2. Daniel Bryan

3. Alberto Del Rio

- Best tag-team

1. Team Hell No

2. Sin Cara / Rey Misterio

3. Truth / Kofi

- Best performance

1. Daniel Bryan (the whole year)

2. Undertaker / Triple H / Shawn Michaels (WM 28)

3. Michael Elgin (Showdown in The Sun - Day 2)

- Best feud

1. Punk vs Jericho

2. Cena vs The Rock

3. Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan.

- Match of the year

1. Triple H vs Undertaker (WM 28)

2. John Cena vs Brock Lesnar (Extreme Rules)

3. Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin (Showdown in The Sun - Day 2)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Sod it, I'm doing reasons.

Wrestler of the year

- John Cena: Everything he's been involved with has been fantastic. In 12 months, he's had crackers with two guys who between them had wrestled one match in the last eight years. He's also had another absolutely stunning effort with CM Punk, managing to make a B-PPV main event feel like a big deal before it happened, the BIGGEST deal while it was happening and an all-time classic afterwards. He's been the constant in every great main event WWE have done this year.

- Sheamus: He's still the most hit-and-miss guy in the company on the mic, but in the ring he's been flawless this year. Which is not what I expected from him at all when he got to WWE, frankly. He's stepped up massively and is now one of the most reliable guys in the company on TV or PPV - and he judges the difference between those perfectly, too.

- Austin Aries: The best thing going in TNA by miles. Fully deserved his face turn and title run, and whether he's been face or heel, he's had the Impact Zone in the palm of his hand in every single big match.

Worst wrestler

- Tensai: What a massive disappointment. Needs to go back to Japan where he suits the style better and has a genuine chance of being top dog. Hasn't gelled with anyone, hasn't shown anything special, hasn't looked arsed about any of it.

- Jinder Mahal: Mister fast-forward. One can only hope he'll pick up a bit now he's got a character that would logically have him doing more than stomping, looking angry and the Camel Clutch.

- Mr. Anderson: Is to "cocky" what Jinder Mahal was to "Indian" (A boring wrestler who is also that thing, inconsequentially).

Best face

- John Cena: Let's forget about the Eve stuff and the AJ stuff. Cena was the perfect babyface in everything he did that mattered this year. Brilliant as the true top guy haunting Punk's title reign, brilliant as the defender of the company against Lesnar, and so brilliant as the honest fighting man in contrast to the phony, self-important Hollywood Rock that if I were a rich man I'd have bought a ticket and turned up at the Sun Life Stadium in jean shorts and a baseball cap. Cena is the fucking man, and anyone still caught up in how he wasn't all that good when they first pushed him to the main event could've got to fuck six years ago, never mind now. He sells shitloads of merch. He does the media stuff perfectly. He cuts the best promos in the company when he's on form. He makes people emotionally invest in his feuds, and as such, his opponents. He has great matches with everyone. He's THE man. That means dealing with shit getting thrown at him from time to time, but unlike everyone else in the company except Daniel Bryan, he always manages to rise above it when it matters.

- Jeff Hardy: The redemption story was there for the taking, and TNA and Hardy have conspired to take it supremely. Great in-ring performances and the strongest connection with TNA audiences out of anyone, including the old masters Sting and Hogan. Knocking on WWE's door, and just like last time this happened, rightly so. TNA deserve massive, massive props for sticking with him.

- Frightmare: The ultimate underdog. Tiny, brilliant seller, does stuff nobody else can do. Wouldn't work in so many places in the wrestling world, but works so well in Chikara. A prime example of how good that company is at giving guys gimmicks they can work. Everyone has their little ball to run with, and to a man, they all at the very least do it fairly well. Frightmare does it wicked-good.

Best heel

- Daniel Bryan: It's almost been forgotten with Rock, Lesnar, Team Hell No, the year of Punk, the rise of Ryback and whatever else, but January 2012 will forever be Daniel Bryan month. A magnificently-executed turn, and a red-hot streak of being the most hated man in WWE. Everything since then has been gold. Worthy of particular mention is his flawless ability to strike the perfect balance between clown and public enemy. Taking the best guy on the indies, who's gone around the world, wrestled everyone he can, learnt everything he could, and putting him through WWE developmental before pushing him to a position where he can get the best out of everyone around him turned out to be a fucking brilliant idea. Who'd have thought?

