The TNA Self Destruction Thread

NEWM

Talking about Abyss he has had some very memorable moments throughout his run, personal favorites are his matches with AJ Styles they were brilliant and I thought the two gelled together really well. Abyss is another shame as his character had such a dark side and with Father James Mitchell it really worked. It's a shame 2010-2012 was such a horrendous time (Apart from his great match with RVD at BFG) where his character was unbearable to watch. The guy really has something as his run as Joseph Parks was the one of the most likable faces in a while from any major company and one of my favorite parts of 2012.

Monty Brown is another one. The Pounce was a great move. Plus he had a decent look about him. I prefer wrestlers to look like "brick shit houses" and he was one of them.

Its tragic seeing the amount of errors TNA have made in the past. It's just a case of them not knowing what product they want to put out there, there identity and who there target market is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monty Brown should have been a major star for them. It's probably fair to say that his heart was never in it, as he's never come back to wrestling again since leaving WWE.

I also think they rather fucked up Hernandez. He had a load of natural charisma and was hugely athletic and big, and they tried to squeeze him into the generic Mexican gimmick even though he's not Mexican and doesn't even speak Spanish. It really crippled him IMO.

• Paid Members

I think the LAX pairing with Homicide was good because it gave him chance to learn and grow as a performer without the pressure of singles, but where they dropped the ball was when that tag team reached the end of its natural life, throwing him into another tag team virtually straight away with Matt Morgan. The lack of patience of TNA at the time, their subsequent split and disappointing feud, then him disappearing to AAA for a bit derailed any momentum he had, and he's been rudderless since until Chavo, where upon he's gone from "rudderless" to "mediocre."

• Paid Members

The time to "pull the trigger" with Monty Brown was that crazy episode of impact where he got the title rematch with Jarrett in the main event. The crowd where going nuts and I believe he'd kicked out of finisher/belt shot and guitar shot. Soon after, he randomly turned heel because Christian turned up.

I quite liked that pairing, I think if there had been a little more focus on tag teams around the period they were around they wouldn't have looked out of place being featured on Raw. Hoyt ... (well Vance Archer I mean) had that dangerous look about him and Hawkins was the athletic more naturally charismatic part of the team. Hawkins has atrocious luck with his tag team partners doesn't he?

On the topic of TNA destuction in regards to the home grown stars, it has to be said that despite appearing on WWE TV first, The Pope was treated as the next breakout star in early 2010. He was having good matches, he had the crowd in the palm of his hand when he was on the mic and he looked like a star. I really felt he could have been Champion but I think he was injured around the time of his first one on one title shot with AJ at Lockdown 2010. Shame. Below is a post I just saw on Twitter too, it appears that he has gone for good after the last couple of years of floundering.

Da Black Pope ‏@DaBlackPope

Pope's Contract expired with TNA on Jan 1, I will not be resigning. Thanks to Dixie and the whole TNA Family for a wonderful 3+ Years.~PHS

Archived