UFC 156: 'Aldo vs Edgar'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I didn't realise this was so close until they mentioned it on the commentary last night during the Brazil card. 2 weeks away!

aldo_vs_edgar.jpg

MAIN CARD

Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar - UFC Featherweight Title

Rashad Evans vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Alistair Overeem vs Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva

Jon Fitch vs Demian Maia

Joseph Benavidez vs Ian McCall

FX PRELIMS

Gleison Tibau vs Evan Dunham

Jay Hieron vs Tyron Woodley

Jacob Volkmann vs Bobby Green

Yves Edwards vs Isaac Vallie-Flagg

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Chico Camus vs Dustin Kimura

Edwin Figueroa vs Francisco Rivera

The main event is about as close to a superfight as we have in the lower weight classes. A fight that came about by circumstances. Both are/were champions in their respective weight classes. Edgar at 155lbs and Aldo at 145lbs.

frankie_edgar_josealdo.jpg

Aldo has been unstoppable at Featherweight;

15r00hw.gif

aw70hv.gif

1_14_12_10_2_50_47.gif

He's buzzsawed through the opposition with style and what seemed to be ease at times;

20111214021231_press__jose_aldo.JPG

While Edgar had the Rocky road to the title, winning upsets;

nepfj1.gif

and coming through all out wars by the skin of his ballbag;

4.gif

EdgarKOsMaynard.gif

Yo Adrian.

After a dodgy as fuck decision loss to Ben Henderson in August, Edgar finally agreed to drop to 145 and challenge Aldo. It was meant to happen at UFC 153 in October.

ufc-153-poster.jpg

But Aldo went pissing about on his bike and came flying off it. The fight was cancelled. But now it's back on and providing nothing shit happens in the next fortnight, they'll finally meet in the Octagon in just 2 weeks...

20121031-111949.jpg

The co-main event pits 2 of my favourite Light Heavyweights fighting to stay afloat in the loaded 205lbs division...

'Suga'

Rashad.gif

VS

'Little Nog'

tumblr_mb2f2xTrtH1rr8wbto1_500.gif

By all accounts, Nog's been putting in some serious roadwork with his big bro;

1ile2q.gif

And because I'll never tire of it...

3.gif

..ever.

As if that wasn't enough...

f_tadgut75ih8m_075c231.jpg

That's right, Alistair Overeem;

85493364.gif

meets Bigfoot Silva;

Bigfoot.jpg

Overeem has scoured the MMA community for quality sparring partners for this fight, as you can see here...

Overeem-kicks-little-girl.gif

he did eventually find a training partner of similar frame to his upcoming opponent...

post-37238-1297711216_thumb.jpg

Bigfoot-Hulks-Out-500x500.jpg

marellarobertbio.jpg

"The irresistible force will indeed meet the immovable object"

Rounding out the main card we have a battle of the grapplers between Jon Fitch;

Jon_Fitch(1).jpg

and Demian Maia;

demian-300x199.jpg

And a flyweight clash between Joseph Benavidez;

JOSEPH_BENAVIDEZ.jpg

and Uncle Creepy;

mma_g_mccall_sy_268_display_image.jpg

xdt94k.gif

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering when this thread would go up. The Nog's GIF was the highlight. Really nice find!

The Superbowl weekend PPV is arguably the UFC's biggest one of the year (other contenders: first PPV of the year, Memorial Day weekend, Independence Day weekend and the last PPV of the year). Hope it's better than last year's Superbowl show. The main card for this show is a quality one from top to bottom and one the UFC should look to put on every time. This is a stacked main card, looking forward to every fight on it. The headliner is my most anticipated fight of the year and it's one I'm having difficulty predicting. There are times I think Aldo will do it and then Edgar becoming only the third man in UFC history to win UFC Championships in two different weight classes. If Edgar didn't lose that horrible decision to Henderson in their second fight for the UFC Lightweight Championship, it wouldn't be happening.

Early predictions: Edgar by Decision, Evans by Decision, and fan of Tesco's by first round KO.

EDIT: Another factor to consider is the weight cuts of Aldo and Edgar. Aldo's had problems in the past and this is Edgar's first time out as a Featherweight. Be interesting to see if it's a factor in their fight.

