2012 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Good to see Jester in the list but slightly disappointed he's not a bit higher. Saw him at a few ICW shows and maybe one SWA show but can't be sure. Guy's pretty solid in the ring and has a great look. I'd expect a Top 10 placing for him next year.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 43: Cyanide

Score: 56 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2012 votes: 0

Percentage of 2012 ballots including Cyanide: 12.3%

(2011=43, 2010=NL, 2009=NL, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL)

cyanidex.jpg

Photo - Tony Knox

North-west super-heavyweight Cyanide manages to earn his second consecutive UKFF UK50 placing, finishing up in exactly the same position as he did last year.

After coming out on the losing end of his quest to topple Heavyweight Champion Damon Leigh over the first half of 2011, Cyanide (guided by manager Alan Alan Alan Tasker) was on the heel side in the 12-man CMLL-style Torneo Cibernetico elimination match main event at GPW's 'Night of the Brave' in November. The next month, his championship mission got back on track when he held the first ever Cyanide Slam Challenge. As a result of no-one (including GPW roster members, planted fans and commentators) being able to successfully body-slam him, the big man was again officially named number-one contender to the GPW Heavyweight Title. 2012 started with Martin Kirby having the strap round his waist, the much of the first half of the year has seen Cyanide position him firmly in his sights, whilst putting on a terrific series of performances. Cyanide, Cameron Kraze, Jason Logan & Dirk Feelgood beat Damon Leigh, Joey Hayes, El Ligero and BIN MAN in a brilliant 8-man tag in February, before 'The Toxic Terror' then beat El Ligero in another strong contest the following month. May saw Cyanide appear at the very end of the show and lay out the champion, before he put his number one contender's status on the line in a 'High Stakes' (everyone puts something up) 4-way at 'Battlefield II' in June. The super match, which also featured Kirby, Dirk Feelgood and Jack Gallagher, ended with Feelgood saying goodbye to his wrestling career and nothing at all settled between Kirby and Cyanide.

Over in Futureshock Wrestling, Cyanide fell under the managerial control of Chris Egan. After victories over Sam Bailey and Sean Daniels, he crashed out of the annual Futureshock Trophy tournament at the hands of Zack Gibson at the end of 2011. In 2012, Cyanide has enjoyed Futureshock wins over Josh Bodom and Voodoo, a GBP victory over Evan Sarven and had his handed raised over (former

and
opponent) Babyfaced Pitbull on Infinite Promotions' debut event in Liverpool. Pitbull has been Cyanide and his Ring of Horror partner Mark Massa were then defeated in the first round of Futureshock's tag team contenders tournament by Notorious BAD (Bailey And Daniels).

What did the UKFF think?

"Best monster going"

"Has came on in leaps and bounds over the last year and has the best dropkick for a big man ive ever seen"

"Brilliant big man"

"If there was no Dave Mastiff he'd be the best big man in the UK"

"Great big man"

"two words...dropkick...he flies higher than the cruiserweights. So light on his feet for a big guy. Great at putting others over. Love his monster character"

No. 46: T-Bone

T-Bone's an odd one to be sure. Nice bloke, had a chat with him last PCW, but I dont think he always 'clicks' with people in the audience, despite being good, hence the lower ranking this time around. Powerbomb to the Apron to Bubblegum, was completely brutal, just to add.

Intresting that Cyanide and T-Bone are this low down tbh, thought T-Bone would be abut higher in the ranks.

Great seeing Josh Bodom in the top 50 this year, he's a great talent.

But I'm wanting either Spud or Ligero as no1 this year round.

• Paid Members

No. 42: Trent Seven

Score: 58 points

Percentage of 2012 ballots including Trent Seven: 14.0%

(2011=NL, 2010=NL, 2009=NL, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL)

trentld.jpg

No, he isn't a water company, he's another making his first ever appearance in the UKFF UK50 after a year in which he has shot to the attention of many UKFFers after a run of matches against top-flight US indy competition. Fight Club: Pro's Trent Seven began this year's season as the Heavyweight Champion of the Wolverhampton-based underground promotion. At 'Fight for Honour' in July 2011, he squared off with ROH World Champion Davey Richards, with a pre-match coin toss determining that the 'American Wolf''s title was to be the one on the line. Though he would come out the losing end of their main event contest, Trent would get back to winning ways in the main event of the next show, where he downed Colt 'Boom Boom' Cabana.

