Royal Rumble Reminisce

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I did this thread last year and it kind of spawned the Rumble Review thread this year, so i wasn't going to bother doing it again this year. But fuck it, i enjoyed it and got me suitably in the mood and amped up for the Rumble so let's do the same and have a little reminisce as it's officially Rumble weekend now.

Everyone loves the Rumble, don't they? Even the most miserable of bastards and supposed 'non-fans' seem to get a kick out of the 30 Man, Over the top Rope Elimination Spetaculganza! And why wouldn't they? Pat Pattersons baby is undoubtedly one of the finest concepts ever conceived for wrestling and only seems to get more popular with age. January would be totally rubbish and dreary if it wasn't for Rumble season and the start of the long road to WrestleMania for many. It's such a nifty tool to kick-off angles for WrestleMania and i love it dearly as you can probably tell.

So let us get into some Rumble fever and discuss some of our favourite and classic Royal Rumblus moments from the past 26 years. Some of the following points should be good to go by:

What do you consider the best Royal Rumble?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble build-up angle?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble in-match angle?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble spot?

What do you consider the greatest individual performance in a Rumble?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble elimination (could be visual, comical, or awesome for any other reason you like, go nuts)

Who/what is your favourite Royal Rumble surprise entrant?

What is your favourite Royal Rumble moment?

What do you think will happen and what do you want to see happen in this years Rumble?

• Awards Moderator

You're not wrong. As a casual fan at best, this is the one event that always grabs my attention.

The Benoit/Heyman one.

Michaels desperately trying to win a few years back in order to get his rematch with 'Taker, but falling short at the final four hurdle.

Performance suggests in terms of what they did, but in terms of contribution I loved Punk's sermon in the ring a few years back as he binned off one entrant after the other until Triple H came out.

What is your favourite Royal Rumble elimination (could be visual, comical, or awesome for any other reason you like, go nuts)

Whoever it was who nearly bounced off his own head after a clothesline a few years ago. London, was it? EDIT:

. No question.

Morality aside and thinking of my reaction at the time, Benoit winning. But screwing my head on, from the same Rumble, the Lesnar/Goldberg thing. Again, based upon my reaction at the time and not what followed.

What do you think will happen and what do you want to see happen in this years Rumble?

I can see Ziggler going from 1st/2nd and being in the final four, only for Cena to dump him out. What I'd like to see? Rock to beat Punk, but Punk to come in and win the Rumble.

HBK's obsession with another match with Taker

Legacy being the very first team to actually work as a team

Maven eliminating the Undertaker

Ted Dibiase in 1990, first heel that put in a long performance who everyone wanted to see eliminated

Alex Riley in 2011, because the commentators stuck to the script and didn't realize it had happened!

Cena 2008

8 years after his last top run in WWF, Mr Perfect bossing the rumble alongside Austin, Tripper and Angle

Expecting a surprise winner who would then be in the opening match of Mania!

Hoping for Joel Redman or Pac enter and make an instant impression

Maybe Batista / Triple H, although it could be the aftermath that's polluting my opinion here.

Michaels, as said above by another poster. The eventual elimination was done superbly to the point where many I knew, including myself, question if he fucked up and fell accidentally for a moment.

Angle and Michaels, because I really wanted to see them have a feud and matches. I enjoyed the months that followed.

Ric Flair,1992 (closely followed by Bobby Heenan at the same event, if that counts)

Undertaker, by Maven, as it was so unexpected, and again, at the time, I questioned whether it was intended or not. I love being worked!

Mr Perfect - my favourite as a kid and I never expected a 2002 return.

The Triple H / Austin double act of 2002 where they went at it, then eliminated whoever came by, then went at it again.

Ryback will win! Not sure what I want to see as I don't care as much nowadays.

For me my personal favourite is 1999. It was my first one to watch as a kid and the entire event has a huge nostalgia feel for me. Obviously there are better ones technically and I love 2001/2002/2003 and 1992 but 1999 is ultimately my favourite.

Austin and Mcmahon in 1999. Just a great build up.

