DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I can only remember the line "Bow to your Sensei" from Napoleon Dynamite, which to be fair I use all the time.

It's a very forgettable film otherwise.

The bit where the uncle lobs a steak at him on his bike always raises a chuckle but not much else. The film's a lot less objectionable than the twats in 'Vote Pedro' T-shirts though.

• Paid Members

I have to agree, other then the dance scene Napoleaon Dynamite is boring.tried watching it 3 times over the years and each time I was bored by the time it was over. Not funny, unlikeable characters, and thinks its better then it is.

Yeah, we don't normally turn off films in this house, but that was turned off a good few times before I managed to get right through it. What a slog.

• Paid Members

Bill Paxton's cowardly marine owns Aliens - "We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!"

I went down a huge zipwire last weekend and considered quoting that on my way down.

Have you or any of you movie buffs ever heard of a scene that was never on any of these editions? It was a scene near the end where Ripley was going after Newt, on her way sure bumps into Burke who is all cocooned up with a Xeno about to burst out of him, he ask her to kill him, but she just carries on.

This scene is also in novel, and is probably a reworking of a deleted scene from Alien, where she finds Dallas all cocooned up. If you look again, you'll see that Ripley gives Burke a grenade so he can kill himself.

In hindsight, considering how much of a cunt Burke was, it's nicer to think that he got the middle of his head punched out straight after double crossing everyone that it is that he got a mercy killing from Ripley.

Big Lebowski & Spinal Tap trump both of those for quotability.

As does Airplane.

I've just finished working on an Alien video game, so I'm absolutely sick and tired of all things Alien.  Which is a pity, as I think the first 3 are all really good. Yes, I like Alien 3.  But I don't think I'll be able to touch the franchise again for some years, sadly.

On the upside, I got to work with some of the original cast, albeit via satellite.  And I met Lieutenant Gorman, who was indeed an asshole.

• Paid Members

Why gutted? Surely that's a good thing?

At that price I'm even considering it, and I don't have a Blu-ray player.

No I was responding to hearing it wasn't on Netflix. Really wanted to watch it tonight actually. You definitely can't complain about 4 films for £9.99.

• Paid Members

I've just finished working on an Alien video game, so I'm absolutely sick and tired of all things Alien.  Which is a pity, as I think the first 3 are all really good. Yes, I like Alien 3.  But I don't think I'll be able to touch the franchise again for some years, sadly.

On the upside, I got to work with some of the original cast, albeit via satellite.  And I met Lieutenant Gorman, who was indeed an asshole.

Would that be Alien: Isolation? I have that on pre-order for xbone. Sounds like it will be good.