Batista MMA thread ***SPOILERZ***

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Because a load of spoiler tags are cluttering up the MMA thread, here's a new one to discuss your thoughts. Big Dave won. He had MVP with him just in case as well. Highlight of the fight was Dave swearing and not getting hammered into the ground by a bloke who I'm sure works in the Pizza shop on the corner of our street. Low point was Dave fighting like I did at school when I knew I was about to get a good hiding and the commentators. The announcers were hilariously shit. "Dave's used to getting shots in the face from his days in WWE". Fucking what? Unless that's a Pat Patterson/Mel Phillips joke, I dont quite get their meaning. Also wasn't a good idea to have a in ring interview who was socially awkward and had no verbiage. A proper clown show.

Batista should come home. There's a load of new divas he hasn't ploughed through yet. And his acting career is in the high B bracket. We don't need this MMA bullshit Dave.

Batista should come home. There's a load of new divas he hasn't ploughed through yet.

Quoted for TRUTH.

Also, what kind of nickname is "Brass Body"? Is that carny for "not on gear anymore", given the difference between his physique now and his WWE days, when he looked like he was about to burst out of his skin at any given moment?

As he mentioned in his interview, he was nervous and it showed. I've mentioned before how ridiculous it was to expect a fighter like Jon Jones to take a replacement opponent on eight days notice when he had basically nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Bautista took an opponent change on five days notice for his debut, and the opponent change saw him go from a guy who had a 0-0 record like him to a guy who had stepped into the cage forty four times over the past twelve years. His record wasn't great, but he'd faced the likes of Tim Sylvia, Travis Fulton, Justin Eilers, Roy Nelson, Lavar Johnson & Tim Hague.

In short, he's been in there and fought some decent fighters in his time, a few of them having fought in the UFC before. He may have looked terrible, but this isn't a bodybuilding contest, the guy has twenty two wins, over half of them coming by knock out.

The comparisons with Lesnar are inevitable, and it's worth noting that Lesnar's first fight was against a guy with a 2-5 record, which was a pretty safe risk. Big Dave has to be commended for taking the bout he did on such short notice.

As for the fight itself, sure he got rocked, but what's more important in my opinion is the fact that he didn't crumble. Lucero obviously hits hard going by his number of knock outs, and he caught Bautista clean a few times. He maintained his composure and didn't freak out.

His ground game looked decent enough, and he didn't waste any time in securing mount and delivering some big blows. A passable debut all things considered in my opinion. Let's see what he does in his next fight.

• Paid Members
As he mentioned in his interview, he was nervous and it showed. I've mentioned before how ridiculous it was to expect a fighter like Jon Jones to take a replacement opponent on eight days notice when he had basically nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Jones was fighting a name though, worst case scenario Jones gets two monster pay days facing Sonnen (so the bloke didn't have "nothing to gain"). If Big Dave lost it's complete humiliation for zero gain against a bloke that Dog The Bounty Hunter once arrested in Greggs.

Batista's new ink is shite.

Jones was fighting a name though, worst case scenario Jones gets two monster pay days facing Sonnen (so the bloke didn't have "nothing to gain").

Jones losing his title to a bulked up middleweight who came in with less than two weeks notice wouldn't have done his brand any good, that's for sure. Even if he won the rematch it would still have virtually destroyed the Jon Jones aura, thus affecting his future marketability (even if he had made a decent amount of dough for the rematch).

It would have made the UFC a shitload of cash though, that's for sure. That's for another thread though.

• Paid Members

Jones was fighting a name though, worst case scenario Jones gets two monster pay days facing Sonnen (so the bloke didn't have "nothing to gain").

Jones losing his title to a bulked up middleweight who came in with less than two weeks notice wouldn't have done his brand any good, that's for sure. Even if he won the rematch it would still have virtually destroyed the Jon Jones aura, thus affecting his future marketability (even if he had made a decent amount of dough for the rematch).

