UFC 156: 'Aldo vs Edgar'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree that he's probably not quite ready but what can you do? He's on a 4 fight winning streak (5 if he beats Hunt), all stoppages. I don't think any other UFC HW is on a 4 fight streak are they? Bar Cormier but he might be dropping to 205 soon.

Struve on paper is as deserving as anyone else at the moment. He's young but you can't not give him a shot based on that. If he's really gonna be a contender he'll get there again anyway. Getting a title shot before he was ready didn't do GSP any harm in the long run.

This reference will not be lost on you as a boxing fan, but I would fear it could bring about a Meldrick Taylor.

Struve would get mauled by Cain, like badly. Struve has been knocked out and beaten before, but the beatings that Cain give out over a prolonged period of time are very harmful. Its not like when he got caught with Travis Browne where he could think "i just got caught" with Cain he beats you to a points in must be soul destroying.

GSP was from a talent perspective ready in 2004, it was just experience that beat him and Hughes did not exactly cause any long term damage. We all saw JDS face after Cain, he attacks in a way that cause serious damage. Struve has heart and has had some of the worst cuts in MMA, but I do not think he should be fed this year. His confidence could drop to a point where it would never recover.

Hunt and Nelson old enough where it would be now or never. In the case of Hunt it really should never be!

I agree the lack of challengers means Struve may get the shot, I just hope for his sake he does not.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh I agree with what you're saying. Your last sentence there sums it up for me.

In an ideal world Struve would take more time. He's shown a fair bit of improvement in recent fights in my opinion. His striking looks a bit better and he's a little better using his reach now. Most importantly he seems to be fighting smarter and not taking as much damage in recent fights. Ideally he'd take more time to build on these improvements before stepping up to challenge for the title.

But...we know how it works. Cain needs a challenger. And if we go on who deserves it on recent results, baring in mind the top contender just got wiped out, few deserve it more than Struve on paper. And if offered I think Struve will jump at the chance.

So yeah I don't disagree that Struve might not be ready, but it is a fight that I wouldn't be surprised to see get made if Struve impressively beats Hunt and he would deserve it regardless of us not fancying his chances.

Sadly, I think 7 times out of 10 Struve beats Hunt.

If Hunt lands it is lights out though, as you said Struve uses his reach better these days. He also seems to get into the fight the more it progresses.

At this point if Werdum is not a option, amazingly I say pull Nelson from fighting Kongo and put him and Cain on FOX

• Paid Members

Cain vs Big Country might be the best option. Roy's coming off 2 first round KOs and the stint as TUF coach. He's experienced, tough, enough of a danger to sell him as a legit threat and enough of a name.

I'd say pull Kongo out and do Kongo vs Gonzaga. And by the time Cain vs Roy is done hopefully we'd have more options like Werdum (if he beats Nog), Barnett (if he gets a good UFC win) or even Bigfoot (with another win). Plus JDS or Reem might be back in the win column by then.

As for Hunt vs Struve, I'm not sure with that. Struve by submission seems likely but I've got a feeling Hunt KOs him. Struve should be pulling guard quick time in that one I reckon.

Kongo vs Gonzaga makes sense, good choice. I know people have suggested Rashad vs Shogun, but I think they should do Lil Nog vs Shogun. I think Rasahd should go down to 185lbs, maybe that will give his a new lease of life. I believe he was just lazy in training and that reflected in the fight. Lil Nog did look pretty good at some points though. Rashad vs the winner of Stann vs Wand would be a excellent intro fight for him at 185lbs

I felt Overeem lost the fight more than Big Foot won it. Overeem was just too cocky, you have to give Heavies a certain amount of respect with their power. I really wanted Overeem to win, he looked like a fucking megastar coming out to Axwell. Techno music and MMA are a match made in heaven.

I scored Aldo vs Edgar 49-47, I had the last round even. Edgar won 4, I could have also scored round 3 a tie. 3 and 5 is where the debate will be. Either way I felt Aldo won. Aldo I felt was just more talented and refined, Edgar had him beat in cardio and digging deep though. He did a lot better than he had any right to, as much as I have slagged him for being a business bust and not selling his fights, Edgar has the heart of a lion.

Oh and I was wrong, Goldberg does not keep Rogan on his lease. He was almost as overbearing with the Lil Nog and Edgar cheerleading as he was with Cain/JDS. I like him, but he seems to have a theory/story on a fight and stick with it throughout the fight. It is very annoying.

• Paid Members

Yeah I was saying I want Little Nog vs Shogun 2 as well. Nog's been after that rematch for ages. He mentioned it before his UFC debut against Luiz Cane, he's brought it up every time he's been asked who he wants to fight, he's campaigned for them to coach TUF Brazil and he mentioned Shogun again before this Rashad fight. It's a fight he's well up for and I think it would bring out the best in him.

