UFC 156: 'Aldo vs Edgar'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I completely forgot Erik Silva was fighting this weekend til a friend at work pointed out there was a photo of him in some UFC 156 Photo's he was looking at. Looking forward to his fight now also

Nah, he's off the card. Woodley is his replacement.

Shane O, watch Woodley vs Marquardt if you haven't seen it. Like Ebb said, one of the best fights of 2012. And he was unbeaten before that, this is an interesting fight.

Yeah, I've seen that fight, it was definitely a very good one but it was the only good one I recall seeing from him, and it was mostly down to Marquardt's great performance (especially that finishing flurry). Putting Woodley against someone like Hieron, who I don't think will be able to stop the takedown, means I can't see past the grinding Woodley UD by putting Hieron on his back for 3 rounds. Woodley's bound to be more cautious after being stopped in such violent fashion too.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, weigh-in results:

Main Card

Jose Aldo (145) vs. Frankie Edgar (144)

Rashad Evans (206) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (206)

Alistair Overeem (264) vs. Antonio Silva (262)

Jon Fitch (171) vs. Demian Maia (170)

Joseph Benavidez (126) vs. Ian McCall (125)

FX Preliminary Card

Evan Dunham (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)

Jay Hieron (168) vs. Tyron Woodley (170)

Bobby Green (155) vs. Jacob Volkmann (156)

Yves Edwards (155) vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg (156)

Facebook Preliminary Card

Chico Camus (134) vs. Dustin Kimura (139.5)

Edwin Figueroa (137.5) vs. Francisco Rivera (137)

Damn, those Facebook fights. We know how UFC brass are about missing weight, the losers of Figueroa vs. Rivera and Dustin Kimura if he loses can say goodbye to their jobs.

Also, Aldo wasn't too drawn out, neither was Edgar. Very promising sign.

Reem weighed in with jeans on and looked as massive as ever.

And, Joe Rogan's shirt! (which I can't find a pic of, damn it)

Tbh, I thought Overeem looked a lot smaller physically than previously. Never realised he was the same height as Bigfoot.

Edgar looked very lean at 145, noticeably skinnier and a thinner face.

Really excited for this card, I think I'm one of a rare few who's looking forward to Reem/Bigfoot & Fitch/Maia more than the main event (not to say I'm not amped for Aldo/Edgar though). I totally forgot about Dunham/Tibau being on this card, it'll be interesting if Tibau can keep up his good run and Dunham needs to do something to re-establish himself because his stock has dropped off remarkably since he was highly touted as a real contender a couple of years back. Hoping Uncle Creepy picks up the win because I'd love to see him against Mighty Mouse again as I still feel he clearly won the first fight, plus there's something immensely unlikable about Benavidez IMO. Edwards is always must watch as well, don't know much about his opponent though. Can't say I'm too bothered about Rashad/Lil Nog, neither have ever been 'can't miss' for me. Should be a really fun card though.

• Paid Members
Tbh, I thought Overeem looked a lot smaller physically than previously. Never realised he was the same height as Bigfoot.

I wouldn't say a lot smaller but I did think he looked a little bit less jacked than in the past. Still fucking massive though.

Go compare;

Dec 2011

03-Brock-Lesnar-Alistair-Overeem-UFC-141-weigh.jpg

Feb 2013

027_Alistair_Overeem_and_Antonio_Silva_gallery_post.jpg

DwuA0Yg.jpg

Not a huge difference but a little less Hulk-like, in my opinion.

Edgar looked very lean at 145, noticeably skinnier and a thinner face.

Another side by side comparison;

edgar-compare-2.jpg

I didn't see much difference. He looked thinner in the face but that's about it. Remember he was cutting basically fuck all at 155, so it's to be expected he might look a bit different now he's cutting something.

I don't see the weight cut being a factor though. He was on about it in the Helwani interview and it sounds like he's done the right things and had absolutely no problems. He was 148 the day of the press conference.

There's even been talk in the Countdown and Helwani interview that his walk around weight is similar to most bantamweights and he could drop to 135 without much issue if he wanted to.

Aldo-Edgar_2_large.jpg

Can't wait for this.

Rashad-Nog_large.jpg

Gotta love the Rashad/Nog staredown. I'm really torn on that fight. I love the pair of them. I just hope it's a good one.

Hoping Uncle Creepy picks up the win because I'd love to see him against Mighty Mouse again as I still feel he clearly won the first fight, plus there's something immensely unlikable about Benavidez IMO.

