Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Most WrestleManias up until the last 10-15 years were fairly rubbish, though, as is most wrestling once taken out of its own context. I'd say VIII was the first half-decent one top to bottom, but you have to remember that I've forgotten half the card from it as well as everything other than the main events of all the ones before it, so consider me a valid commenter at your peril. Bret vs Piper and Macho vs Flair has to be a stronger one-two punch than anything prior?

• Paid Members

Bret essentially cost him a decent run and all the cash that comes with it, just to be a dick about it. 

More protecting his own career. Bruce has minus charisma and the agents hated him. Bret might have been back in the IC division for the rest of his life if he'd have allowed Bruce to feud with him.

I'd personally say the year before with Savage/Warrior and Hogan/Slaughter.

Looking back, 90% of the first six Wrestlemania's are complete garbage.

So, 5.4 of the first 6 Wrestlemania were complete garbage?

Add me to the list of WM9 lovers, although thats mainly the first event I ever saw and owned on video and watched it over and over.

My guess would be they wanted to get as many people on the show as possible,  so that most folks would get a decent payday.  I remember hearing or reading that in those early days, a lot of those that defected to the WWF feared being blacklisted from elsewhere if things tanked for them with Vince, so giving people a spot on the big show probably helped with morale. 

I suppose these days it manifests itself as the "Lumberjack/battle royal" type match that gets everyone on the card. 

I'd personally say the year before with Savage/Warrior and Hogan/Slaughter.

Looking back, 90% of the first six Wrestlemania's are complete garbage.

So, 5.4 of the first 6 Wrestlemania were complete garbage?

Add me to the list of WM9 lovers, although thats mainly the first event I ever saw and owned on video and watched it over and over.

Ha, probably not worded correctly on my behalf.

I meant outside of a handful of matches the first 6 Wrestlemania's are terrible.

Paddy Power have the odds for Royal Rumble up. You can bet on winner, most eliminations and what number will win.

I asked for odds on the bossman and they refused. They must know something

• Awards Moderator

Yes. People with insider knowledge make a tidy sum on it.

And this guy got Failed Comedian?

I enjoy the irony of King of Old School shitting on the early WrestleManias. I'm still a big fan of III, the Vince template of three-ring circus is really evident.