off PPVs though, rather than a long-term policy?

I more meant the visa issues they had with AAA talent. Sure, it happens, but it doesn't suggest great things for bringing in more international talent.

Oh yeah absolutely. Didn't they even have issues with Canadian talent? Mental! I guess with these "bonus" PPVs they just decided "to Hell with it, use anyone". I'm sure if they really wanted a specific foreign talent for the regular roster, they'd still be able to sort everything out properly, in a more long term deal.

That's not to say they have any interest in actually doing so, of course.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, if they'd have announced they were jacking the division in it would have came as better news. The X Division just doesn't hold up to anything anymore. WWE have better X style wrestlers in Adrian Neville, Kofi Kingston, Justin Gabriel, Evan Bourne and Tyson Kid, so the whole "alternative to WWE thing" is long since dead. There are way better X Division wrestlers knocking about the indy scene than what they have as well. And Dragon Gate, New Japan and AAA piss on them from a great height in that department. Its a pointless division unless you really go for it. When it first started Low Ki, AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn were hot acts who people wanted to see do their thing. Now its just another match on the card. Either bring it the hot talent you wont see anywhere else or get rid of it.

+1. I especially agree about the WWE having a better X-Division roster. There was a mad period in late 2011/2012 where they had Morrison, Gabriel, Sin Cara, Hunico, Tyson, Yoshi, Barretta, Primo and Epico as well as the midcard superteam of Air Boom running riot in the Tag division as well as a few bigger names like Del Rio, Bryan or Ziggler who could've made up an absolutely fantastic little division if given the chance. By comparison, Aries, Shelley and Ion aside, the roster for TNA was very thin.

Trying to revive the X-Division or even booking that mythical WWE Cruiserweight showcould make for a very good wee Fantasy Booking Cup round scenario, methinks.

• Paid Members

It might be interesting if some sort of different concept was applied to one of the Mid/Upper Midcard titles though considering they've got the IC and US going, very little is done with them and they're more or less worthless. Anything involving the IC title has been a complete waste of time for years, doing nothing for the guys that have held it and in turn they've done nothing to boost the straps worth.

• Paid Members

No one seems to be mentioning how dull the triple threat gimmick will get given that not just the title matches, but every single x-division match will feature that gimmick.

Back when I was wrestling I hated getting booked in them as the amount of logical directions you can go in are much more limited, so you're forced to either go the contrived route or get risk repetitive, and that's gonna go double for the amount of 3-way feuds we'll enviable see.

This will all be forgiven though if they rehash the 'Christian/Chicken Suit' skits with someone trying to make weight, complete with Kurt Angle's "Hey, my chicken costume!" line.

• Moderators

Why do people give two fucks about Cruiserweight wrestling these days anyway? For the past 10-15 years a load of top stars have been less than 225lbs or so. The cruiserweight thing is dead. Good. There's enough smaller talent who's mainstream and doing well, and the flippy shit has been by and large filtered out of wrestling worth watching. Wrestling's stronger for it, so kill the X division. It's evolution. Wheat and chaff.

Smaller talent worth a shit has done well, the bad stuff has fallen by the wayside. No need for these divisions anymore.

• Moderators

I don't watch TNA anymore, but I watch AAA, so I'm with you.

Wrestling is so fucking backwards amongst many of it's fans though, isn't it? The X Division is an outmoded concept now, smaller talent is mainstream and successful, but those who claim they're fans of the small talent want to see it pigeon holed together on it's own at the bottom of the card, because that's the way it's always been. And godknows them doing well would be:

A) Change, and lord knows a lot of wrestling fans hate change (unless it's changing back to outmoded concepts)

and

B) They could be successful, and then those fans would resent them because they'd have made it and not be a little secret.

I really don't understand it.

Burn the X-division down, burn down weight divisions and style divisions. Wrestling has evolved way past that in the C21st.

The X Division is an outmoded concept now, smaller talent is mainstream and successful, but those who claim they're fans of the small talent want to see it pigeon holed together on it's own at the bottom of the card, because that's the way it's always been.

You know I sometimes wonder if that's why some Punk die hards say the things they do. The ones who think Punk's always being screwed over or set up these unrealistic scenarios for him where he can't possibly lose because he'll lost all his heat. The other day I read someone (somewhere else) say that the only justification for The Rock beating him is if Punk is to go over The Undertaker at Mania, and I suspect he knows it probably won't happen but now when it doesn't he can have persuaded himself that it should have and that Punk is being fucked over and under appreciated again so that even though Punk is high up the card he's still being held down by the man.

I don't watch TNA anymore, but I watch AAA, so I'm with you.

Wrestling is so fucking backwards amongst many of it's fans though, isn't it? The X Division is an outmoded concept now, smaller talent is mainstream and successful, but those who claim they're fans of the small talent want to see it pigeon holed together on it's own at the bottom of the card, because that's the way it's always been. And godknows them doing well would be:

A) Change, and lord knows a lot of wrestling fans hate change (unless it's changing back to outmoded concepts)

and

B) They could be successful, and then those fans would resent them because they'd have made it and not be a little secret.

I really don't understand it.

Burn the X-division down, burn down weight divisions and style divisions. Wrestling has evolved way past that in the C21st.

I completely agree with you, however I have to give TNA credit for how they used the X Div to push Aries up the card. His journey from being rehired to the World Title was some very effective story telling.

When Aries won the World Title that may have been the time to do away with X-Division, unifying the titles. The main purpose I'd have liked to see it serve is to stick it on Jeff Hardy so both he and the title seem somewhat important and keeping him away from the main event.

When they say that now every X-Division match is a 3 way, does that now rule out that we'll see 4-Ways for the title?(if they even have 4 X wrestlers on the roster)

Archived