Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Indeed. "New Yorkers are lupid" - proof that really shit promo material is not exactly a modern development.

And yes, that show was a belter. Lesnar throwing Big Show around like a sack of shit is beautiful and the turn genuinely stunned me. The Elimination Chamber is good, not the best they ever did but good, and the ending is tremendous. We all wanted Shawn to win, let's be honest.

• Paid Members

The first one dragged in parts for me until Shawn got in. I preferred the ones with narratives running through them. "The Goldberg one", "the Batista one", "the one with Masters & Carlito working together." I thought both the 2010 ones were excellent for completely different reasons. And as I may have mentioned in another thread, the 2013 one is delicious, chocolate salty balls. The first one is more "great moment" for me than bell to bell a match I would re-watch in its entirety.

• Paid Members

The Goldberg one was the perfect handling of a star until the finish. Goldberg was like the hardest man that ever lived in that match. I remember spending days and months recreating that match on Smackdown Here Comes The Pain. Goldberg comes in and destroys everyone.

I remember thinking there was going to be a Nash vs Michaels program out of it as well, but that sadly didnt happen.

• Paid Members
The Goldberg one was the perfect handling of a star until the finish.

I didn't mind the finish, because I thought Goldberg would have got more out of lamping Triple H in a singles match anyway, and it took the whole pack and a sledgehammer to put him down.

Sadly instead of lamping Hunter at Unforgiven, he got dragged into having Hunter's match instead of his match. Yawn. The mistake they'd replicate with Orton/Reigns nearly 11 years later, for my book. Nothing kills a juggernaught babyface like prolonged selling for a guy you don't believe can beat them up.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I absolutely hated the finish. I remember watching it live and whilst Goldberg was kicking the shit out of everyone I thought 'finally it's the Goldberg I want to see, not the one pissing about with Jericho in an attempted wrestling clinic for half hour'. The way they booked him was shit, I'm pretty sure some of the crowd were booing him too. Then on the Chamber he's on it, but lost by a single sledge blow.

Edited by Murtz

• Paid Members

Then on the Chamber he's on it, but lost by a single sledge blow.

How many blows to the head with a sledgehammer are acceptable for a finish?

There was at least one chamber match where Mysterio was jumping around all over the gaff, clinging to the chains and bumping like a madman. I remember thinking they were close to career best performances from him, and he's had one of the best careers of anyone in wrestling.

The finish to Summerslam was it Triple H just trying to fuck over Goldberg's push?

Or was there a real big plus side of Triple H wanting to drop it to Goldberg in a singles match to put him over but couldn't at SummerSlam due to the groin injury. Hence the Chamber match which was reported at the time.

I do remember this result made me stop watching WWE until the Rumble the next year.

The daft thing was Triple H obviously needed time off to heal at that point so him being annihilated at Summerslam made sense to give him the time off

It would've made Goldberg a mega star, they could've had him vs Orton at Unforgiven or a triple threat with Flair added, big one on one Goldberg v Triple H at Survivor Series then still have him drop the title back in the same three way at Armageddon

At least Triple H wouldn't have looked a dickhead in his cycling shorts if they'd done things that way

Edited by Dr.PeterVenkman