The TNA Self Destruction Thread

NEWM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

His entrance music was a treat too. "Suiciiide! Cross the liiiine! Da duh da duh duh!".

The first thing that pops in my head is that mess where they built up the return of the MEM, for about a month, to take on Immortal/Fortune - and I think we were all up for it. Sadly, Dixie Carter decided to be a moron and grant Kevin Nash his release, the week before MEM were advertised to debut. All that led to a convoluted and hasty face turn for Fortune, not only did it make no sense, but nobody was arsed.

Wow, I totally forgot about what a Titanic-sized catastrophe that was! I mean, it brought Big Daddy Cool home, so we can't complain too much but, yeah, what a horror show. Was that just before the very Rumble he (and Booker T, for that matter!), returned? Christ, they might as well have signed the lot of them just for the hell of it. They could have destroyed The Corre at Mania instead of that other set of faces.

• Paid Members

What I liked about Suicide (apart from his great music and zipline) was they were thinking the idea was a masterstroke and the TNA game wouldnt die on its arse they brought out a figure of him. Unfortunately the gimmick was long dead when the figure launch conference was organised, so he had to turn up in full gimmick holding his figure looking like a complete dick. Even thought he had a mask on he still had that look on his face which read "alright lads, sorry to bother you". Sting's face clearly says "fuck this, why do I have to stand next to him".

JakksTNA1.jpg

Look at him. Im surprised the white bit on his face didnt turn red.

Another thing which was great, they wanted a Rey Mysterio type character they could market to kids, but when they released a toy of him they weren't allowed to print his offensive name on the box. He was known as "...".

suicide.jpg

• Paid Members

It's apt the TNA game gets a mention in this thread. Not only was it unfinished and truly awful, but I think I'm one of a dozen folk that bothered to buy the thing. Midway filed for bankruptcy not long after the game was released. A complete misfire, all round.

Wow, I totally forgot about what a Titanic-sized catastrophe that was! I mean, it brought Big Daddy Cool home, so we can't complain too much but, yeah, what a horror show. Was that just before the very Rumble he (and Booker T, for that matter!), returned? Christ, they might as well have signed the lot of them just for the hell of it. They could have destroyed The Corre at Mania instead of that other set of faces.

The very same. Poor Scott Steiner hasn't had a stiffy since.

• Paid Members

Ha! That Suicide story is superb and reinforces my thoughts that there was something there...but the really shit name was the worst part of it! How can they want a character marketed towards kids and decide to dub him Suicide!? Madness.

I enjoy a character surrounded in mystery though and I also enjoy masked or fully covered superhero style guys. There's loads of fun ways you can go with it. There's also his music and the zip line of course.

• Paid Members

I agree. They got the presentation right but they had the wrong name, the wrong bloke behind the mask and they could have tarted the outfit up a bit. If they'd have called him something better, didn't have that scary voice box when he cut his promos and had a better looking suit he could have been a success. You could have had a modern day crow Sting type of character. Where he came in on the wire with the lights out.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's exactly my thoughts of it. I brought him up because NEWM talking about liking the KOTM match reminded me of the only thing I liked about it. When Suicide was in one and he turned up with the lights going out and when they came back on he was atop the little cage. There was just something that looked really badass and Undertaker/Crow Sting like about it. There was definitely something there that could have been a successful character/concept for them though, yeah. But definitely wrong name, rubbish suit.

• Paid Members
Even thought he had a mask on he still had that look on his face which read "alright lads, sorry to bother you".

This is fucking genius. Reading that, then looking at the photo totally cracked me up.

I echo everyone's thoughts on the character. The whole thing was a ridiculously funny misfire when you think about it.

Still think Suicide should have had a tagline that would have promoted fans to kill themselves, I don't know something like:

"Commit Yourself

Commit Passion

Commit Suicide"

Or something funnier.

Still think it was odd that every time he came into the ring he basically blew -in gesture- his brains out!? Maybe he should have done the whole gamut and pretend to hang himself, slit his wrists, overdose and put his head inside a gas oven.

The Hardys' signature pose was always that as well.

Always found that a BIT odd because Hardys target audience were teenagers who were probably moody enough to self-harm or find glamor in offing themselves and also the weird idea that Hardy needed two guns to blow his brains out with?

Lance Hoyt was another major let down. I remember when he debuted as Kash's tag team partner back in the Asylum days under the name of Dallas. Instanty from seeing the bloke of his size do a moonsault and coast to coast I was amazed. The TNA fans loved him and it seemed like they making a major star. Then they bring all the ex WCW and WWE guys in then he got forgot about. Shame really.

• Paid Members
The TNA fans loved him and it seemed like they making a major star.

Completely concur. His match with Abyss was one of my favourites at the time, proper old school mentality of "Hoyt doesn't necessarily need to win THIS one, let's just see if he shows us something, convinces that he could beat someone of (at the time) Abyss' standing, and if the crowd get behind him." Which they did, big style. For sheer "overness" alone, he should have been given more. He's bland as fuck in New Japan, mind.

Now he looks like Lance Hoyt from the Rock n Rave tag team.

Rock n Rave Infection WITH CHRISTY HEMME were a missed chance too. They had comedy, they had a prop they could sell to kids, they had the best piece of crumpet in wrestling with them. Missed the boat. Reminds me of when Power Slam printed "Stacy Keibler has "bankable commodity" written all over her. WcW, typically, has yet to notice."

Monty Brown also seemed on the verge of joining Styles, AMW and (at a push) Abyss as a "homegrown star" in TNA, but that heel turn killed him dead.

Archived