DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The only screening of Fury Road I can make on opening night is a 3D one, I'm not happy about it but at least with the Unlimited Premium card I don't have to pay any extra for it. There's no way I'm not seeing it opening night, and I'll probably see it in 2D opening weekend.

I'm writing an action screenplay in the 2 weeks before I start a new job, since I keep seeing production companies looking for them in mailing lists from sites like Inktip. It's an old-fashioned revenge story, I'm trying to take a slightly different angle on it but it's probably been done before. Anyway, I trust you cunts - a few good action/revenge films to watch for inspiration?

The only screening of Fury Road I can make on opening night is a 3D one, I'm not happy about it but at least with the Unlimited Premium card I don't have to pay any extra for it. There's no way I'm not seeing it opening night, and I'll probably see it in 2D opening weekend.

I'm writing an action screenplay in the 2 weeks before I start a new job, since I keep seeing production companies looking for them in mailing lists from sites like Inktip. It's an old-fashioned revenge story, I'm trying to take a slightly different angle on it but it's probably been done before. Anyway, I trust you cunts - a few good action/revenge films to watch for inspiration?

Not really an action film, but Get Carter is the greatest revenge film ever made. dead mans shoes is top as well

• Moderators

3D is the worst.

Actually no - I change my mind. I would sit through a film in 3d in exchange for it having no needless physics-defying ropey looking CGI in it (which is every fucking big film these days).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

. Fuck 3D though.

Hey! What has 3D done to you?

It's shit. Everything's darkened by the cruddy glasses & it nearly always comes across like a shitty gimmick. The only times I've thought it was OK has been in animated films.

• Paid Members

. Fuck 3D though.

Hey! What has 3D done to you?

It's shit. Everything's darkened by the cruddy glasses & it nearly always comes across like a shitty gimmick. The only times I've thought it was OK has been in animated films.

If not done right, agree. most of the blame has to come down to the projection when it comes to brightness etc. Also, its better when it is not seen as a gimmick. Hugo, TS Spivet and Gravity are three films that are enhanced due to 3D, but still good films without. None have what I would call gimmicks. 3D should be used to make you feel immersed in the world you are watching. Not just so someone can point a Cutless in your face (Pirates 4, i'm looking at you).

3D Cinema was ruined by being used as a tool to bump up ticket prices. It was often converted as an afterthought which lead to crappy 3d in films like The Last Airbender, Clash of the Titans etc. If converted properly it can work well. Jurassic Park 3D feels right and have heard, but not yet watched The Wizard of Oz. I don't go to see 3D films at my local Vue because the picture is too dark. But my local independent is always bright and clear, as is my TV. I do get why people dismiss it, but its usually because of a crappy 3d film they saw. Even Avatar convinced people it was a good film due to how good the 3D was!

• Paid Members

Avatar was dreadful. Even in 3D. I walked out of the cinema cursing James Cameron for not revisiting the Alien, Terminator or True Lies universe, in favour of that Ferngully meets Dances With Wolves nonsense.

It's in my top five worst movies of all time list:

1) The Mirror Has Two Faces

2) Open Water (doesn't get number 1 due to Blanchard Ryans wonderful nipples)

3) Avatar

4) Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

5) Any of those Epic/Distaster movie spoof types.

• Paid Members

Avatar was dreadful. Even in 3D. I walked out of the cinema cursing James Cameron for not revisiting the Alien, Terminator or True Lies universe, in favour of that Ferngully meets Dances With Wolves nonsense.

It's in my top five worst movies of all time list:

1) The Mirror Has Two Faces

2) Open Water (doesn't get number 1 due to Blanchard Ryans wonderful nipples)

3) Avatar

4) Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

5) Any of those Epic/Distaster movie spoof types.

I liken it to Dances with Smurfs

• Paid Members

Not really an action film, but Get Carter is the greatest revenge film ever made. dead mans shoes is top as well

Dead Mans Shoes is on Film 4 tonight.

• Paid Members

Watched It Follows last night. It was creepy and awesome. I definitely preferred it to The Babadook which seems to be most peoples favorite horror film for awhile. If you're not aware of the general concept, basically there's a curse that gets passed from person to person via sex, and when you've got it what happens is some kind of monster/entity will follow you slowly. It always knows where you are. It can look like anyone. No one else can see it. It can only walk slowly but it's smart. When it catches you it kills you and then moves back up the line. So even if you pass it on to someone else you are never truly safe because it can make it's way back to you. It's a fantastic film. Brilliant soundtrack, scary as hell and with great acting where you actually care about the characters. Highly recommended.

Agreed laGoosh

Really enjoyed it and the lack of explanation in regards to the origin of the entity I think made for a better film

The score is fantastic and it owes a lot to John Carpenter

I read they are looking to make a sequel where the origins are explored

Due to the first movie I'd watch that but I can just see them fucking it up Blair witch or Paranormal activity style for the cash

Edited by Big Bully Busick