One thing about Little Nog, aside from his UFC debut he's fought wrestler after wrestler after wrestler. It's been rough and he had mixed results but in the long run it's been great for his overall game because it's forced him to really improve his wrestling. He seems like he's finally got that down now with the Rashad and Tito wins.

But yeah, let's have Nog vs Shogun 2.

On Frankie, I'm a big fan. Ever since the Tyson Griffin fight. He's not a hype man but he's awesome to watch. I'd like Frankie,vs Guida next myself. I've wanted that fight since 2007.

Forget Nelson, give Kongo the shot! He's the only guy to really trouble Velasquez at all in recent times!

I agree that Kongo gave Cain some problems in their last fight. Trouble is that was June 2009. Kongo is now 37 years old and has not looked impressive at all in recent fights. KO'd by Mark Hunt, nearly KO'd by Pat Berry (before a superb comeback amittedly). A draw with Travis Browne and a very boring win over Meathead do not make him a number 1 contender.

For me you have Werdum, JDS, Struve, Hunt, Nelson and Big Foot before you even consider giving Kongo a title shot.

On another 156 subject does anyone not think that the event posed serious questions about the Blackzillions? Reem and Evans looked terrible. Melvin hasn't set the world on fire since he went there. I bet you Greg Jackson was smiling while watching Evans because to me has has gone backwards as a fighter (same as Guillard) since he moved from New Mexico.

As for the Reem. It's amazing the difference in a fighter and how they look before they are being tested regually and when they are put under random drug testing. I'm sure the two are not related though!

I agree that Kongo gave Cain some problems in their last fight. Trouble is that was June 2009. Kongo is now 37 years old and has not looked impressive at all in recent fights. KO'd by Mark Hunt, nearly KO'd by Pat Berry (before a superb comeback amittedly). A draw with Travis Browne and a very boring win over Meathead do not make him a number 1 contender.

I wasn't actually serious to be honest, I was simply highlighting the extreme lack of viable opponent for Velasquez.

For me you have Werdum, JDS, Struve, Hunt, Nelson and Big Foot before you even consider giving Kongo a title shot.

You've also highlighted the serious lack of real talent and viable opposition for Velasquez with that list right there. Dos Santos is the only opponent who even stands a chance of competing with Cain, unless we see a freak KO or something.

As for the Reem. It's amazing the difference in a fighter and how they look before they are being tested regually and when they are put under random drug testing. I'm sure the two are not related though!

I personally thought Overeem looked fantastic for the first two frames. It appears that coming off the gas has given him more stamina, and a better top ground game! His undoing was his sheer arrogance and lack of respect for Silva's stand-up.

No doubt he'll be back, and hopefully he'll have learned his lesson.

You've also highlighted the serious lack of real talent and viable opposition for Velasquez with that list right there. Dos Santos is the only opponent who even stands a chance of competing with Cain, unless we see a freak KO or something.

That's always been a big problem with the HW division. You have had 2-3 fighters who are in the upper echelon and the rest of the pack are no where near their talent level. The only fighter that I could see having problems with (apart from JDS) is Cormier. That fight isn't going to happen.

I personally thought Overeem looked fantastic for the first two frames. It appears that coming off the gas has given him more stamina, and a better top ground game! His undoing was his sheer arrogance and lack of respect for Silva's stand-up.

No doubt he'll be back, and hopefully he'll have learned his lesson.

I was going to reply to this then I realised you where fishing for a bite!

• Paid Members

I don't think Overeem looked great for the first 2 rounds, round 1 was a strange feeling out process, Overeem was initiating them clinches and he was doing little damage whilst in them. Judging by Silva's corner's comments at the end of round 1 it seemed obvious that Bigfoot's gameplan was to survive the first round and come on in the 2nd and 3rd which is what happened. Overeem had a good second but old questions were asked of him again and he failed them, Overeem's lack of cardio and his tendency to totally wilt as a fight goes on is still there. The question for years has been has Overeem gotten over it, but he clearly hasn't.

...and despite Rogan's erection at cageside, Overeem did not look the same fighter to me, you may disagree but i did not see the frightening power we've come to expect. Mad props to Bigfoot though, i got a soft spot for the big fucker, it's always great when you see someone get their cumeuppence and Bigfoot provided Overeem's with style, and as Dave said, the complete lack of respect for a Silva's standup was just baffling and he got what he deserved.

Oh, Overeem's ring entrance was quality though with the techno-house music going off, it really felt like a massive fight. Great stuff.