- Mike Bennett: Speaking of the best stuff on the indies. Bennett screams big-time no matter what surroundings you put him in. Maria helps with that significantly, but the man himself is a good-looking, well-built, utterly punchable bellend. The perfect indy heel? Quite possibly.

- Christopher Daniels: A stunning transformation from guy-who-does-some-poses-but-doesn't-reeally-have-a-gimmick into the appletini-sipping sleazeball. His textbook cowardly heel stuff is the perfect example of why keeping it simple is the best idea. Great year. Long may it continue, as long as he STOPS WRESTLING AJ STYLES FOR EVER.

Best tag-team

- Team Hell No: What's left to say? Classic odd-couple pairing that everyone's been raving about all year, with both men playing their part to perfection. Perhaps the greatest strength of this story, though, is how obvious it is that Kane's having the time of his life doing goofy bollocks.

- The Young Bucks: Smarmy dickheads extraordinaire. They're really hitting on the reasons people find them so objectionable, and everything about them is all the better for it. You just want to see the little twats get KILLED.

- The World Tag Team Champions of the World: The best thing either guy has done, ever. The first time I've found either guy entertaining since first becoming aware of them. Did their best with the worst wrestling storyline in years. Top marks.

Best performance

- John Cena at Extreme Rules: Not a carry job by any stretch of the imagination, but Cena's heart-and-fire character was at its absolute best here, digging down deep to defend his turf against this beast. Promo afterwards was perfect, too, beautifully winning over the Chicago crowd that had been baying for his blood less than a year before.

- Frightmare selling his knee at Chikara King of Trios: The ultimate underdog gives the ultimate underdog performance. The x factor in a near-perfect weekend-long story. See my last MOTY nomination for more.

- Santino Marella in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match, WWE Elimination Chamber: This is why the man has a job. No matter how bad the shit they write for him gets sometimes, when called upon to take things up a notch, he's brilliant. Here, like in the qualifying battle royale and at the end of the 2011 Rumble, Santino pitched things perfectly and ended up getting the best reaction of the night. The best showing of his career.

Best feud

- John Cena vs Brock Lesnar: Had everything that Rock/Cena was missing. A fresh segment every week in the buildup, and that little bit of grit that made it so exciting. Blossomed perfectly into a great match.

- CM Punk vs John Cena, pre-Summerslam to Survivor Series: Particularly the month preceding Night of Champions. In terms of giving significance and status to a title match, it reminded me a lot of Cena/Batista in the buildup to WM26. Excellent mic work from both men, and just so much IMPORTANCE. And the match at NoC was stunning. Possibly even better than Money in the Bank 2011.

- The Spectral Envoy vs Delirious and his various minions, Chikara: A great example of Chikara's skill at playing the long game and having multiple high points in a feud. The return of Crossbones at King of Trios was incredibly well-done, as were the Batiri's attempts to cost the Envoy their place in the tournament whenever they could. The blowoff at Under the Hood was tons of fun despite the obvious ring rust of Crossbones and Blind Rage, epitomising how Chikara has inherited ECW's crown of hiding weaknesses and emphasising strengths.

Match of the year

- John Cena vs Brock Lesnar, WWE Extreme Rules: The word that sums this one up for me is "spectacle". Unbelievably brutal for a modern WWE match, but the key for me was how beautifully paced it was. They knew exactly when to go on a hot streak and when to let it burn slow, and it was a masterful performance from both men, narrowly beating out Rock vs Cena on my nominations and sharing many of the same strengths.

- CM Punk vs John Cena (WWE Championship), WWE Night of Champions: Like I said before, this might even top their MITB 2011 encounter in my personal stakes. An absolute epic and one of the best WWE Championship matches there has ever been, and did more for the status and importance of that title than anything else has for a long time.

