The Ryder Cup

Devon Malcolm

Quick question. Was watching it earlier, and one team had won their match "7 and 6" after 12. By my minimal knowledge, you can either win a hole, or you can get 1/2 each it if you tie. Can someone explain how you can be up 7 after 12 holes? Cant figure it out.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick question. Was watching it earlier, and one team had won their match "7 and 6" after 12. By my minimal knowledge, you can either win a hole, or you can get 1/2 each it if you tie. Can someone explain how you can be up 7 after 12 holes? Cant figure it out.

It means that after 12 holes, Mickelson and Bradley had won seven more holes than the Europeans (Westwood and Rose I think). Even if Europe won the remaining six holes, they would still be one behind, so there's no need to carry on.

And you can only either win a hole or lose a hole, you don't get 2 points if you win a hole by 2 shots, say.

Makes more sense if there is no 1/2 for each team if they tie the hole. So in the simplest sense of a "7&6", Mickelson and Bradley won seven of the first 12 holes, and tied the other five, right?

Not necessarily, their opponents could have won the first two holes to go two up. If Mickelson and Bradley won the next two they would go back to all square; then if they went on to win the next seven holes they would be seven up with seven to play. They would only need to half the next hole to win the match, if they won the hole they would have won by 8 & 6.

• Paid Members

I wonder if this business of the crowd cheering during a tee-off will catch on with other players like Bubba Watson has had them doing? Looks a bit of a tit when he then slices his opening drive into the crowd, though.

• Paid Members

What's even more amazing is that we actually WON as well. It wasn't 14-14, which is what everyone hoped for, but we've actually won it outright.

I have to say that Sky's coverage has been absolutely brilliant as well. The commentators have all been knowledgeable, unbiased and superb - Monty was very good especially. Butch Harmon was fantastic as well, he almost sounded happier for Europe coming back than he was sad for America losing.

No year will top this for sporting drama. That was one of the great sporting comebacks I've ever seen.

What's even more amazing is that we actually WON as well. It wasn't 14-14, which is what everyone hoped for, but we've actually won it outright.

I have to say that Sky's coverage has been absolutely brilliant as well. The commentators have all been knowledgeable, unbiased and superb - Monty was very good especially. Butch Harmon was fantastic as well, he almost sounded happier for Europe coming back than he was sad for America losing.

No year will top this for sporting drama. That was one of the great sporting comebacks I've ever seen.

I couldnt stand Monty, constantly mentioning his achievements and past in the Ryder Cup. Butch was fantastic as usual, genuinely impartial and cheered on good golf wherever he saw it, which was constantly. Everything about SKY was great apart from the adverts, but thats part of the deal.

2012, please never end.

• Paid Members

Harmon reminded me of Gary Neville - absolutely no bias at all and just wanting to see good contests and completely blowing away any preconceptions you might have about how he would be.

I absolutely love the Ryder Cup. More crap sports should have a great event like this to make me interested in them.

Archived