• Paid Members
EDIT: Another factor to consider is the weight cuts of Aldo and Edgar. Aldo's had problems in the past and this is Edgar's first time out as a Featherweight. Be interesting to see if it's a factor in their fight.

I expect Edgar will have no problems with the cut. He was cutting basically nothing to fight at lightweight. He walks around at around 155ish from what I've read. And coming from a wrestling background, I expect he'll know what he's doing.

Aldo on the other hand, yeah, he's been complaining that the cut to 145 is getting harder for a while now. He's said himself that if it was up to him he'd move up to 155 now but Andre Pederneiras wants him to stay at 145 for now and defend his title some more until he thinks he's fully ready for the bigger boys.

It's a fascinating fight. Aldo will actually be the bigger man on the night despite Frankie coming down from the division above. I'm picking Aldo to win. Not sure if he'll stop him. But Frankie, you just never know with him. He's a smart fighter and he's been in with the best. Whatever happens, this is the toughest opponent Aldo will have faced to date in my book.

I'm going with Rashad on points and Reem by KO in the other 2 fights.

I expect Edgar will have no problems with the cut. He was cutting basically nothing to fight at lightweight. He walks around at around 155ish from what I've read. And coming from a wrestling background, I expect he'll know what he's doing.

Aldo on the other hand, yeah, he's been complaining that the cut to 145 is getting harder for a while now. He's said himself that if it was up to him he'd move up to 155 now but Andre Pederneiras wants him to stay at 145 for now and defend his title some more until he thinks he's fully ready for the bigger boys.

It's a fascinating fight. Aldo will actually be the bigger man on the night despite Frankie coming down from the division above. I'm picking Aldo to win. Not sure if he'll stop him. But Frankie, you just never know with him. He's a smart fighter and he's been in with the best. Whatever happens, this is the toughest opponent Aldo will have faced to date in my book.

I'm going with Rashad on points and Reem by KO in the other 2 fights.

Like you, I don't think Edgar will have a problem cutting weight. I look forward to seeing if Aldo can carry on his Featherweight form to the Lightweight division when the times comes. Aldo as a Lightweight would be another quality addition to the deepest and best weight class in MMA.

If Aldo wins, it will be either by KO/TKO or decision. The only way I see Edgar winning is by decision. I don't think Aldo will be the first to stop Edgar but it's his toughest ever opponent. Edgar is a tough bastard. Aldo vs. Edgar is the biggest fight in the Featherweight division since Aldo/Faber at WEC 48, it's bigger than that fight as well.

I think if anyone can stop Edgar, it's Aldo. I'm picking Aldo by KO, Rashad UD and Reem KO.

What a fantastic card. As said, the Superbowl weekend is always a time for big fights. I feel like UFC 126 was big in name only, and of course 143 lost GSP, so it ended up being a kind of regular PPV. This year, we have name competitors that consistently deliver exciting fights.

The main event is a super fight in every sense, and for me what makes it so intriguing is that Aldo has a more vicious style than anyone Edgar's faced so far. Aldo will bring the pain, Edgar can take it better than just about anyone. That fight simply cannot suck. The only thing is Aldo's weight cutting difficulties... it would be a funny turn of events if Edgar was to win then Aldo jumped to LW.

I'd love to see Lil Nog gain some real legitimacy in the UFC with a big win against Rashad, but his kryptonite has been wrestlers, coming unstuck against Bader and Davis, and Rashad is a better wrestler than both of them.

Overeem is a lot quicker than Bigfoot, who I feel has a very lumbering style. Cain blitzed him and then Browne blew out his knee early in that fight. I see a quick stoppage there.

Fitch/Maia I'm hesitant to get excited about. Fitch showed more aggression last time out, but would he take the same risks against someone as talented on the ground as Maia? I think Maia has looked better at WW than he did at MW, he's really been on a tear, and I'd like to see it continue.

Benavidez vs. McCall is the perfect PPV opener. Really hoping Uncle Creepy gets it, he seriously needs a win. It's crazy, a win could see him as the no. 1 contender, a loss could see him booted from the UFC, being winless in 3 fights.

