What makes a good Wrestling Promotion?

riverdaleallstars

Hello all, new here but long time 'rasslin fan.

In March of 2013 I will be promoting my first wrestling event. We have secured a great venue, all the equipment and started working on talent, British and International.

The idea for this event is to be the first in a hopefully monthly series of events held in Northampton (on the M1 and Midland Mainline and an hour or so from London, Oxford, Cambridge, Peterborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Coventry, Luton) filmed and distributed for free online via our new website launching in January reallyawesome.tv (which also includes music news, interviews and live shows, rap battle events, vblogs et al).

We plan on having Friday and Saturday weekender events for our shows, we just want a few ideas and inputs from the die hard wrestling community?

- Would you prefer one show per event night? Or for us to film 2 TV shows per event night? With four shows a month we can upload one per week and further storylines and focus on our top talent and push through new guys with more emphasis. However with two large shows it works better with some of the international guys in a more PPV style environment.

- Price? What do you think is a reasonable price for a UK wrestling event? What's not too much/too little and what can make you travel here?

- Other events What side shows will entice you to the event? Special pre-show matches? Fanfests with meet & greets, traders, Q&A's, vintage gaming events

- Who do YOU want to see? seriously, there's no point paying out

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Would you prefer one show per event night? Or for us to film 2 TV shows per event night? With four shows a month we can upload one per week and further storylines and focus on our top talent and push through new guys with more emphasis. However with two large shows it works better with some of the international guys in a more PPV style environment.

Depends on how long the shows are scheduled to run. I'd try not and run more than 3 - 3 1/2 hours total or people may lose interest / need to travel home etc.

- Price? What do you think is a reasonable price for a UK wrestling event? What's not too much/too little and what can make you travel here?

You're on a bit of a hiding to nothing posting this in here. We're almost all extremely negative, and 90% of this board is either current or failed BritWres promoters with a chip on their shoulder.

Would you prefer one show per event night? Or for us to film 2 TV shows per event night?

It's ultimately irrelevant, isn't it? Just run the shows as best suits the live crowd and then edit it into however many episodes. You're not WWE with specific TV deal requirements.

Price? What do you think is a reasonable price for a UK wrestling event? What's not too much/too little and what can make you travel here?

I'd be unlikely to either way, but when a WWE ticket can be had for

Would you prefer one show per event night? Or for us to film 2 TV shows per event night?

I don't care.

Price? What do you think is a reasonable price for a UK wrestling event? What's not too much/too little and what can make you travel here?

• Paid Members

Would you prefer one show per event night? Or for us to film 2 TV shows per event night? With four shows a month we can upload one per week and further storylines and focus on our top talent and push through new guys with more emphasis. However with two large shows it works better with some of the international guys in a more PPV style environment.

- Make sure the live event is an enjoyable experience for those in attendance, don't go over three hours. Worry about editing footage together for TV/DVD later.

- General admission under a tenner for adults, cheap tickets for kids.

Other events What side shows will entice you to the event? Special pre-show matches? Fanfests with meet & greets, traders, Q&A's, vintage gaming events

- Meet and Greets and Q&As work if you've got big name imports, otherwise no. Traders and vintage gaming sound good if well organised.

Who do YOU want to see? seriously, there's no point paying out

• Paid Members
Maybe shitty DH Smith with the "son of Bulldog" aspect played up.

Sorry King, Davey Boy Smith Jr (yes, they bill him as such) is full time in China and half of their tag team champions.

Good idea to poll your audience, if more people did we might have more shows from promoters in over thier head from doing it thier way and less Danny Rodds and Adam Bowlers but as its been said the UKFF is mostly negative.

Weekender are great events if done right. I wouldn't do them every time as having 2 nights a month for a British company is probably the best way to kill your market very quickly. Even established brands like Futureshock don't run a one nighter every month. Not saying that monthly shows can't be done, just that you have to consider the market in that area.

Hi,

Good luck to you as I dont think it is easy to do, you certainly have a few ideas that I would consider myself if I were to promote such as online TV show to answer your questions

- Would you prefer one show per event night? Or for us to film 2 TV shows per event night? At the size I assume you will be dont even consider doing it as "TV Tapings" unless you have a TV deal that means you have to. It will confuse the casual audience, probably make the show go on too long and cause a cluster fuck with organisation in my opinion. You can get round this with your online shows in a number of ways. To be honest when TNA did a double TV at wembley I was bored shitless by the end between the hogan and sting bits, and that was a major promotion.

- Price? What do you think is a reasonable price for a UK wrestling event? Price wise you need to absolutely make sure you have not priced yourself out of the local market, fuck all of us online lot for the second and ensure you are going to draw local people and families. A guy like me might come to one or two of your shows at some point in the future if the imports were good or you built up a following, but a local family of 4 may do if the kids or all of them like wrestling and they will spend much more than I would. But unless you are local I wouldnt consider the commuting cost. Also dont price yourself down and look cheap. Ideal price I would say

• Paid Members
The idea for this event is to be the first in a hopefully monthly series of events held in Northampton (on the M1 and Midland Mainline and an hour or so from London, Oxford, Cambridge, Peterborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Coventry, Luton) filmed and distributed for free online via our new website launching in January reallyawesome.tv (which also includes music news, interviews and live shows, rap battle events, vblogs et al).

From that list of towns and cities there how do you expect to encourage fans to travel from them. The amount of wrestling in Nottingham alone is astronomical.

How do you expect to stand out from someone like Southside who promote Nottingham and Cambridge areas and have booked such international talent as Finlay, Davey Richards, Pac, and Doug Williams in the last year and have Michael Elgin and Prince Devitt in the next week. They have also booked loads of CZW guys and they regularly book wrestlers who would make most peoples top 10 British guys, and Marty Scurll.

You are going to have to book some exceptional talent to stand out from what is a very competitive and crowded market, and if you didnt know that already you should have.

If you are just looking to draw in Northampton then I think EAW already do pretty reasonable business in that area, but as for drawing from an already well saturated area, that might take more money than you have.

Archived