Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Going through some old PWIs and and found a few issues where they published an Indy 30, their top prospects for the future. Some although obvious were spot on, some have long gone off the radar.

Air Paris, Scoot Andrews, Nova, Qenaan Creed, Christopher Daniels, The Island Boys Jamal and Rosey, Billy Fives, Haas Bros, Tony Kozina, Randy Orton, Mike Modest, Donovan Morgan, Onyx, Brock Lesnar, Nick Dinsmore, Hotstuff Hernadez, Horshu, Adam Pearce, The Prototype, Jason Rumble, Mike and Todd Shane, Damien Steele, Trent Acid, Shelton Benjamin, Rico, Minoru Fujita, Dalip Singh, Lance Cade, Jayson Reign, Chad Collyer.

Sean Casey, Matt Stryker, Race Steele, David Young, Caprice Coleman, Steve Bradley, Rob Conway, Doug Basham, Seven, Spanky, Paul London, Johnny Storm, Rukus, Samoa Joe, Colt Cabana, John Walters, Jody Fleish, Doug Williams, Low Ki, Frankie Kazarian, Chris Hero, Vinny Masaro, Bull Schmitt, Matt Murphy, Bobby Rude, American Dragon, Amazing Red, Xavier, Maximos, AJ Styles

Jeremy Lopez, Doug Delicious, Chance Beckett, Alexis Laree, Sumie Sakai, Trinity, El Tornado, Brock Singleton, Jimmy Sunka Jr, Sedrick Strong, Afa Jr, Tyson Dux, Alex Arion, Mike Kruel, B-Boy, Jason Cross, Josh Daniels, Jimmy Rave, BJ Whitmer, Dragon Kid, Aaron Stevens, Carly Colon, Shark Boy, Mark Magnus, Chris Cage, CM Punk, Johnny Jeter, Matt Morgan, Chris Sabin, Michael Shane.

Pinoy Boy, Monty Brown, Tank Toland, Ikuto Hidake, Nigel McGuinness, Sonjay Dutt, Chase Stevens, Petey Williams, Tracy Brooks, Mike Mondo, Chris Kay, Brent Albright, Melina Perez, Jillian Hall, Danny Daniels, Harry Smith, Jack Evans, Brad Bradley, Alex Shelley, Andy Douglas, Ricky Reyes, Rocky Romero, Gene Snitsky, Masada, Aaron Aguiera, Joey Matthews, Austin Aries, Chad Wicks, Fred Sampson, Shawn Daivari

• Paid Members

In regards to the commentary, we have been spoiled in the past.

Monsoons knack at making even the silliest angles seem important and real.

Heenans comedy.

JR's passion and intensity.

Vince's over the top selling

Ventura's knack of being able to play off anyone.

Even Lawler in the late nineties was far more interesting character than the shell we have now.

Problem is the current team have been around so long. Lawler has been a commentator on and off for about 20 years. Cole around 15 years. Its mad when you think that JR was there for less than 10.

The current announce team is probably the smallest pool they've had in 30 years too.

Michael Cole and JBL seem to be on every show these day. But "back in my day" in the early 90's, you had Vince McMahon, Savage and Lawer on WWF Superstars, Monsoon (and later Jim Ross) with Bobby Heenan on Wrestling Challenge, and Heenan and McMahon with ugh, Rob Bartlett, on Raw. Added to that you also had Mr Perfect, Sean Mooney and Alfred Hayes on a rolling basis. 

• Moderators

One thing I really liked about Monsoon was the way he'd try to root the physical hokiness of 80's and 90's wrestling in a kind of science. He was terrific at explaining the why's and throwing out complicated medical jargon -- "Right on the external occipital protuberance!" -- and he wasn't afraid to scornfully point out if a face hadn't hooked a leg, or other bits of in-ring laziness and nonsense other commentators would ignore or cover up. Perhaps I'll take back my earlier statement about him not being much cop. As a storyteller, no good, but getting across the world of pro-wrestling, he was top notch.

• Moderators

You buy a Wrestlemania DVD. What do you start with. Hall of Fame or actual PPV?

Hall of Fame's the night before, and they show bits of it on the PPV when the HoFers come out to wave at the crowd, so for continuity OCD, Hall of Fame first. Plus it works as a nice build up to the big show, with all the sense of history and shit. It's hard to come out of the HoF not in the mood to watch yourself some Wrestlemania.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Been working my way through Brawl For All. I just can't imagine why it didn't catch on. Surely everyone was desperate to see three minute fights with more breaks than punches and guys making it through after losing?

That Bart Gunn knockout is still spectacular though. I love how biased Ross and Lawler are towards Williams. In the first round Gunn is lacing into him and JR and JL are both shouting "What a hit by doc". He also gets the bonus points for the round despite clearly losing it. There was definitely a swizz result going down without the KO.

Hawk and Drop is a fun fight and Droz is entertaining against Savio too.

Once Doc is knocked out, they just start playing with it. Godfather offering Scorpio whores to throw the fight. Showing a replay of Gunn in a wrestling match against Valerie and speculating that he may be feeling the effects.

What a weird idea.