UFC on FOX next week, UFC 156, then the Rumble... wow we have some good action to hit our TV screens in the next two weeks! :D

EDIT: Ahahaha, just noticed this. Arianny wants Reem's dick BAD.

85493364.gif

From top to bottom, this is a better Superbowl weekend main card than the 2011 and 2012 Superbowl weekend PPV's.

Shane O' Mac Version 2 brings up a good point about Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar. Aldo's the best striker Edgar will have fought not forgetting Aldo's brutal leg kicks. Edgar can take punishment and survive, that's going to be tested in this fight.

I'm excited for a Fitch fight providing Fitch fights like he did last time out and Maia continues to be BJJ Maia we've seen in his last two fights than K1 Maia.

I think McCall's safe for now Shane O' Mac Version 2 with the draw against the guy who went on to become the first UFC Flyweight Champion and more than anything, Flyweight's weak.

Edgar can take punishment and survive, that's going to be tested in this fight.

That has been a problem with Edgar, the best chin for me is one that does not get hit. He sure gets himself into a lot of trouble in fights. Sure they are exciting and dramatic, but its a quality that highlights a weakness in his game.

I am 50/50 on this fight. Aldo can probably will catch Edgar, but Aldo has not looked untouchable over the years. Hommnick had him in trouble and Florian did better than he had any right to with someone with the hype of Aldo.

Aldo was able to shut down Faber and other wrestlers, but Edgar is better than anyone Aldo has ever faced. both in the speed and wrestling department.

This fight could resemble JDS vs Cain 2, with Edgar as Cain, but then again if Aldo catches him with his accuracy, I cannot see him letting Edgar off the hook like Maynard did. I want Aldo to win as he seems to be more accepted as a star in Brazil than Edgar is in the States, but really I am just looking forward to the skill level of this one, it is a bit of dream match on the quiet.

Elsewhere, Rashad on points and Overeem by Tko. I am playing my bets safe there.

• Paid Members

To be fair wasn't there meant to have been something up with Aldo before the Hominick fight? I could swear he was either ill or had a really shit weight cut for some reason. Either way Hominick fought out of his skin on that night. Turned out it was his last stand and I think Aldo underestimated just how stupidly tough Hominick was.

The Florian fight, I remember thinking Aldo schooled him everywhere. It wasn't his best or most spectacular performance but I don't recall Kenny troubling him in any way.

As I recall, Rogan and Goldberg were ridiculously biased on the commentary for that fight. I was quite baffled and bemused that they somehow seemed to be seeing Florian winning rounds I saw as him losing handily. Thankfully the judges made a rare correct call.

I agree with the overall point though, if Aldo is finding the cut hard and doesn't put Frankie away early doors, then he might struggle with a guy like Frankie down the stretch. Then again, people said similar about Chad Mendes.

Aldo had weight cut issues with Homnick, if he has them with Edgar he is in trouble.

The Florian fight he did clearly win by a mile, I was just not that impressed. Aldo did nothing in that fight that wowed me, like he did with Faber and Mendes. Florian was a bit of a spoiler though, so he could have made Aldo appear worse than he was.

I am comparing him to mega high standards (Anderson) as he was touted so highly before that as being so good Anderson would retire if he was Middleweight.

• 2 weeks later...

Not long until this event now, so I thought I'd give my opinions and picks on some of the bouts;

Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar - I'm seriously stoked for this fight. My head says that Aldo gets the win via stoppage late on, but it's unwise to discount Frankie in any fight. I think it'll be a cracker, and I reckon it's Aldo by stoppage in the third frame.

Rashad Evans vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - Another interesting bout. Rashad has sort of fallen off the radar since he lost to Jones nine or so months ago, so it'll be good to see him get back in the cage.

There's been a lot of talk about Evans dropping to 185lbs, where he would more than likely be one of the frontrunners to face Anderson. He thinks he'd do well in such a bout;

"It would be a tremendous honor to have held the belt in two different divisions, but also the chance to compete against Anderson Silva," Evans said during a UFC 156 media call. "He's one of my favorite fighters to watch, I get excited every single time I get a chance to watch him fight. When my career is all said and done, I want to be able to look back and say I competed against some of the best guys ever in history. For me to be able to get the chance to compete against Anderson Silva; it would be an amazing experience and something I'll take with me forever."

