Triple H Reviews

HarmonicGenerator

Lovely write up as per usual. The one thing that has always baffled me about the Summerslam match was the fact that it was unsanctioned, yet it was held in a WWE ring live on a WWE pay per view! It makes no sense, and yes, I know it's professional wrestling, and things don't have to make sense. So I've just contradicted myself.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I always tried to kayfabe-reason it to myself as "the promotion doesn't want to risk Michaels getting paralysed on their watch, but there's not much they can say to deny it if he's got a doctor's all-clear - so the most they can do is just not sanction it to distance themselves from it".

It's not brilliant, especially as they provided a ref and recognised a pinfall victory, but I find it's best not to get too bogged down in the logic.

• Paid Members

Just to clarify to Statto - yeah i meant WrestleMania 27. Didn't realise we're getting right into this right away. I'll start working on mine around the middle of the week - next weekend, i've got a shitload on at the moment but i'll definitely do it, looking forward to it and watching the match again. Haven't actually watched it since watching it live, so should be fun.

It might be a bit of a far cry, but is there any chance we could get YouTube links to these matches? As much as it pains me to say it, I've never seen that Summerslam match in its entirety, and it might be really useful to have links to the matches as well so we can all marvel in Hunter's excellence.

Brilliant write up though, the bar has been well and truly set.

It might be a bit of a far cry, but is there any chance we could get YouTube links to these matches? As much as it pains me to say it, I've never seen that Summerslam match in its entirety, and it might be really useful to have links to the matches as well so we can all marvel in Hunter's excellence.

There's plenty of Triple H matches on YouTube, Dailymotion etc, but I can't seem to find a full version of the Summerslam 2002 match. :(

• Awards Moderator

Brilliant write up though, the bar has been well and truly set.

I had to use my From The Vault DVD in the end as I couldn't find it online. Sorry.

Do they have to be singles matches (or at least every man for themselves matches) as I'd like to add a review of the night Triple H and Shawn Michaels finally became tag team champions at TLC 2009.

Any match is fine as long as HHH is great in it.

• Paid Members

One of my favourite Triple H matches is, oddly, the DX/Legacy match at Summerslam 2010. I know everyone felt their re-match was better, but I just loved this one - felt like a classic main-event tag war. If I can find the time, I might review it.

That unsanctioned match is really great, and was a major high point of an all around terrific SummerSlam that year.

One thing that STILL bothers me to this day, though, was the bit with the car window. So Trips joins HBK to do a DX bit, then turns on him in the ring and blatantly SAYS he's turning on him, THEN Michaels' head goes through the car and suddenly HHH is running around going 'I will find who did this to my friend Shawn'? I remember thinking 'OF COURSE IT'S YOU, YOU BASTARD'. When it was 'shockingly revealed' to be Hunter, I don't think a single person expected any less or was even remotely surprised.

That unsanctioned match is really great, and was a major high point of an all around terrific SummerSlam that year.

One thing that STILL bothers me to this day, though, was the bit with the car window. So Trips joins HBK to do a DX bit, then turns on him in the ring and blatantly SAYS he's turning on him, THEN Michaels' head goes through the car and suddenly HHH is running around going 'I will find who did this to my friend Shawn'? I remember thinking 'OF COURSE IT'S YOU, YOU BASTARD'. When it was 'shockingly revealed' to be Hunter, I don't think a single person expected any less or was even remotely surprised.

Yeah I always thought it was daft, they never even really hinted that it could be anyone else so it obviously was always going to be Triple H, I suppose it dragged the story on for a couple of weeks though rather than endless 'we used to be best mates, now you're going to get a good hiding' promos between the two

Nice review of the SummerSlam match. I remember watching at the time and thinking it would be the one off match from Michaels. Instead we got him returning to the ring on a full time schedule where he ended up having one of the best runs of his career. Another moment I really like from the feud is during Survivor Series 2002, Saliva are playing Always at Times Square and a video package for Survivor Series is playing. There is one part where the song goes into a breakdown and it Triple H is shown hitting Michaels with The Sledgehammer. Quality video. Nobody puts video packages together like the WWE.

Do they have to be singles matches (or at least every man for themselves matches) as I'd like to add a review of the night Triple H and Shawn Michaels finally became tag team champions at TLC 2009.

I thought that match was absolute pants, to be honest. The worst TLC match ever for me.

One of my favourite Triple H matches is, oddly, the DX/Legacy match at Summerslam 2010. I know everyone felt their re-match was better, but I just loved this one - felt like a classic main-event tag war. If I can find the time, I might review it.

I preferred the submission match, but sweet Jesus, that SummerSlam entrance has to be one of the best if all time. Just elaborate, ott fun.

The second half of the HBK/HHH - Summerslam 2002 match bothers me a bit, with how Micheals does the kip-up and makes a big comeback after his back being dessimated by HHH for over 10 minutes, but still love the match nonetheless.

For once, im slightly disappointed by Micheals' selling lol

Archived