The Ryder Cup

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I know it's golf. But it's not proper golf. Because it's good. Starts on Friday, guys, who are we having? These are the teams:-

Europe Rory McIlroy (23, NI), Justin Rose (32, Eng), Paul Lawrie (43, Sco), Graeme McDowell (33, NI), Francesco Molinari (29, Ita), Luke Donald (34, Eng), Lee Westwood (39, Eng), Sergio Garcia (32, Spa), Peter Hanson (34, Swe), Martin Kaymer (27, Ger), Nicolas Colsaerts (29, Bel), Ian Poulter (36, Eng) United States Tiger Woods (36), Bubba Watson (33), Jason Dufner (35), Keegan Bradley (26), Webb Simpson (27), Zach Johnson (36), Matt Kuchar (34), Phil Mickelson (42), Steve Stricker (45), Jim Furyk (42), Brandt Snedeker (31), Dustin Johnson (28

For me, it's Europe by a point. Much more experience, really settled team. I reckon Tiger Woods might play a blinder for a change in the Ryder Cup, but I don't think it will be enough. Can't wait for this, easily one of my favourite sporting events.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Really looking forward to this as always. Everyone is hoping for a Rory V Tiger singles but if it happens I have a feeling Woods will beat him by the 15th or 16th.

USA's guys are really playing well right now and they have some great putters on the team with Stricker and Snedeker so I think it's going to be really tight on Sunday with

it possibly coming down to the last match, as it did at Celtic Manor.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to for the three days is listening to "Get in the Hole!" and "Mashed Potato!" after every teeshot. Just once I'd like to see a golfer turn to the guy who yelled and call him a prick.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to for the three days is listening to "Get in the Hole!"

Theres nothing worse in golf than people who shout this on a tee shot (especially on a par 5) and sadly its not just the yanks who do it these days, there were a fair few, lets say uneducated local oiks at the open this year doing it too.

Think it'll be very close to call but think Europe will just take it.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to for the three days is listening to "Get in the Hole!"

Theres nothing worse in golf than people who shout this on a tee shot (especially on a par 5) and sadly its not just the yanks who do it these days, there were a fair few, lets say uneducated local oiks at the open this year doing it too.

Think it'll be very close to call but think Europe will just take it.

Agreed , it is boring and tiresome. There is a guy on a few of the PGA tour events this year who keeps shouting "MASHED POTATOES !!" after a group tees off which is pretty hilarious but probably the sheer randomness "WTF !?" style as well as novelty value but i can imagine it would get just as boring if it catches on.

Back to matters at hand i fancy America by a point or two. Not too convinced by Molinari in America from previous viewings and Kaymer is in the biggest rut of his career, total nose dive. Westwood's recent form has been honking too but he usually puts in a shift when it comes Ryder Cup time. Lots of positives though with so many guys who are on form and, more importantly, playing dual membership or in many cases solely on the US Tour this year so plenty experience of the crowds and the like. Donald, Rose, Poulter, McIlroy and to a lesser extent McDowell should thrive in that atmosphere.

What does everyone think we'll start out with on Friday morning? Tonnes of possible pairings but i'd lean towards:

McDowell / McIlroy

Donald / Garcia

Westwood / Poulter

Lawrie / Rose

Hoping for Europe obviously but cannot see past America i am afraid.

• Paid Members

To be honest, I think you can more or less throw the form-book out of the window when the Ryder Cup rolls round. If it meant anything, Woods would have the best Ryder Cup record ever. Matchplay is a completely different dynamic altogether, too, and I can only really see form making much of a difference in the singles.

I think Europe have the best team on paper, but if players like Webb Simspon, Jason Duffner and Brandt Snedeker, who have had great years individually adjust well to the Ryder Cup the USA could edge it. Rookie players tend to do well in recent times for the USA too.

Europe do look good though, with Kaymer and Molinari being the biggest worries. Most of the rest have good Ryder cup records or are in good form (Hanson, Lawrie)

Looking forward to seeing it unfold though, I think it does get over-hyped a little, but is always a great watch.

• Paid Members
What does everyone think we'll start out with on Friday morning? Tonnes of possible pairings but i'd lean towards:

McDowell / McIlroy

Donald / Garcia

Westwood / Poulter

Lawrie / Rose

Agree with most but think it will definitely be Rose and Poulter teaming up. They live close to each other, are good friends and did well together in Valhalla in 2008. Westwood could partner anyone really from Molinari to Lawrie or maybe even Kaymer, like at Celtic Manor.

One thing I'm really hoping for is to see Dustin Johnson and Colsaerts against each other in a battle of the bombers. All this talk about the course being set up for the Americans because they're longer off the tee is a bit misleading I think. McIlroy, Colsaerts, Westwood and Garcia are all long enough to match anybody. It's only really Molinari and maybe McDowell who are relatively short of the tee but they make up for it with accuracy.

Really excited for this. On paper it's very evenly matched. As mentioned above if Snedeker gets going I could definitely see him winning all his matches. He is so on form at the moment.

On an on topic note did anyone notice Jerry Lawlers music being used at the end of the opening ceremony, and how bad ass does Jiminez look, he looks like a short version of the undertaker.

how bad ass does Jiminez look, he looks like a short version of the undertaker.

Finally, someone other than me has acknowledged this. A few years ago I was watching golf on a shitty tv in Italy, and was convinced I was watching some weird pro-am celeb tournament with wrestlers in.

• Paid Members

Colin Montgomerie is already throwing knives and he's only been on commentary for five minutes. On Woods' opening drive.

"What was he thinking? Aiming left and hooking it? Absolutely awful shot, terrible."

He's going to be great fun.

Archived