- The Spectral Envoy vs Team ROH (King of Trios final), Chikara King of Trios night 3: It's no coincidence that all 3 of my MOTY candidates come from my feud of the year candidates. Storytelling IS wrestling, and nobody does it better than Chikara. This was the pinnacle of an entire weekend of incredibly well-built tension and emotion. The Envoy as the underdogs, being assailed at every opportunity by Delirious and his crew and with their smallest man hurt, battling for the forces of good against the arrogant dickhead outsiders who nicked the company's tag titles, then brought along a WWE diva to its biggest show of the year just to show off. Superb character work from everyone involved. Bennett and the Young Bucks just made themselves so fucking hateable, acting all big-time with their titles and Playboy centrefold valet, and they were the perfect foil for the Envoy's underdog act. The match mirrored the tournament by building everything perfectly to a climax, and Hallowicked tapping Bennett with the Chikara Special had me jumping up and down in pure fucking joy. All I could talk about for the next week was how much I fucking love wrestling. Beautiful.

- Wrestler of the year

Daniel Bryan

John Cena

Austin Aries

- Worst wrestler

JTG

Can I use all 3 nominations for JTG?

I really fucking hate JTG.

- Best face

Ryback

Santino Marella

John Cena

- Best heel

Daniel Bryan

John Laurianitis

Christopher Daniels

- Best tag-team

Rey Mysterio/Sin Cara

Prime Time Players

World Tag Team Champions Of The World

- Best performance

Santino in the Chamber. He had me shrieking like a child at the prospect that he might actually win the belt.

John Cena at Extreme Rules - This was unsettlingly brutal. The most horrificly graphic match in WWE this year by about a thousand miles. Cena took an unrelenting beating from Lesnar and kept going, to the point that CHICAGO, the same arena which had reviled him like nothing else at it's last PPV.

- Best feud

dangerously420 vs. The World

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar

Bobby Roode vs. James Storm (It wasn't a great year for fueds)

- Match of the year

Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell In A Cell - Wrestlemania 28

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar - Extreme Rules

- Purely because I couldn't pick between this, Bully/Aries or Rock/Cena, and it deserves a mention.

- Wrestler of the year

Austin Aries

Daniel Bryan

John Cena

- Worst wrestler

Crimson

Tensai

Khali

- Best face

Sheamus

John Cena

Austin Aries

- Best heel

Bobby Roode

Bully Ray

Daniel Bryan

- Best tag-team

Kaz & Daniels

Team Hell No

Young Bucks

- Best performance

Michael Cole, Raw after Jerry's Heart attack

Bryan every night, getting yes/no over.

Joseph Park during his search for Abyss

- Best feud

Rock/Cena

Park/Bully

Lesnar/Cena

- Match of the year

Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena - Extreme Rules

Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode - Destination X

CM Punk vs. Mark Henry RAW 2/4

• Paid Members

Wrestler of the Year

El Generico

Michael Elgin

Eddie Edwards

Worse Wrestler

Mike Bennett

Jay Lethal

Charlie Haas

Best Face

El Generico

Willie Mack

Rhett Titus

Best Heel

Brock Lesnar

Best Tag Team

Super Smash Brothers

Young Bucks

Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander

Best Performance

Eddie Edwards doing everything he could to get Brian Cage/ Tomasso Ciampa over in their respective matches

Best Feud

Jim Cornette vs. ROH fanbase

MOTY

Kevin Steen vs. Davey Richards (Border Wars)

SSB vs. Young Bucks vs. Cole/ O'Reilly (Threemendous III)

Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards (SITS Day 2)

Wrestler of the year

Daniel Bryan

Austin Aries

Bully Ray

Worst wrestler

Tensai

David Otunga

The Great Khali

Best face

Ryback

Jeff Hardy

John Cena

Best heel

Bully Ray

Daniel Bryan

The Big Show

Best tag-team

Christopher Daniels and Kazarian

Team Hell No

Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara

Best performance

Bully Ray in anything but if it has to be specific his performance at Bound For Glory.

The Shield, all the beat downs have been fantastic, but they really stood out in that very first interview along with the second promo they have done.

John Cena at Extreme Rules, never have I felt so much sympathy for a wrestler, his character was at its best here.