Next up, Seven and fellow FCP regular MK McKinnan embarked on a September mini-tour of the US, including a match for CZW in the old ECW Arena. There, they had an unsuccessful challenge against CZW's tag tem champions BLKOUT - Ruckus & Jeez (the former Sabian, recently seen as Rashad Cameron in TNA). Later that month, CZW came over to the UK for a joint weekend of shows with FCP, wXw and Big Japan and, of course, Trent was right in the middle of it. On the first night, he went to war with Sami Callihan in a match that earned rave reviews. For next night, Trent teamed with big, bad Dave Mastiff in a losing effort against Dan Ryder and Big Van Walter, then wrapped up the weekend in a 3-way with Mastiff and Walter for the latter's wXw Unified World Title.

October saw another well-received main event, this time defending his FCP title in a ladder match with fellow Wolverhampton regular Clint Margera. 2011 would end with another big match, this time putting his belt on the line against

. The reign came to an end as it was the American who scored the win and took the belt over the Atlantic. 2012 would start with another win over Margera, before Trent would get his title
in the main event of the March show. Again, Seven was unable to get the better of Eddie, meaning he set off over the Pond for his next CZW shot belt-less. Taking part in the annual 'Best of the Best' junior heavyweight tournament, Seven, McKinnan and Drake Younger went down to Sami Callihan in a first round 4-way elimination bout. Trent would clash with Callihan yet again in a singles rematch back in Blighty on FCP's May event, before wrapping up the 2012 eligibility period by losing to McKinnan in a reportedly fabulous contest to determine the next challenger to Edwards' crown.

What did the UKFF think?

"Very solid and reliable. His matches with Callihan and Edwards at Fight Club were excellent. Needs to do more UK dates"

"The hardest hitting man on the UK scene, doesn’t do many shows outside of his home in FCP which makes his FCP performances all the more memorable. Always pull out huge performances and puts on epic matches on a regular basis. I’ve never seen him have anything less than a good match, genuine MOTY candidates against Sami Calihan, Clint Magera , Eddie Edwards, and Eddie and Nigel McGuiness in a 3 way. Matches against McKinnon, Dave Mastiff, Davey Richards and a 2nd match with Sami all deserve honourable mentions too and prove how he is possibly the UK’s best kept secret"

"Needs more booking away from FCP and could be a surprise contender for 2013"

• Paid Members

No. 41: James Mason

Score: 59 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2012 votes: 1

Percentage of 2012 ballots including James Mason: 17.5%

(2011=9th, 2010=26th, 2009=28th, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=18th)

masonp.jpg

Veteran performer James Mason makes his 5th ever and 4th consecutive UKFF UK50 appearance, but falls 32 places in the rankings. As well as having simply the best entrance music in British wrestling, Mason has continued to do what he does best - plugging away night after night putting on crowd-pleasing performances night-after-night, all over the country. As well as his appearances for All Star Wrestling and Welsh Wrestling/Grand Slam Wrestling, Mason has also featured this season for Phoenix Pro Wrestling and AWW in the West Midlands, BAWA in Northamptonshire and plenty more besides, including an October 2011 match with Johnny Kidd in Cheltenham and occasional double-duty under the hood of Tagori.

All Star's summer 2011 series in Rhyl, North Wales saw heel 'Fallen Angel' Mason feud with Dean Allmark over the Super Slam Heavyweight Title, including

and
matches, leading to a
bout to climax the holiday season. The next month, James was back in his traditional babyface role and chosen by All Star as the very first opponent for Japanese star Dick Togo on the UK leg of his international retirement tour.
in a fascinating-sounding contest.

