DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched Blue Valentine last night, great acting from pretty much everyone in it but a bit depressing

Nothing wrong with that of course but it only really works if you see them dead happy for a fair chunk of the film, all you got was a bit of them pissing about in the street then him getting leathered by the ex and turning up for an awkward family meal straight out of Say Anything

• Paid Members

It was horrendous seeing those little scrotes, in fairness. And the older they get, the creepier they get. I can imagine them being like that at 40.

Jericho's face is starting to resemble one of the Ex Presidents masks from Point Break. Is he going down the Mickey Rourke route, because he can't deny he's had his face done.

• Paid Members

It was horrendous seeing those little scrotes, in fairness. And the older they get, the creepier they get. I can imagine them being like that at 40.

Jericho's face is starting to resemble one of the Ex Presidents masks from Point Break. Is he going down the Mickey Rourke route, because he can't deny he's had his face done.

His face was quite shiny when I met him. He's also a mardy twat.

Went to see Southpaw last night.

First off, the praise of "best boxing movie since Raging Bull" by some in the press. It isn't at all. It's very enjoyable, but not on that level by a long way.

Jake Gyllenhaal was great in this, and was great in the last film I saw of his which was Nightcrawler, and Forrest Whitiker turns in another strong showing.

And whilst I did enjoy it, the whole story was a hybrid of Rocky's 3 & 5:

* Billy Hope (Gyllenhaal)is the champ, as was Rocky

* At a media event, he gets accused of ducking a hungry young challenger including making lewd comments to the champ's wife, same as Clubber Lang does to Rocky

* tragedy befalls the champ as his wife is killed following an altercation between the two fighters at a charity event were a gun is used (wife replaces champs trainer)

* Hope loses his title to an underdog and then goes on a downward spiral grieving his wife and loses everything and has all his possessions auctioned off and moved into a scummy apartment (similar to Rocky in 5)

* he then retrains to get back to the top by going to a gym full of blacks (just like Rocky) and eventually regains his title from the fighter (who had become the champion in the meantime) who had the altercation with to begin the chain of events

Add into this a subplot of Hope having his daughter taken away and him having to prove to be a suitable parent.

Despite all of this, it was still enjoyable watch. A solid 7/10

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

We watched Lucy last night and I think it might seriously be one of the worst films I've ever seen - right up there with the Butterfly Effect.

Totally agree, while we are talking about The Butterfly Effect, I rewatched that a while ago and it had an alternative ending which was the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. That film actually works far better as a comedy.