Lesnar F-5 ing Goldberg in 2004 setting up the dream-match at the time for Wrestlemania XX...How did that turn out again?

John Morrison walking the barricade in 2011.

Rey Mysterio for lasting the longest ever in 2006 purely for his time in there

Even though he technically wasn't an entrant it has to be Taka Michinoku in 2000

Kevin Nash in 2011.

Vince tearing his quads in 2005 just because.

[/b]

I think the likely outcome is Cena winning it. Ryback will have a strong showing but ultimately get eliminated by the Shield. Final Four of- Cena, Ziggler, Sheamus and Orton. I'd like to see Lesnar win it and face Rock at Mania personally. Just hope it'll be a good Rumble really.

Inspired by the Rumble Review thread, I've spent the past few weeks digging up VHS tapes of Rumbles, it's been great fun and reminded me why I love the Rumble so much, depending on the year I sometimes love the Royal Rumble more than Wrestlemania. It also reminded me of a lot of things I had forgotten about.

I definitely had a lot more Royal Rumbles than I realised, probably the majority, notable omissions include 1998, 2001, 2003 and 2004.

Toss up between 2002 and 2007.

Not specifically for the Rumble itself but a match at the Rumble, I love the way they implemented the Beat The Clock Challenge to set up Mr. Kennedy's title shot in 2007.

1999's Austin/McMahon dealio. The fact that Austin actually got bested made it so much better too. Hate fairytale endings.

Maven eliminating the Undertaker and the subsequent shitkicking he got for it.

Gotta be Flair in '92, right? The best ironman effort in Rumble history, I reckon.

Maven on Taker, for the shock factor, crowd reaction and 'Taker's facial expression when it happened.

undertakershaircutcantbelieveit.jpg

Honourable mention to the Paul London SSP bump. I don't care how ridiculous it was, it was cool as fuck.

Oh, for god sakes!

Mr. Perfect. I don't really know his prime career work, but for him to enter the 2002 Rumble and start kicking all these main eventer's arses was magical. Beautiful Perfectplex too.

Vince blowing his quads and sitting in the ring like a toddler, because I'm evil like that.

A mixture of thinking/hoping, but: Ryback wins the Rumble by eliminating Cena, Big Show wins the world title at Elimination Chamber setting up Ryback vs. Show at Mania.

• Paid Members

Bushwhacker Luke's original 3 second elimination, makes me laugh everytime i see it.

I haven't seen many pre-1997 Rumbles, so forgive me for not answering 1992. I have very fond memories of 2008, that's probably my favourite. Honorable mentions go to 2000 and 2001.

I think it'll probably be 2004 with Benoit. My memory of this is slightly askew as I wasn't watching much wrestling at the time. In fact, it probably wins via process of elimination because I can't really remember there being a much better build-up in recent years.

Has to be Maven eliminating The Undertaker and the chaos that followed. I popped like a motherfucker when it happened.

Taka. Or John Morrison doing his barricade thing a few years back.

This is a difficult one. HBK's 2010 performance is hard to argue against here, especially considering I wasn't particularly fussed on the build up, but he pulled it off extraordinarily well on the night. Benoit in 2004 was sweet too.

Kane eliminating Tazz in 2001, x eliminating Taka in 2000, Maven eliminating Taker in 2002.

Cena was a fantastic surprise, and the moment where I really started to take to him finally. Diesel was quality in 2011 too. I popped big for Edge in 2010.

Again, Cena in 2008. It was perfect. Brilliant crowd, brilliant match up to then, the right winner. Just a phenomenal spectacle. Wrestling at its finest.

I don't actually buy into Cena winning this year, I think it's a bit too obvious. I've thought for a while that whoever loses the WWE Title match will win the Rumble, and at the moment I'm torn over who that may be, no matter how much it looks like Rock is winning at the moment. Apart from that, I see nothing surprising happening in the slightest.

• Paid Members

1989 - It was the first rumble I saw, I had it on VHS and it was never off the TV

I loved everything that was linked to Warrior, Slaughter, Savage at Rumble 1990. The Slaughter promo, Sherri trying to get a match for Savage by being a freak. The attack by savage at the top of the ramp.