2012 All Star action has included bouts with former WWE developmental talent Rampage Brown, Big Japan's Shinya Ishikawa and Norway's Eric Oslo, as well as victory in February's 1-night tournament in Ipswich. Mason also played a role in All Star's 'Legends' event at the historic Croydon Fairfield Halls,

What did the UKFF think?

"Seen James a few times this year and always has a solid contest, makes the list on consistancy for me. Videos I have seen of his stuff with Togo are great too"

"true Pro, smooth as silk, a star in his own right"

"I decided to put this guy at number 1 this year as I only saw him once this year but the guy blows all others out of the water. Great technical wrestler who is always delivering in the ring and deserves all the credit. Incredible bloke, plus he keeps his change in his kneepad"

"Coud work with a broom and would sweep up the crowd with a great match"

"So natural and at ease in the ring that makes him a bit of a unique wrestler and a pleasure to watch. Fantastic with smaller crowds, he has a blast, we have a blast. Job done"

"Doesn't matter in what setting you see James in he always delivers, still has so much to offer even after all his years in the industry, would love to see more of him in the 'noted' UK companies"

• Paid Members

No. 40: Pete Dunne

Score: 64 points

Percentage of 2012 ballots including Pete Dunne: 12.3%

(2011=NL, 2010=NL, 2009=NL, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL)

dunne.jpg

Midlands youngster 'Perfect' Pete Dunne makes it through to his first ever UKFF UK50 appearance by way of the Stage Two eliminator. Dunne continues to form a tag team with his brother Damien (once previously billed by Triple-X Wrestling as the 'Birmingham City Machine Dunnes'...) but is also stepping out and becoming known in his own right in bouts around the Black Country and beyond.

Featuring regularly for ATTACK! Wrestling, AWW, PPW and Pro Evolution Wrestling, 'Dynamite' Dunne has faced the local likes of Mike Bird, Ryan Smile and PJ Jones, taken part in a series of highly-regarded bouts with

and had a showcase contest with Zack Sabre Jr. In tag team action, the Dunnes have gone toe-to-toe with the
on numerous occasions, including beating both them and Team H8 in May to win the AWW British Tag Team Titles.

Venturing slightly further north, Dunne took on Sam Bailey and Chris Brooks in the Cheshire-based Great Bear Promotions, after coming back from a 2-night wrestling tour of POLAND.

What did the UKFF think?

"tag team genius who works just as well alone, love those brotherly feuds"

"Will be a top talent in the next 12-18 months hands down"

"Has probably improved more than any wrestler in the UK, has gone from flippy skinny boy to a fully fledged wrestler"

"So underrated. One of the bright up and comers of the UK, and should definitely be high in this list"

• Paid Members
Pete Dunne is a lovely kid with a bright future, but if he's better than James Mason then I am Floella Benjamin.

Hello Flo.

You can only vote on who you have seen. I had not seem James in the qualifying period so I could not vote for him. If I had then I probably would have.

I don't think anyone thinks this is the defintive "Best" in the UK list. It is a subjective list of who the people who post on the UKFF have seen over the year. Luckily the UKFF does not get to decide who is the best in wrestling because if they did then I am pretty sure Kevin Nash would be wrestling Sid every week to see who was WWE champion

• Paid Members

I'd have liked to see T-Bone make a higher place. He just missed out on my list though, if I remember right.

Great to see on a show and has something about how he looks, not just the good shape and the tattoos but a look in his eyes and how he stands. As gay as that sounds.

Mason is amazing, I love just how natural everything looks and feels seeing him.

Pete Dunne is a lovely kid with a bright future, but if he's better than James Mason then I am Floella Benjamin.

Hello Flo.

You can only vote on who you have seen. I had not seem James in the qualifying period so I could not vote for him. If I had then I probably would have.

I don't think anyone thinks this is the defintive "Best" in the UK list. It is a subjective list of who the people who post on the UKFF have seen over the year. Luckily the UKFF does not get to decide who is the best in wrestling because if they did then I am pretty sure Kevin Nash would be wrestling Sid every week to see who was WWE champion

Fair point. Though that would be awesome. In Your House 2, 2!

Archived