As for the world title picture, it's all to cock. I personally would have no problem with them sending Bigfoot in there. I know Velasquez descimated him but Overeem's come back and KO'd the no. 1 contender and arguably the best prospect in the division. What Bigfoot has going for him as well is his look, the guy is not a normal looking guy and i think that sometimes works in his favour, he's marketable without really trying to be marketable and i think the UFC may give him a shot. The fact that they are probably trying to set Cain up asap works in his favour too.

Few other thoughts:

* Not really sure what i scored Aldo-Edgar, first two rounds were clearly Aldo's, 4th was Edgar's. 3 + 5 were the ones that were difficult to score, i was siding towards Edgar in both but i aint if i was being swayed by Rogan's commentary or not. Edgar's problem was that he didn't hurt Aldo at hall, he throwing flashy little combo's but nothing ever made Aldo flinch and the gulf in difference between the power in the fighters strikes is probably what swayed the closer rounds to the champ.

* Rashad Evans errrrrr. Considering he had a potential title fight at stake, he didn't show any urgency to hunger to want to fight. A lot of people questions Evans' urgency after the Jones fight, he didn't fight that night either and most people put it down to him fighting Jones but it seems like Evans is suffering some kind of gun-shy mental block, it was a horrible performance.

I'll echo Wand's comments about Rogan's critisicm of Lil Nog though, thought that was totally uncalled for, i thought Nog fought a smart fight and clearly outboxed Rashad round 2 & 3, it was a very first safe type performance it a difficult matchup for Lil Nog, i thought he handed in a way in which he had too.

* Rogan really pissed me off all night.

* The Flyweight fight was quality and was one of the few so far that showed how good the scrambles are 125. For some reason most of the fights seem to be taking place on the feet but i wanna see em roll around and scramble for position all night, crazy fast. Benavidez has to be next for the title doesn't he? who else is there?

* Demian Maia holy fuck. That was one of the most satisying 'boring' fights ive ever seen, there was very little action but just seeing how easily Maia handled Fitch was just jaw-dropping. Casuals may not have enjoyed it but they have to understand who Maia was handling. I can guarantee that Maia is the 170lb'er people least wanna fight after that.

* Strikeforce fighters are now 5-0 over UFC fighters. Fair play they are tearing it up...who questioned Tyron Woodley on a previous page?? To come back from a KO loss to win like that shows what kind of character he has, Woodley talked all week of how much the KO loss had helped him and it looks like that was true. Brutal. Think Hieron's off back to the little leagues.

* Bobby Green/Jacob Volkmann was excellent, people always bitch about a fighter like Volkmann but i always say, when you have someone who can stop a grinder doing his thing it equals and excellent fight and that's what happened. Bobby Green's a great addition to the division, little bit of attitude and a willingness to stand and trade, lots of good fights to be had.

Very good show, i even found the 'boring' fights entertaining.

I really enjoyed the show. My favourite moments were Silva finishing Overeem and Maia totally dominating Fitch.

I loved Silva knocking out Overeem, although it does really fuck the title picture at heavyweight. Werdum would be the best option if he beats Big Nog, but that fight is still a few months away. It's a shame Barnett didn't have time to pick up another win, I'd like to see him face Cain. I'm sure Cain would win but it's a fight and like to see and I've always been a fan of Barnett.

Maia was amazing in that fight, taking down Fitch with ease and keeping him down, despite not getting a finish that was one hell of a performance by Maia.

I had it 48-47 Aldo. I gave him the first 3 rounds and Edgar the last 2. It was a close fight but I think the decision was right. I don't really know where they go with Edgar now or what division he will want to fight at. Aldo/Pettis would be amazing, I'd look forward to that way more than I did Aldo/Edgar, I really hope they make that fight next.

Reem losing did fuck things up, but lets be honest, even if he had grinded Bigfoot down in Round 3 like he did in the previous two rounds, everyone would expect Cain to outclass Reem and finish him by Round 3 anyway. He wasnt exactly impressive on the ground or standing up in this fight. Cain would destory him, I think, even standing.

A year ago, Evans completley owned Phil Davis with his wrestling and ground game. Did Rashad even go for one takedown in this match? Seems like unbelievably bad tactics on his part.

The size on Tibau, especially his arms, was crazy. To fight at 155 and look like that, he surely must cut more weight than nearly anyone else in the UFC. The size difference between him and Dunham was laughably huge.

• Paid Members
A year ago, Evans completley owned Phil Davis with his wrestling and ground game. Did Rashad even go for one takedown in this match? Seems like unbelievably bad tactics on his part.

think he went for 3 or 4, got a brief takedown early his other attempts were easily shrugged off. It was weird shit.

Archived