Alss, if it counts, the skit where Dibiase draws a low number so buys number 30 from Akeem... brilliant

Tricky one, but I couln't believe how excited i was when Earthquake and Yokozuna looked at each other in 93 and got ready for battle

It happens at a lot of rumbles, but I do love it when 7 or 8 midcarders pile on the BIG guy who is trapped against the ropes. The big guy fights back and flattens them all.

Obvious but Flairs run in the 92 rumble was mint. I have alsways had a soft spot for Martels run in the 91 rumble too.

Got to remention the 93 rumble again, savage stupidly going for the pin on Yoko, and Yoko pressing him over the top rope to go on for the win.

Bloody hell, the 93 rumble was unreal thinking back.... I might have to say Giant Gonzales for pure shock value and the face to face / beat down of undertaker.

Well, its daft, but the way Luke just continues to do the bushwacker march back up the ramp just after his 4 second elimination.

I dont know, hopefully, the more 'rumble spoilers' i ignore, the more chance i have to be surprised by a random enterant. I think there will be some nostalgia and i think some one will be eliminated as soon as they enter the ring.

yep, I love the early 90's.

• Paid Members

Janetty/HBK in 1993

Rey Mysterio somehow managing to stay despite so many larger wrestlers in there with him in 2006.

John Morrison's parkour to avoid elimination.

Punk dominating the entire Rumble a couple of years ago, he could do no wrong.

2009 and Santino, he wasn't ready.

John Cena at the Rumble at Madison Square Gardens.

Not for the right reasons but the 2005 Cena-Batista mess up then Vince ending up on his backside had me laughing so much that was worth the

• Paid Members

Its a mix up between the 2001 and 2004 rumbles. '01 had Austin and Kane going balls out, '04 had Benoit going all the way, Foley returning and Angle and Goldberg tearing shit up as well.

HBK entering the 2010 rumble to get his re-match against The Undertaker. By the time it had all built up, i could feel a man tear building up in my eye when Shawn lost his gripping on the ropes and was eliminated.

Foley taking out Test and taking his place in the '04 edition.

Paul London's insane shooting star bump to the outside. Yeah, it meant nothing in the grand scheme of things but it was fucking beautiful.

Santino in the 2011 rumble. The fact that he, of all people, got fans to give a damn and believe that he could actually win it. For a few seconds at the end, i thought he had it and i was amazed at the crowd heat. All from fucking Santino, for Christ's sake.

Jerry Lawler's elimination from the '97 rumble. The way he gets up from the announce table, mid-sentance, pops in the ring and gets thwarted in milliseconds by Bret, then only to return to the table and continue rambling like nothing happened whilst holding his cheek in pain...fucking brilliant. It takes a king to know a king.

Cena at '08. Totally out of left field and the Garden just blew its load.

The entire HBK/Undertaker exchange during the closing minutes of '07. Cracking stuff.

What i think will happen; honestly, not much. This years Rumble is spread very thin, not only on potential winners but also the talent pool in general. We'll get a few token comedy spots and surprise entrants but nothing that will surpass (or even match) some of WWE's better, earlier efforts. What i want to see is, obviously, the complete opposite of that...

1992, for the sheer star power and the fact it is the only time the WWF/WWE title has ever been up for grabs in the Royal Rumble match.

Thinking outside the box here and although it isn't my favourite, I seem to remember some debate by Cornette as to whether Luger would be allowed in the 1994 Rumble match.

Austin in the 1997 Rumble by re-entering after being thrown over the top rope

Kofi's hand stand was cool.

to me Diesel in the 1994 rumble as it was the beginnings of him becoming a player in the eyes of the WWF audience. But special mention to Flair equally for the same reasons in 92

HBK Superkicking Diesel out in 1996

Mr Perfect in 2002

HBK/Taker finale in 2007

I would love to see Cena screw over Rock out of jealously or even as payback for costing him the title at Wrestlemania 27 & beating him at 28, but Cena would not turn heel.

Would also love Ziggler to attempt to make good on his comment about winning both belts at Wrestlemania.