It would have made the UFC a shitload of cash though, that's for sure. That's for another thread though.

That's not how it works though. One loss doesn't kill a 'name' fighters marketability (especially a loss that Jones/UFC can easily spin). Say he lost the first fight (and given Chael's record and how awesome Jones is, I'd argue it's unlikely), if he comes out and dominates Chael in the second fight the way he has every other fighter he has faced, he looks like a beast again - with the plus of the most eyeballs ever watching one of his fights. This is why I take exception to you comparing it to Batista's low rent fight and saying Jones is on his arse if he lost a fight to a bloke like Sonnen.

But yes, this is for a proper MMA thread.

That's not how it works though. One loss doesn't kill a 'name' fighters marketability (especially a loss that Jones/UFC can easily spin). Say he lost the first fight (and given Chael's record and how awesome Jones is, I'd argue it's unlikely), if he comes out and dominates Chael in the second fight the way he has every other fighter he has faced, he looks like a beast again - with the plus of the most eyeballs ever watching one of his fights. This is why I take exception to you comparing it to Batista's low rent fight and saying Jones is on his arse if he lost a fight to a bloke like Sonnen.

We've been backwards and forwards on the Jones situation many times (not you and I personally, but on this forum), and it's pretty much old ground. I'm more than happy to discuss this current thread of discussion, but over in the general MMA thread would probably be best for that.

I didn't compare the Jones situation to Bautista's on a prestige and significance level. Obviously it's nowhere near close in that respect.

On a much lower scale though, Dave was the guy who was in the spotlight and the name going into this card. For him to take a fight on five days notice that saw his opponent change from an 0-0 record, to an opponent who had stepped into the cage over forty times, against former UFC Champions and guys who ply their trade there today shows that he's worthy of respect.

• Paid Members

It wasn't even that his standup was bad (which it was) - but he didn't even put his hands up - he stood there with a blank stare, doing the Matt Mitrione (v Kongo) slappy hands; except Lucero wasn't willing to play slappy hands back - he was just going for lopping KO punches, and landed a few too. Poor effort, but that's probably mostly down to nerves. That said; put your hands up!!

Dave is just doing something he enjoys.

His stand up did look terrible, but I must say I was impressed with his ground work. He is not trying to be the next Lesnar, he is like I have said in the MMA thread a special attraction. Dave neither could or should take on anyone who is half decent.

In this climate and with his name, he could fight more journeyman and bums if he wanted to, its not like he is like Bam Bam Bigalow in the 90's fighting a decent (for the time) fighter in his first fight and getting licked.

The call from the UFC may come if he keeps winning, maybe a go round on TUF (absurd it may seem, but Kimbo did it) or a PPV co-main which he would probably lose. But I doubt it, his biggest fight will probably be against Bob Sapp or Ken Shamrock on a internet PPV.

The sad thing is, even as a man who thinks freakshows in MMA are passe in 2012, I would watch both those fights.

• Paid Members
Also wasn't a good idea to have a in ring interview who was socially awkward and had no verbiage.

Ha, that was UFC fighter Joe Lauzon. Good fighter but he's never really been known to have the gift of the gab or anything so it was an odd choice for an interviewer. He was shit in that role.

As for Big Dave, his stand up was horrible. Absolute shite. I wasn't expecting him to look like prime Cro Cop but I thought he'd know enough to keep his hands up and his chin down.

He looked alright on the ground in fairness, that's probably working with Bonnar and Cesar Gracie fighters like Shields and the Diaz's. He looked alright there but against a better striker he'd have been taken out before it got to the ground.

I'm happy for him that he's given it a go at least. He's clearly a fan and he deserves credit for putting the graft in, especially at 43 or whatever he is. But it's not a new career for him obviously. He's saying he'll fight again though. A WWE return would certainly be a better fit for him now but fuck knows where he goes now.

Loved his interview though;

"He hits like a fucking horse"

I was expecting him to throw in a "But I'm hung like a fucking horse".

Archived