Best feud

James Storm vs Bobby Roode

John Cena vs The Rock

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan

Match of the year

The Shield (Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns) vs Team Hell No (Daniel Bryan and Kane) and Ryback - TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar - Extreme Rules

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Best 2/3 Falls - Extreme Rules

James Storm vs Bobby Roode - Bound For Glory

Edited by Cobra1000

-Wrestler of the year-

-Austin Aires

-Daniel Bryan

-John Cena

-Worst wrestler-

-Tensai

-Mr. Anderson

-Brodus Clay

-Best face-

-John Cena

-Austin Aires

-Joseph Park

-Best heel-

-Christopher Daniels

-John Laurinitus

-Bully Ray

-Best tag-team-

-Bad Influence: Daniels & Kazarian

-Team Hell No!

-Prime Time Players

-Best performance-

-Brock Lesnar brutalising John Cena during their match

-Joseph Park at Slammiversary

-John Cena destroying The Rock with his promos

-Best feud-

-AJ Styles Vs. Daniels and Kaz

-Joseph Park Vs. Bully Ray

-Cena Vs. Punk

-Match of the year-

-Brock Lesnar Vs. John Cena - Extreme Rules

-CM Punk Vs. John Cena - Night of Champions

-AJ Styles Vs. Christopher Daniels: Last Man Standing - Destination X

Wrestler of the Year

Daniel Bryan

Sheamus

Michael Elgin

Worst Wrestler

Lord Tensai

Crimson

David Otunga

Best Face

John Cena

Jeff Hardy

El Generico

Best Heel

Bully Ray

Dolph Ziggler

Daniel Bryan

Best Tag Team

AJ Styles and Kurt Angle ( aye, I know, thrown together for a while, but great to watch )

Team Hell No!

Super Smash Brothers

Best Performance

Kane and Daniel Bryan ( first Anger Management stuff )

Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules

Daniel Bryan during the AJ wedding.

Best Fued

John Cena vs. The Rock

John Cena vs. CM Punk

Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus

Match of the Year

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar - WWE Extreme Rules

The Young Bucks vs. Super Smash Brothers vs. Future Shock, Ladder Match - PWG Threemendous III

Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin - ROH Glory By Honor

• Paid Members

- Wrestler of the year

CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, John Cena. Wasn't going to include Cena as he seems to have had a 'quiet' year, until I realise he really hasn't and he's had bonafide MOTY candidate matches against Lesnar, Rock & Punk

- Worst wrestler

Tensai, Brodus Clay

- Best face

John Cena, Ryback, Sheamus

- Best heel

CM Punk, Paul Heyman, Damien Sandow

- Best tag-team

Primetime Players, The Colons, Hell No

- Best performance

Taker at Wrestlemania, Bryan & Kane anger management skits

- Best feud

Brock VS Triple H, Cena VS Punk, Kane & Daniel Bryan

- Match of the year

Taker VS Triple H- Wrestlemania

Jericho VS Punk- Extreme Rules

Brock Lesnar VS Cena- Extreme Rules

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Wrestler of the year

Daniel Bryan

Sheamus

Big Show

Worst wrestler

Tensai

Zack Ryder

Mr Anderson

Best face

Daniel Bryan

Jeff Hardy

Ryback

Best heel

Big Show

CM Punk

Bobby Roode

Best tag-team

Prime Time Players

Team Hell No

Daniels & Kazarian

Best performance

Triple H and The Undertaker at WWE WrestleMania 28

John Cena and Brock Lesnar at WWE Extreme Rules

Joseph Park (vs. Bully Ray) at TNA Slammiversary

Best feud

Triple H vs The Undertaker

John Cena and Brock Lesnar

Joseph Park and Bully Ray

Match of the year

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar at WWE Extreme Rules

Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan at WWE Extreme Rules

Sheamus vs. Big Show at WWE Hell In A Cell

- Wrestler of the Year

John Cena

Bully Ray

Daniel Bryan

- Worst Wrestler

Tensai

Brodus Clay

Alberto Del Rio

- Best Face

John Cena

Jeff Hardy

Sheamus

- Best Heel

Bully Ray

Heath Slater

Dave Rayne

- Best Tag-Team

Daniels/Kazarian

Team Hell No

AJ/Kurt

- Best Performance

Heath Slater vs WWE Legends

John Cena build up to WM match vs Rock

Dave Rayne PCW Rumble :p

- Best Feud

John Cena vs The Rock

Triple H vs Brock Lesnar

Bully Ray vs Joesph Parks

- Match of the Year

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar- WWE Extreme Rules

Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin -ROH Showdown In The Sun Night 2