Benavidez seems alright to me. There's only one thing I could see which would make him unlikeable...

130111-fom-awards-6240-949x557-gallery.jpg

Jealousy. It's a bitch.

Some videos worth watching...

Dana pre-fight media scrum

Dana/Helwani interview (rips into Randy some more)

Overeem/Helwani interview

Rashad interview

Again, I don't get the hate for Rashad. Really interesting interview and he's all class on Rampage. I imagine if they asked Rampage about Rashad they'd get a different response. Rashad's a good bloke.

Tonight should be a hell of a card.

• Paid Members

Personally I think there is a massive difference in the definition of Overeem's physique. The size is still there, but you can easily tell he is nowhere near as ripped as he was. The size will remain the same as he's obviously used HGH in the past.

I think Frankie Edgar looked great and I now fancy him for the win tonight. Edgar even came in 1 pound under the allocated limit and probably intentionally done to say to his opponent it was an easy weight cut. On top of this it was Aldo gasping for liquid as soon as he came off the scales whilst Frankie wasn't arsed. They both looked similar in size too as I actually thought beforehand Aldo would tower over Edgar.

Rashad looked in fantastic condition and is one of my favourite fighters. I'm hoping for a vicious KO on Little Nog and then proceeding to call out Anderson post fight. Not to repeat myself, but Evans has been a class act since TUF 10 and the hate he gets is a disgrace. He's well spoken and a fantastic fighter.

• Paid Members
I find Rashad smarmy and that's why I don't like. My head says Rashad will beat Little Nog, but my heart is going for Little Nog, so I've picked him and I hope he will be my wildcard win

I can see why people wouldn't be a fan of his antics during fights. Personally I get a kick out of it. I'd probably hate it with some fighters but I loved Rashad's little strut during the Jones fight for example.

Outside the cage though, I think he comes across as one of the soundest fighters in MMA. My sister hates him, I want his babies. Different strokes I guess.

wasn't Benavidez knocking off a ring girl at one point as well? (Brittney i think)...size doesn't matter.

Maybe he's one of them hung midgets you hear about. God's practical joke.

I am so pumped for this, Aldo v Edgar is a dream match and the kind of fight we don't get very often, I can't wait, I think this is a huge test for Aldo, has he ever beaten anyone with the heart of Edgar before? I hope Edgar wins as if he loses he is in limbo and yet a loss could see Aldo to the Lightweight division where many more classic fights await, I haven't been this excited for a fight since Diaz/Henderson and that feels like a long time ago!!

Cracking undercard as well...

• Paid Members

Little Nog wants a Shogun rematch after this fight with Rashad. He's asked for this a few times now and was angling for them to get the TUF Brazil coaching gig at one point.

I'd love to see Shogun vs Little Nog 2. They've both slowed down since 2005 but I don't see any way they wouldn't put on a great fight still. Regardless of tonight's result, I'd like to see it on the Big Nog/Werdum Brazil card in June or whenever it is. They might not want 2 Brazilian vs Brazilian fights on top of a Brazil card though.

I'm still picking Aldo tonight. Frankie looked great at the weigh in, full of energy, a pound under the limit etc. So I've got high hopes for him but I just think Aldo has him beat everywhere bar wrestling and his takedown defence is top notch.

Then again, I could see it looking like a mini version of Cain vs JDS 2. Sticking with Aldo on a TKO though. Either way I think we'll get a great fight.

Personally I think there is a massive difference in the definition of Overeem's physique. The size is still there, but you can easily tell he is nowhere near as ripped as he was. The size will remain the same as he's obviously used HGH in the past.

I think Frankie Edgar looked great and I now fancy him for the win tonight. Edgar even came in 1 pound under the allocated limit and probably intentionally done to say to his opponent it was an easy weight cut. On top of this it was Aldo gasping for liquid as soon as he came off the scales whilst Frankie wasn't arsed. They both looked similar in size too as I actually thought beforehand Aldo would tower over Edgar.

Rashad looked in fantastic condition and is one of my favourite fighters. I'm hoping for a vicious KO on Little Nog and then proceeding to call out Anderson post fight. Not to repeat myself, but Evans has been a class act since TUF 10 and the hate he gets is a disgrace. He's well spoken and a fantastic fighter.

I suppose I wasn't looking closely enough at his definition, was just basing it on overall size. I guess it's not like he'll deflate like a balloon when he's clean.

