DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
I really find it difficult to want to watch The Last Exorcism II because 1) I love found footage horror an don't know how I'll take to the change and 2) As you said, it's such an under-rated movie. I think the change in perspective might make me take it as a stand alone movie easier though. I think you've pushed me to giving it a go.

The switch from found-footage to regular movie kinda makes it the Blair Witch: Book of Shadows to the original, but while it's not as good as the first one, it's totally worth watching for the completely insane ending. The original's ending was ballsy, but this is something else.

I really find it difficult to want to watch The Last Exorcism II because 1) I love found footage horror an don't know how I'll take to the change and 2) As you said, it's such an under-rated movie. I think the change in perspective might make me take it as a stand alone movie easier though. I think you've pushed me to giving it a go.

The switch from found-footage to regular movie kinda makes it the Blair Witch: Book of Shadows to the original, but while it's not as good as the first one, it's totally worth watching for the completely insane ending. The original's ending was ballsy, but this is something else.

I loved the ending of the original.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I'm a fan of it because Marcus finds his redemption. It's such a great moment when he steps out there realising what's going on. I know it'd have been impossible to end on that note, but if that was the final thing you seen, it'd have been even better. The ending we get is great though.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Chalk me up as a fan of The Last Exorcist. It shits over most of the recent found footage films. I think I'll have to watch the sequel this weekend.

Yeah, I've had to dig deep to find good ones. Although I seem to like Grave Encounters more than most. The second one is dire, but the first one had me on the edge of my seat for about 50 straight minutes.

Other ones worth looking out for are Home Movie and Exhibit A. The latter being a really grim movie and built around the performance of the guy in the middle of it all, which is truly one of the best I've ever seen. Disturbing. Home Movie is disturbing too, but for other reasons. Really don't wanna say much about that.

• Paid Members
Chalk me up as a fan of The Last Exorcist. It shits over most of the recent found footage films. I think I'll have to watch the sequel this weekend.

Yeah, I've had to dig deep to find good ones. Although I seem to like Grave Encounters more than most. The second one is dire, but the first one had me on the edge of my seat for about 50 straight minutes.

Other ones worth looking out for are Home Movie and Exhibit A. The latter being a really grim movie and built around the performance of the guy in the middle of it all, which is truly one of the best I've ever seen. Disturbing. Home Movie is disturbing too, but for other reasons. Really don't wanna say much about that.

Cool, thanks for that. I'll check them out soon. Home Movie certainly looks interesting.

• Paid Members
Watched Compliance last night. Had been interested to see it since i'd seen it talked about on here, but i'm at a complete loss as to what to think of it.

I've seen it. It's a terrible film on many levels. Here's why:-

http://letterboxd.com/settingsun/film/compliance/1

Here's what I made of it. Stupid. Now, I can take stupid movies. But what makes this one so hard to take is that it's so close to what actually happened. How can people in general just be so fucking thick? It made me so angry to watch at times and it made it worse knowing that so much of what was going on actually happened. Credit to them for sticking to the facts so much and it might well be a story worth telling, but I don't want to hear it or see it.

• Paid Members
Here's what I made of it. Stupid. Now, I can take stupid movies. But what makes this one so hard to take is that it's so close to what actually happened. How can people in general just be so fucking thick?

This is why the film fails - these cases were not supposed to be about people being 'thick'. The reason these cases were so remarkable were because of the psychological methods used. The guy who did these calls was apparently a long time student of the methodology and results of The Milgram Experiment.

We all know there are some thick twats out there. This film completely fails to tell us anything other than that, and in these cases there is a LOT more to be said. It's a reprehensible piece of shit that completely misrepresents the crimes committed.

It's not necessarily that. I think the majority of people these days get that the police can't just demand something like that from you. And some guy just walking in saying this doesn't make their case any better. I know that if someone asked me that over the phone, I'd hang up instantly.

• Paid Members
It's not necessarily that. I think the majority of people these days get that the police can't just demand something like that from you. And some guy just walking in saying this doesn't make their case any better. I know that if someone asked me that over the phone, I'd hang up instantly.

The thing is that this guy was trading off anyone who showed even the slightest sign of being unsure when he rung up. He just needed a foot in the door and took it from there. Again, this film didn't do that.

I know we're agreed that this film was largely worthless but I think what disappoints me most about it is how it has left much of its audience feeling about some victims of some serious crimes as a result.

Excellent as always Astro; looking forward to the list! (after which I will download a whole bunch of the films you recommend and not get around to watching about 60% of them).

My Torrentday ratio's already taking a battering just from the preamble, and I doubt I'll ever even click "open in explorer" on them -- still, it's good to have a heap of them to get through. Cheers, Astro!