Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators

WCCW was shown on Lifestyle at least, that I know for sure, as they shown tapes from the early 80s in about 1990 or so as David Von Erich was on them.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

To clarify, when I said we used to think "Sky only aired WrestleMania 2 onward" I meant the actual WrestleManias, not the weekly shows.

To bring this together, the early timetable of Sky was:

1982: Launches as Satellite Television in Norway and Finland. (Not licensed to broadcast in UK but accessible in some areas like foreign radio is.)

October 1983: Officially launches in UK. Viewable on massive dishes,

January 1984: Rebrands as Sky Channel. Slowly starts being picked up by cable channels.

1989: Moves to Astra satellite, so accessible on small, stick-on-wall dishes. Rebrands as Sky One, part of four channel package.

Wrestling wise, we know:

1984: Wrestling being shown by April at the latest, if not earlier.

1985: All Star Wrestling (WWF) airing and topping ratings. WrestleMania aired.

1988: Press release said "a previous WrestleMania" was the most watched show in its slot among Sky customers, ahead of BBC etc.

In this period, WrestleManias 1, 2, 4 and 5 were all on tape delay. I've seen accounts of 3 being live, but I'm not sure if that was Sky or if it was a local cable channel offering it on PPV.

• Paid Members

So what is Mene Gene referring to in that video from 1986 when he says that WWF is coming to the SKY Channel?

He seems to be suggesting WWF is actually coming to Western Europe. Is it possible they were planning something like the London show that they did in 1989 was in the works then?

Thanks for the video, Herbie. Absolutely fascinating. That Steamboat interview might be the worst promo ever.

• Paid Members

So what is Mene Gene referring to in that video from 1986 when he says that WWF is coming to the SKY Channel?

He seems to be suggesting WWF is actually coming to Western Europe. Is it possible they were planning something like the London show that they did in 1989 was in the works then?

Thanks for the video, Herbie. Absolutely fascinating. That Steamboat interview might be the worst promo ever.

EDIT:

The guy who gave me the tape had it in his personal collection for years - and he says he brokered the TV deal when he worked at SKY, and this is the unedited tape the WWF sent to him to promote their first UK tour.

Mene Gene namechecks him at 7:42 - Richard Platt (Gene gets it wrong, and the producer corrects him). I worked with Richard for a few years on some channel launches in 2006.

As Lister says - it does add up time-wise that it's a tour - and Mene Gene (after the name-check) does go on to say you'll be seeing the stars in person - so yeah - it's promoting a tour.

I don't know why I always assumed it was the WWF TV debut - probably because Richard was a TV guy.

Edited by herbie747

Re: WWF in the UK

I liked the way Mean Gene name checks Wembley as a possible venue for WMIII in a special report before the event (shown on that Mania Documentary).    Probably bull that it was ever considered of course, but nice that the UK was getting a nod.  

• Paid Members

Why does Neville have a cape? He doesn't use it at all. They could at least bung a fan in front of him so it billows or better yet he could run to the ring so it billows behind him.

EDIT - It occurs to me billows might not be a word.

Edited by DEF

Why does Neville have a cape? He doesn't use it at all. They could at least bung a fan in front of him so it billows or better yet he could run to the ring so it billows behind him.

EDIT - It occurs to me billows might not be a word.

billow

[bil-oh] 
Spell Syllables
noun
a great wave or surge of the sea.
any surging mass:
billows of smoke.
verb (used without object)
to rise or roll in or like billows; surge.
to swell out, puff up, etc., as by the action of wind:
flags billowing in the breeze.
verb (used with object)
to make rise, surge, swell, or the like:
A sudden wind billowed the tent alarmingly.

• Paid Members

It's probably people putting two and two together to make five, but one theory is that Neville's cape stems from Vince McMahon's original idea that he be a Mighty Mouse-like masked underdog superhero (which some folk comically misread/misreported as him literally being Mighty Mouse.) It's conceivable they'd already made the cape up before changing gimmick and decided they might as well use it.

1984: Wrestling being shown by April at the latest, if not earlier.

1985: All Star Wrestling (WWF) airing and topping ratings. WrestleMania aired.

1988: Press release said "a previous WrestleMania" was the most watched show in its slot among Sky customers, ahead of BBC etc.

In this period, WrestleManias 1, 2, 4 and 5 were all on tape delay. I've seen accounts of 3 being live, but I'm not sure if that was Sky or if it was a local cable channel offering it on PPV.

I assume the wrestling in '84 is definitely the WWF, unless it's something like Pro-Wrestling USA, but I don't think that would have been syndicated internationally as the WWF was riding on the crest of the Hulkamania wave and its more likely Hulk & the WWF would have been something more appealing to Sky due to the rising popularity of Hulk Hogan. I also read something before about Mania III being live, think it was over on the old TWCF. I don't think it would have been on PPV, but could have been. I vaguely recall there being a basic cable system in the 80's but that was mostly movies and such, so whether it could have been on there, I don't know. Seems more likely it was on Satellite on the normal channel they aired the WWF on. I thought the WWF first started being popular in the UK in 1989, so interesting that it actually pre-dates that by five years if the WWF did air in '84 (or could have even earlier when satellite first launched). On the Men & Motors WOS tapes they aired a few years back they had Hulk et al on the intro's so I think ITV showed the WWF sometimes too. I doubt whether ITV could have showed WrestleMania III but it would be something if they did. Don't know if any old TV schedules exist from that time from the TV Times etc to confirm it.