Kurt Angle/AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian- TNA Slammiversary

Narrowly missing out include

CM Punk vs Mark Henry - WWE Raw April

Samoa Joe vs Austin Aries- Slammiversary

Bully Ray vs Austin Aries- Sacrifice

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan- Extreme Rules

Punk vs Jericho- Extreme Rules

Here iss the Match of the Year Thread, to help jog memories

- Wrestler of the year -Bobby RoodeAustin AriesBully Ray- Worst wrestler-Sin CaraKing MoTensai- Best face-Joseph ParksRybackMiss Tessmacher- Best heel-Bully RayBrock LesnarAustin Aries- Best tag-team - Kazarian/Daniels- Best performance -Austin Aries - all year, elevating his game and defying the disadvantage of his size, plus dragging a half-decent feud out of Jeff Hardy. As good as a face as a heel.- Best feudBully Ray v Joseph Parks - a bizarre and unusual feud involving a heel and a "non-wrestler" which is still bubbling along underneath somewhere and making Abyss (or lack thereof) interesting for the first time in years.Bobby Roode v Austin Aries - just a really great heel/face story with fantastic promos, fantastic matches and an unexpected and fan-pleasing end.Cena v Lesnar - went so much better than could have been expected; the only WWE feud this year that caught my interest.- Match of the yearCena v Lesnar (Royal Rumble was it?)Angle/Styles vs Daniels/Kazarian- TNA SlammiversaryJames Storm v Bobby Roode - BFGStyles v Angle - SacrificeAries v Bully Ray - Sacrifice

Edited by Loki

- Wrestler of the year

CM Punk

Daniel Bryan

Austin Aries

- Worst wrestler

Garrett Bischoff

Great Khali

- Best face

D Bryan

- Best heel

CM Punk

Austin Aries

- Best tag-team

Prime Time Players

Team Hell No

Daniels and Kazarian

- Best performance

Daniel Bryan

CM Punk

Austin Aries

- Best feud

CM Punk .vs. Chris Jericho

CM Punk .vs. Daniel Bryan

CM Punk .vs. John Cena

- Match of the year

CM Punk .vs. Jericho at Extreme Rules

Cena .vs. Lesnar at Extreme Rules

Punk .vs. Bryan at MITB

- Wrestler of the year

1. Sheamus

2. The Big Show

3. Daniel Bryan

Like everyone else I can only rate what I've seen (or at least I hope so) so I might as well preface this by saying I haven't seen Extreme Rules and won't before the end of the year since that is the event which seems to be dominating these awards. Watched more Japan than I have since 2008, little bit of lucha and even some indies for the first time in forever but very little stands out.

That said, if Sheamus isn't most consistent guy on TV this year I have no idea who is. The gap between one and the two below is actually pretty big this year.

I'm sure this isn't the first time I've nominated Big Show for one of these but it is well deserved: he had another good one. Consistently good on the stick, in the ring and at getting his character over as both a heel and a babyface.

Bryan is probably the most consistently entertaining guy out of the ring not named

- Wrestler of the year

John Cena

Sheamus

Daniel Bryan

- Worst wrestler

Tensai

Randy Orton

Alberto Del Rio

There are worse wrestlers than Orton and Del Rio, but none that bore me as much.

- Best face

Kofi Kingston

Sheamus

Santino Marella

- Best heel

CM Punk

Vickie Guerrero

John Laurinaitis

It's been a bad year for in-ring heels. Ziggler does absolutely nothing effective that's heelish. Bryan was too much fun.

- Best tag-team

Primetime Players

Team Hell No

- Best performance

Santino Marella - Elimination Chamber

John Cena - Extreme Rules

John Cena - absolutely annihilating The Rock in the promos leading to WrestleMania

- Best feud

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar

It's been a really shit year for feuds, I can't think of another one that was good that didn't turn dull and go on ten years too long.

Daniel Bryan vs Kane, I suppose?

- Match of the year

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar - Extreme Rules

Undertaker vs Triple H - WrestleMania

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - WrestleMania