Pat Pattersons baby is undoubtedly one of the finest concepts ever conceived for wrestling and only seems to get more popular with age. January would be totally rubbish and dreary if it wasn't for Rumble season and the start of the long road to WrestleMania for many. It's such a nifty tool to kick-off angles for WrestleMania and i love it dearly as you can probably tell.

I've always argued that the best concepts in wrestling are normally simple ones that are executed well. I'd say the Rumble falls into that category.

From a booking POV it has proved very effective over the years, to the extent that even when I have very little faith in WWE's creative direction in general it's one of the few things I have faith in them not to mess up.

1990. There have been better ones in terms of storytelling, workrate, etc. (although DiBiase's performance deserves a lot of credit) but I guess I'm just a mark for bright colours, nostalgia and a roster full of characters. :blush:

Even though I was a fan at the time (and even still have a video with a bit of Superstars with one of the Report Cards) for it I don't remember seeing 89's until years later when it came out on VHS over here so this was the

first Rumble I remember and the best roster bar far (even though 89, 92, 01 and 02 were very strong as well).

Having the WWF (Hogan), IC (Warrior) and Tag (Andre and Haku) champs all in there seemed a big deal at the time.

The babyface (Piper, Roberts, Rhodes, Snuka in his last real push, Santana) and heel (Savage, DiBiase, Brown, Martel, Rude, Perfect, Honky) sides were stacked and it was the only one with the 'Big Three' babyface tag teams (Demolition, Harts, Rockers) of that era all in it.

Perhaps because of that I just love Vince's voice-over on the introduction package more than any of the others. Even when I recorded over all my old Sky Channel/Sky Movies PPVs with films as a teenager, I kept the start of that on there for that reason.

Honourable mention: 1990; 1992; 1997; 2001 & 2004

Hart/Austin in late 1996-early 97 by a million, billion miles. Other than the Lawler feuds (SSlam 93; the Raw brawl after the Mother's Day match), etc. Hart was normally a pretty cool customer.

Austin's constant taunting that turned his loss at Survivor's into a positive, Bret's almost bitter moaning about HBK costing him his WWF title match at the last PPV (and he was quite right to complain why Michaels had been out there to commentate on his match with Sid), the chair angle on Superstars, the fan cam of the House Show footage from the UK all made the whole product seem unpredictable. You really did feel like those two hated each other and they were all over TV every week.

Bret was normally so stoic you really felt like Austin was getting to him. At the time it didn't feel like it was leading to a heel turn (not until the night after the Rumble itself) but McMahon's criticism (and the sceptisim when Bret guaranteed victory) combined with Cornette, Ross and Lawler, in particular, did a good job selling that Bret was getting really, really frustrated. Austin did an equally great job as the obnoxious bully who realised if he couldn't beat him physically, he was determined to break Bret mentally. The Rumble was Bret's chance to put everything (including the finish of last year's WM) and regain his sanity.

Honourable mention: The whole Vince McMahon/Steve Austin/Commisioner Michaels stuff and Shane training Vince leading up to 1999.

The Mega-Powers teasing their breakup in 1989. It's so easy to justify either side depending on who you were the bigger fan of. Elizabeth torn between them, trying to get cooler heads to prevail was well done. Loved the rest of their angle back then and wish I'd seen that and I already considered it the best booked storyline WWF have ever done.

Honourable mention: Demolition drawing numbers #1 and #2 (also 1989). The top tag team, and Champs for almost a YEAR at that point, going at it was something you just didn't see back then. They've tried similar since but it lacked the gravitas this seemed to have. Michaels and Undertaker carrying over from closing 2007 to starting 2008 was shockingly good long-term booking for the current era.

Big Bossman eliminates himself, resulting in my boy Naitch clearing the ring in 1992 only for the buzzer to go off and down sprints Roddy Piper.

Ric Flair running the gauntlet against the entire WWF roster heel and babyface en route to the upset victory. Everything from Flair's entrance, to Bobby Heenan's commentary to the post-match promo all worked together perfectly.

To this day it is one of a select few matches ever where I was able to totally suspend disbelief at his performance in there. I think there is a lesson in that in that disbelief towards wrestling doesn

Archived