The TNA Self Destruction Thread

NEWM

• Paid Members

I prefer the ring to have red, white and blue ropes, but it doesn't make a jot of difference to the product.

The only difference the six-sided ring made whatsoever was with shorter distances between turnbuckles the ropes were said to be tenser enabling the high flyers to get more height on their springboard moves. Did it make the matches any better? No. Did the PPV numbers drop off dramatically when they switched to four sides? No. Yes, it was a cool visual that someone saw on a Toryumon tape and thought "we'll do that." But it made fuck all difference in the big scheme of things. No-one is suggesting WWE would get bigger numbers if they switched to an octagonal ring, are they? A ring's a ring.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Personally, I'd rather they kept those cool 'space vault' entrance ways than the six sided ring but hey ho.

The entrance tunnels? I hated them. They just made it look so small time. The ramp and massive video screen looks far more impressive and big time.

The return of ECW (EV2). Not only was it a bit embarrassing to see so much time given to a bunch of guys past their prime with little to contribute to the current product but for them then to defeat Fortune at Bound for Glory was god awful. Oh, but then Fortune all got their wins back in a bunch of forgettable matches which led to the majority of EV2 being sacked upon their losses. Therefore making Fortune look naff at TNA's biggest event a month before half of the guys were on their way out looking like losers anyway. Gaaaah.

To be fair to TNA though, I have enjoyed the majority of shit thrown at the wall outside of anything heavily involving Mr Anderson as a lot of the time a positive has come out of the experiment.

E.G

AJ becoming Flair-lite gave us Insane Flair.

Storm winning the title a week after Roode had the rug pulled gave us the IT Factor.

Keeping Abyss on the roster gave us Joseph Parks.

What appeared to be an awful Team 3D split gave us Bully Freakin' Ray.

Hiring a bunch of former X guys for a couple of nights gave us the rise of Austin Aries.

Immortal and their disbanding gave us Hogan and Sting looking like they are having the time of their lives on our screens.

The Bound for Glory series has created a way to give a TNA title shot some prestige.

TNA should never have introduced the BFG series.

Matches like Joe vs RVD were given away on free TV in short matches.

They also dropped the ball with Sting beating up RVD on his first night. That was beyond stupid.

The Jeff Hardy fiasco and releasing Jay Lethal after his feud with Flair.

• Paid Members
TNA should never have introduced the BFG series.

Matches like Joe vs RVD were given away on free TV in short matches.

Companies with TV have been giving away their best matches for free for years, nothing new there.

They also dropped the ball with Sting beating up RVD on his first night. That was beyond stupid.

Agreed.

• Paid Members

Strange to think now that there was a time when people used to be like "if TNA get RVD they'd be well in with a chance of growing". Then the first night in they had Sting beat the fuck out of him and as RVD lay there Hogan came out and had a pull apart with Sting. RVDs debut was to set up a feud match between Hogan and Sting that didnt happen for another 18 months. And this was still an RVD which people loved to see. He was fresh from an absence where people missed him terribly. That example probably wins the thread.

Having three Joe vs Angle matches in the first two month of Angles debut was shite as well. The matches were great, but people were desperate to see that. If you had built that up over the space of a year and had Joe go over Angle at Bound for Glory for the title if could have (actually probably would have) done 100,000 buys instead of 60,000. That feud done right could have put TNA on the map.

After losing to Angle, I always thought Joe would go on ANOTHER winning streak all the way through to getting his rematch with Angle (and probably the top belt) at the following Lockdown/BFG. You're bang on about the anticipation for those matches, they blew through some really big shit there, and Joe was pretty much dead afterwards. That they managed to reboot him just enough for the 08 title feud is credit to TNA.

A recent one I was disappointed with was the promise of the TV title actually existing again. 'Brotha, the TV title will be on the line EVERY SINGLE WEEK from now on Dude', Hogan spat out some shit like that.. and it's not much but I was looking forward to it.

But what happened..

D-Von floated about with it doing nothing with Robbie E, left, title got vacated, Joe got a surprising reign which was great to see Joe rewarded, defended against Magnus and then lost is straight away to D-Von. Event the mongs in the impact zone didn't give a flying fuck.

• Paid Members
Having three Joe vs Angle matches in the first two month of Angles debut was shite as well. The matches were great, but people were desperate to see that. If you had built that up over the space of a year and had Joe go over Angle at Bound for Glory for the title if could have (actually probably would have) done 100,000 buys instead of 60,000. That feud done right could have put TNA on the map.

This is the main thing for me. Given more time, done with with some finesse and subtlety, I would have been tuning in every week desperate to see it build and go down. Then keep watching, waiting for that re-match. It could have pulled me in and got me on board big time. It ended up being blown away in a heart beat and then, further down the line, over done to the point I felt a bit disappointed when they were at it again.

As it was I picked up the DVD's second hand from play for about

• Paid Members

The BFG series is one of the best things TNA have ever done. For a long time I've always felt that WWE just managed to always come up with the best concepts for wrestling, or at least execute and present them in the best way if they didn't come up with themselves - Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, King of the Ring, Hell in a Cell, Money in the Bank, Tag Team Turmoil, Original Tough Enough, Elimination Chamber, the road to WrestleMania calendar. And that in its early years of existence TNA desperately tried to come up with unique concepts to catch on but were totally rubbish - King of the Mountain, reverse battle royals, plenty of others I'm sure. Or just ripped off other ideas - the six sided ring, the dome cage thing, Feast or Fired and were generally pretty rubbish in execution.

But lately, it's something they're getting reasonably good at it. The BFG series, spanning months leading into their big show is a top concept. Open Fight Night, Championship Thursday, Gut Check are all decent concepts and appears as though WWE may be starting to rob some of their ideas.

I think I really quite liked King of the Mountain, you know. As completely fucking batty and convoluted as the stipulations were, the matches were always great and usually pretty worthy of the hyperbole before and after. I liked Slammiversary having a big match that was all its own too, once they'd got into the monthly PPV era. I remember ones where the likes of Chris Harris, Robert Roode and Kaz were notably the 5th men compared to the usual suspects, but it was a nice opportunity to have a good reason to suddenly include them in the title hunt, even if it only lasted a night.

The BFG series is fucking great, by the way, especially as you could see last year when they learned from a few mistakes the first time.

• Paid Members

As others have said, the BFG series was great this year because it gave ordinarily throwaway matches a purpose. If you have "big" matches (which nothing involving Van Dam is) you can put them on ppv, or a build a big Impact which probably makes them more money anyway.

Archived