DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Funny Paul Newman has been mentioned. I've recently watched 'Cool Hand Luke' and 'Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid'.

I'm not the type to watch "old" movies and only tend to watch those that I've seen growing up, but these and a few of the more well known 'Spaghetti Westerns' popped up in my download list so thought I'd give them a watch as I've got nothing else to do in my spare time.

'Cool Hand Luke' has certainly aged well, even with the 'of the era' dialogue. Newman is a badass and I really bought into the character. I could even relate to him which isn't something I tend to do when watching a film. His frustrations in the camp and reluctance to listen to authority had me thinking I'd probably react the same way. It was fun seeing a young Dennis Hopper in action too. And the blonde girl gave me a funny feeling in my pants.

'Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid' was like the opposite end of the spectrum really. I was expecting some badass western and was left with a whingy and whiny Butch Cassidy and a pretty wimpy Sundance Kid. The bicycle scene with the 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head' song just seemed so out of place, the song especially. I'm not even sure if this was meant to be a comedy at all but I just couldn't enjoy it.

That maybe be down to the fact I'd watched 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' the day before, which really was a good hard hitting western. It's biggest downfall is the dubbing, which is such a shame (though I do understand the reasons behind it). If that was better, and if the film was slightly shorter then it would have been a perfect film for me. Clint Eastwood just oozed coolness and I really had no idea what a good looking guy he was in his day. The Mexican stand off was really well shot (pardon the pun), and the score just added to its intensity.

I'm still to watch 'A Fistful of Dollars' and 'For a Few Dollars More'. Are they up there with TGTB&TU?

• Paid Members

You need to watch The Sting. Like, pronto. I reckon you'll love it, it's easily Newman and Redford's better collaboration.

As for the westerns, you should have watched those two first! They're still really good but The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is the best of the three.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Agreed on Butch Cassidy and The Sundance kid, weird film which wasn't what I expected at all. There were good scenes, mainly while they were being pursued but there where far too many montages and your dead on about that bicycle scene. The Sting is 10x better. BC&SK was a real missed opportunity for me.

On the other Clint-Leone films absolutely watch them, they are both great. I sometimes think I would place for a few dollars more above TGTBATU.

I forgot about The Sting. A friend of mine has been on at me about that for a while. I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

I only watched TGTB&TU first because it's the more well known of the three and I thought if I don't get into that then there wasn't much point in trying the others. I'll get them done.

• Paid Members
I forgot about The Sting. A friend of mine has been on at me about that for a while. I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

I only watched TGTB&TU first because it's the more well known of the three and I thought if I don't get into that then there wasn't much point in trying the others. I'll get them done.

GO AND WATCH THE STING NOW!

We'll wait here till you get back

Butch and Sundance was a buddy flick disguised as a western and in that respect it's fantastic because there's no arguing the chemistry between the two leads. I'm pretty sure the song was a contractual thing, it really is an odd thing. I really wish they had managed to do something together towards the end of Newman's career because they were just perfect together.

Cool Hand Luke is, for me, Newman's finest performance, can't fault it

• Paid Members

I'm going to see it on Thursday. I'm hoping my battered expectations facilitate a better than average experience.

Anyway, I watched American Hustle last week and it was decent. I did spend the first 1/2 of the film having to listen to some mong couple talking shite throughout, but I managed to block it out which is a credit to the movie/performances.

• Paid Members

I went in with people saying 'It's not actually bad' ringing in my earholes.

It's fucking dreadful and is completely devoid of humour, satire and any kind of intelligence whatsoever. Jacksons character is absolutely awful, as is Keaton's "villain".

I will say, that Kinneman chap played the part well enough though, given the material he had to work with, but all in all, a worthless, pointless remake that's almost as painful to watch as Total Recall.

The Towering Inferno is rather good though, isn't it?

Edited by Scott Malbranque

The Wolf of Wall Street has now gotten about four watches from me.

I can't even begin to describe how much I love this movie. Everything about it. I don't know what I expected from it, but what I have gotten is one of my favourite movies ever. One that I can watch over and over and over again and just not get bored. Hopefully going to see it tomorrow again with someone who hasn't seen it yet.

I was close to watchng it in the cinema at the weekend, but at 3 hours 20 I decided to hold off for the DVD.

I assume you are including the ads, as it's 3 hours long.

I saw this last night. Brilliant film. Absolutely hillarious. Don't know how anyone could watch it again straight away though. No film is that good.