"I believe I can beat Anderson Silva and I believe that the skills and stuff that I have is something he would have a hard time dealing with," Evans added. "But to compete against the guy, first and foremost, would be an honor in itself."

That would be an interesting fight. For now though, I see nothing but a decision win for Rashad against Nogueira this weekend.

Alistair Overeem vs Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva - Quite simply, if Overeem keeps this fight standing he'll beat Silva relatively easy. Bigfoot has to want to take this fight to the ground, it's really the only way he can win.

A tough call. I'll go with Overeem by 2nd frame stoppage, but if Bigfoot gets him to the ground I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the submission/TKO win.

Jon Fitch vs Demian Maia - Another interesting fight, and unfortunately I have a feeling that one of my favourite fighters will lose via submission, seeing any last chance at a welterweight title shot disappear. Fitch keeps fights on the ground, and I can't see Maia going 15 minutes on the floor without locking up a sub of some sort. Fitch has great submission defence, but he's not superhuman.

Joseph Benavidez vs Ian McCall - I'm assuming this fight will bring us the next title challenger for Mighty Mouse. I'll be honest, I'm not overly fussed by this bout. Both guys lost to the champion already, and I don't see them doing any better the next time around.

As far as the prelims go, the legend that is Jacob Volkmann is back! He promises that he has some shit to say regarding MMA/UFC in the post-fight interview, so that should be interesting. That's assuming Rogan even bothers speaking to him.

• Paid Members

haha, i get the feeling Volkmann is going to shoot himself in the foot with the interview, his mouth gets him into trouble...i see him outwrestling Bobby Green so we may get to see it.

The main card is tremendous, but im up for every fight (loving the UFC vs. Strikeforce vibe on the prelims). Aldo/Edgar is gonna be similar to the Hominck fight, but if Edgar can survive Aldo at full pelt i really think he has a chance down the stretch. I think everyone's thinking the same way though.

It feels like Evans and Lil Nog have been out of the cage for aeons, Lil Nog is the type of fighter that i think is done, then will come back and pull something off but i don't think he holds up against an athletically superior Rashad, still i can't wait for this one.

Reem/Silva...don't blink. I genuinely feel we may see Overeem fall apart here though, he's been on such a good streak that people tend to forget that he tends to completely crumble when the pressure's on. If Bigfoot is stupid enough to stand in front of him though...GOODNIGHT IRENE.

If Maia comprehensively beats Fitch does anyone think that puts him right up there for a crack at GSP? I do.

One of Edgar's strengths is durability, the other is his movement. Both of those will be tested by Aldo, I can see Aldo using his trademark leg kicks to hamper Edgar's movement and ability to shoot for takedowns. Aldo has vicious leg kicks. The main card is great top to bottom on paper and I hope it lives up to the potential. This is the most exciting main card for me in a while.

• Paid Members
Jon Fitch vs Demian Maia - Another interesting fight, and unfortunately I have a feeling that one of my favourite fighters will lose via submission, seeing any last chance at a welterweight title shot disappear. Fitch keeps fights on the ground, and I can't see Maia going 15 minutes on the floor without locking up a sub of some sort. Fitch has great submission defence, but he's not superhuman.

If anyone can submit Fitch, it's Maia. I'm really not sure how this fight will go. It's a really interesting one. I wouldn't be too surprised if Fitch actually tries to just avoid the ground altogether in this one. He might try to use his wrestling to keep it on the feet where Maia is much less of a threat.

Maia is great at getting fights to the ground though. It's probably the most underrated aspect of his game. The way he threw Chael Sonnen on his head was scary. And at 170 he seems stronger. He's only 2 fights in at the weight and he's already taken down Stun Gun from the clinch (yeah Stun Gun got injured but it was as a result of what Maia did, he still took him down), and the clinch is usually a Judo guy's best area. Then he easily took down Rick Story who is a strong wrestler himself.

I can't wait for this fight. I really like the look of Maia at 170 and I liked Fitch's more attacking style last time out. I think he'll be more conservative here though. If it hits the ground he'll have to be.

