UFC 156: 'Aldo vs Edgar'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had it Round 1 and 2 for Aldo and 4 and 5 Edgar with 3 being up in the air - maybe a draw imo. Dissapointed to hear it was 49-46 by 2 judges.

Loved Reem getting battered by Bigfoot. Felt bad for Uncle Creepy and Fitch who really didn't have a chance to do anything! Maia is a beast at 170.

Perhaps it was my passion for Edgar to win that made me think it was closer than perhaps it was. It was a cracking fight though. I''ve only seen Aldo in the UFC and this was his biggest threat and win (as I say, only based on what I have seen from him in UFC) but props were they are due.

• Paid Members

I had it for Aldo 48-47, with Edgar taking rounds 3 and 4. For me, it was the right decision, but again, some of the scoring we see from these judges is pretty suspect. Credit to Edgar, he came back strong into round 3 after it seemed Aldo was comfortable after the second. You just can't write him off, what a warrior. Anyone else think he still looks undersized at 145? I know Aldo is a big Featherweight, but Edgar looked much smaller still.

Dana must be gutted about Bigfoot and Little Nog winning like that. Overeem and Rashad seemed locks for the next title shots at HW and MW providing they won. Reem's cockyness came back to hurt him and Rashad just never got going at all. Real disappointing stuff, I guess it does mean we get Overeem/JDS though.

Well, Overeem losing has knocked the heavyweight division down a peg or two. There is virtually no challenger that I think I'd be excited to see Velasquez face. Silva, Nelson, Nogueira & Dos Santos have all been handily beaten, so whoever they put against him next won't really have me amped.

What the fuck happened to Rashad Evans? He looked terrible in that fight, and surely has to be seriously considering a drop down to middleweight, although I doubt he'll walk right into a titleshot on the back of a performance like that.

All in all, a decent event, even if it wasn't great.

• Paid Members
Anyone else think he still looks undersized at 145? I know Aldo is a big Featherweight, but Edgar looked much smaller still.

There was talk this week that Edgar could probably cut to 135 fairly easily. It was brought up in the Countdown and Helwani asked him as well. He walks around at about 155-160 which is around the same as Urijah Faber. Frankie's one guy who I could realistically see being the first 3 weight world champion in MMA history.

As for Aldo vs Edgar, like I say, I'll have to rewatch it but live I thought you could make a decent case for Frankie taking the last 3 rounds. The fact some people on here thought he won rounds 3 and 4, then others thought he won rounds 4 and 5 show there's an argument to give him each of those last 3 rounds. Defo not a bad decision either way though. I think it comes down to how you score the 3rd.

As for Aldo vs Edgar, like I say, I'll have to rewatch it but live I thought you could make a decent case for Frankie taking the last 3 rounds. The fact some people on here thought he won rounds 3 and 4, then others thought he won rounds 4 and 5 show there's an argument to give him each of those last 3 rounds. Defo not a bad decision either way though. I think it comes down to how you score the 3rd.

I'm fine with either winning as it was a close fight, it wasn't a robbery like Benson Henderson/Frankie Edgar II clearly was. I do have a problem with the two 49-46 scores. I can see the argument for Aldo winning three rounds, not four.

Well, Overeem losing has knocked the heavyweight division down a peg or two. There is virtually no challenger that I think I'd be excited to see Velasquez face. Silva, Nelson, Nogueira & Dos Santos have all been handily beaten, so whoever they put against him next won't really have me amped.

I thought the exact same thing.

The best challenger I can think of is Werdum if he beats Nog.

Edit: I agree with Wand, Rogan was annoying during Rasahd vs Lil Nog. His cheerleader act for Edgar was pretty bad also.

• Paid Members

Agreed that Werdum would be best but like I said a few times, Werdum vs Nog isn't happening until Summer. Which would put Cain vs Werdum in late 2013. I doubt Cain sits out that long.

Plus what if he sat out nearly all year for Werdum and then Nog won? I doubt they'd do Cain vs Nog 2.

Cain's gonna have to fight someone else in the meantime. It won't be the huge deal Cain vs Reem would have been but that's title reigns. Not every title defence will be a blockbuster. Cain vs a Nelson, Hunt or Struve wouldn't set PPV alight but it keeps Cain rolling until another contender (Werdum? Barnett?) emerges.

Maybe they'd even throw Cain vs the Hunt/Struve winner on FOX or something?

Hunt or Nelson vs Cain would be fair enough.

I would not want Struve though, despite being in the UFC for 4 years. I think it would be a waste to feed him to Cain at such a young age. He is growing as a fighter, but is still very much a prospect in my opinion. Give it a few more years.

Agreed that Werdum would be best but like I said a few times, Werdum vs Nog isn't happening until Summer. Which would put Cain vs Werdum in late 2013. I doubt Cain sits out that long.

Plus what if he sat out nearly all year for Werdum and then Nog won? I doubt they'd do Cain vs Nog 2.

Cain's gonna have to fight someone else in the meantime. It won't be the huge deal Cain vs Reem would have been but that's title reigns. Not every title defence will be a blockbuster. Cain vs a Nelson, Hunt or Struve wouldn't set PPV alight but it keeps Cain rolling until another contender (Werdum? Barnett?) emerges.

Maybe they'd even throw Cain vs the Hunt/Struve winner on FOX or something?

My thought was for Barnett, but I read on Junkie that Dana said that's not going to happen (at least just yet). Will be interesting to see what Cormier will do if he runs through Mir.

I had it 48-47 Aldo, I love Edgar but Aldo looked great.

I jumped out of my seat for the bigfoot KO.

I absolutely loved Maia vs Fitch. I was fascinated watching Maia dominate but not been able to finish off Fitch, who was amazing in his defence. I know that fight wasnt for everyone, but anyone who loves BJJ will probably feel the same as me and love Maia at 170.

• Paid Members

Barnett would be great but he's 1-1 in his last 2 fights and the win was over a nobody. He could really do with at least one biggish UFC win I think.

I would not want Struve though, despite being in the UFC for 4 years. I think it would be a waste to feed him to Cain at such a young age. He is growing as a fighter, but is still very much a prospect in my opinion. Give it a few more years.

I agree that he's probably not quite ready but what can you do? He's on a 4 fight winning streak (5 if he beats Hunt), all stoppages. I don't think any other UFC HW is on a 4 fight streak are they? Bar Cormier but he might be dropping to 205 soon.

Struve on paper is as deserving as anyone else at the moment. He's young but you can't not give him a shot based on that. If he's really gonna be a contender he'll get there again anyway. Getting a title shot before he was ready didn't do GSP any harm in the long run.

Archived