Yeah, I had a hunch Edgar would have no problem making 145. He'd understand cutting from his wrestling days. I bet he never cut then either but would be around it enough to know how it's done. He's still probably the smallest LW to drop to FW, certainly smaller than Guida and Siver. I wonder how the cut will zap his power though, he was never the hardest hitter anyway.

Rashad always seems like a classy gentleman. It was TUF 2 where he showboated and got that bad rep with Hughes, right? That was almost a decade ago, Rashad's occasional strutting or whatever is nothing compared to how bad some fighters do it- look at Anderson (though he's earned the right to be cocky). I've liked Rashad for a while, although for my first fight to see from him to be Thiago Silva left a bad first impression.

My predictions went shite as well, aside from the Bigfoot and Nog upsets, I didn't get any of the first 4 prelims right.

Overall thoughts on UFC 156:

Pretty good show, I thought. It fell a little short of expectations for me, but we tend to build these Superbowl cards up in our heads to be the greatest thing ever, so it had a lot to live up to.

The prelims were great fun. Figueroa/Rivera had nasty striking, Camus/Kimura had great ground work- so pretty much everything you want in MMA in the Facebook fights.

From there, the FX card featured a few surprises, and kind of set a theme of upsets. I expected Yves to run through Vallie-Flagg with ease, remembering the Stephens fight, but he seemed a little too relaxed. Rogan started saying he was tiring a lot, then seconds later he rapidly evaded (ran) to the centre of the Octagon. He seemed very surprised about the decision, I think he just mentally took the night off (another theme) and expected to cruise to a UD.

Bobby Green was very impressive in surviving Volkmann's grind and turning things around. Kim Winslow needs to be fired, standing someone up when they're throwing elbows from half guard is nuts. Brutal finish with the GnP and choke.

Mr. Woodley, sir, I am very sorry for disparaging you earlier, I was wrong. Holy shit! I think this MMATorch report does it justice:

ROUND ONE: Woodley explodes with a sprinting right hand that floors Hieron. 10 seconds of ground and pound, and it's over. BEAST MODE!

WINNER: Tyron Woodley by murder at 0:36 of round 1.

Dunham vs. Tibau was a decent scrap, though the judge that scored it 29-28 Tibau needs to join Winslow on the unemployment line.

I enjoyed Benavidez vs. McCall. Another flyweight fight that goes to decision, but it was action packed, and the perfect representation of the flyweight division to the PPV audience. Damn, Benavidez made Uncle Creepy look slow!

Fitch vs. Maia was another fun fight for me, if only to see Fitch get Fitched. I was convinced Maia would break Fitch's streak of never being submitted (or his arm, I'm not fussy), but sweet revenge for the torture Fitch put me through at UFC 127, I'll never forgive him for that.

Overeem is a total dick for not taking Bigfoot seriously. If he wasn't so cocky, he probably could have shut it down in the first, but he's another one who mentally cruised. Credit Bigfoot for the comeback, but I still don't consider him elite.

Rashad vs. Nog... the less said, the better. Both guys were moving in quicksand, we lose Anderson vs. Rashad, and Nog doesn't gain as much as he should, beating Rashad in such a lackluster fashion.

Aldo vs. Edgar... I liked it, but it wasn't the all time classic I expected. Maybe I was bitter over the previous two fights, I'll have to re-watch it. Aldo slowed down A LOT, and I thought Edgar might have won it back, but no dice. I'll have to watch it back later. Cue Edgar whining for months about being robbed though, you could feel the butthurt in his post fight interview. In fights that close though, the whining doesn't carry much merit.

Overall grade: 7.5/10. Loved the prelims, the main card was pretty good, we had a great shocker moment with Bigfoot, but the last 2 fights brought it down- Aldo for conditioning and Rashad/Nog for sucking the life out of the show.

I had a bad night on predictions as well.

Benavidez/McCall was a decent opener, I scored it for Benavidez 29-28. Dominant victory by Maia over Fitch taking him down and trying for submissions. The fight won't be to everybody's tastes but I enjoyed the submission attempts vs. submission defense battle.

Overeem won the first two rounds against Antonio Silva but Silva came back and knocked out Overeem in less than a minute of the third round. The KO reminded me of Baroni/Menne and Liddell/Ortiz 1.

The co-main event, Little Nog vs. Evans was very dull. I scored it for Little Nog 29-28. Main event between Aldo/Edgar was really good. On a first watch I thought Edgar nicked it with Aldo winning the first two rounds and Edgar the last three. As soon as the scores were read particularly the two 49-46 scores, I knew Edgar lost. I don't know about the two 49-46 scores.

Archived