(Ebb)

If Maia comprehensively beats Fitch does anyone think that puts him right up there for a crack at GSP? I do.

Me too. Hendricks will still most likely be ahead of him though, so Maia would probably have to fight once more if he beat Fitch. Maybe Maia vs the winner of Condit/Rory 2?

Joseph Benavidez vs Ian McCall - I'm assuming this fight will bring us the next title challenger for Mighty Mouse. I'll be honest, I'm not overly fussed by this bout. Both guys lost to the champion already, and I don't see them doing any better the next time around.

I agree but it still should be an excellent fight in it's own right.

haha, i get the feeling Volkmann is going to shoot himself in the foot with the interview, his mouth gets him into trouble...i see him outwrestling Bobby Green so we may get to see it.

We will defo get to see it because it's on the FX prelims :)

EDIT - oh never mind, I misread that. I know what you mean now.

The main card is tremendous, but im up for every fight (loving the UFC vs. Strikeforce vibe on the prelims). Aldo/Edgar is gonna be similar to the Hominck fight, but if Edgar can survive Aldo at full pelt i really think he has a chance down the stretch. I think everyone's thinking the same way though.

If this fight is anything like Aldo vs Hominick I'll be chuffed. I loved that fight.

Reem/Silva...don't blink. I genuinely feel we may see Overeem fall apart here though, he's been on such a good streak that people tend to forget that he tends to completely crumble when the pressure's on. If Bigfoot is stupid enough to stand in front of him though...GOODNIGHT IRENE.

Exactly. I think Reem should win this. Definitely. But if Bigfoot can make it through the first few minutes when Reem's at his most lethal, he could make it an ugly fight and possibly pull off the upset. It's a slim chance but when you're the size of Bigfoot, with power and a solid ground game, you've always got a shot.

And we've seen in the past when Overeem doesn't put guys away quick, he doesn't perform nearly as well. It's like he expects them to drop early and if they don't it zaps his confidence. The last Werdum fight is one example of this, and of course the fights where he's started off great only for the other guy to come back and put him away when he fades/mentally crumbles (Liddell, Shogun x2, Sergei). In some ways, he's kind of like the strikers equivolent of Frank Mir for me.

I'd be mildly surprised if Overeem loses this one though, Bigfoot's sometimes a slow starter and that could be bad for him against someone like Reem who throws everything with the intention of breaking bones right out the gate. I don't see Bigfoot weathering the storm but stranger things have happened.

Maia needs to go for a arm with Fitch.

The Erick Silva and Sanchez fights prove Fitch has no neck!

Overeem has the weak link out if the names in the Heavyweight class, Big Foot is big name due to the Fedor fight but he does not offer much standing. Big Foot got very lucky with Travis Browne, if Big Foot does none thing well its cause damage when the fight is going his way.

Overeem should win, but there remains questions about Overeem that Wand has mentioned numerous times, that would leave me not as shocked as some if Big Foot pulled of a upset.

Great card that I am looking forward to, but I am skipping the preview show as I cannot see it being anything more than a boring standard countdown show, Aldo does not speak English and Edgar is not exactly captivating. Primetime and Road To The Octagon have left the standard preview shows looking very 2007 and bland.

Great card that I am looking forward to, but I am skipping the preview show as I cannot see it being anything more than a boring standard countdown show, Aldo does not speak English and Edgar is not exactly captivating. Primetime and Road To The Octagon have left the standard preview shows looking very 2007 and bland.

Have to agree. Normally I watch the preview show and any sort of pre-fight thing I can get my hands on when I'm really excited for a card such as this, but I actually think in this case it might dampen my excitement for the show.

I was showing my mum some good MMA KOs last night, she loved Aldo for his flying knee on Swanson and his celebratory dance, but then she hit nurse mode when I showed her the Barboza wheel kick, and started talking about the dangers of concussion etc. I'm thinking this card could contain some pretty nasty finishes. Of course if Aldo catches Edgar with something spectacular that likely shoots him up in the P4P category, but I can easily see Rashad putting out the lights of the slower Nog, and I love how, in the poll, no one is giving Bigfoot a shot in hell at even surviving against the Reem. :D

Archived