2012 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

Too many kids in this. Arent there any grown ups that wrestle in this country ?

So given if this was a football forum where there are a lot of talented young football players under 25 which I would consider to be young you would be complaining at that as I'm guessing your saying for a better way of putting it "lacking the experience" to warrant being put on the list? The same logic applies here. Lots of young talented people coming through. Just remember a few years ago when Arsene Wegner had his young squad of kids and they won a lot for a while then those young guys became experienced and moved on to pastures new and now he is trying to find that new young winning squad again.

Sorry to continue Tommy's off topic direction but I need to jump all over this. Which young squad did Wenger win things with? Was it the squad that included Pires, Bergkamp, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Gilberto, Seaman and co? I dont think that post could be any more incorrect!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He might be talking about the Unbeaten season in which case Seaman wasnt there then, nor was Adams or Dixon. They had Henry, Fabregas, Toure, Clichy, Ljungberg and Cole. All young at the time. By football terms at least. But shall we go back to talking about wrestling?

The problem with the voting is that people do not vote for the best wrestlers, they all vote for their mates. This has now lead to a culture where the wrestlers try to befriend the fans to try and get votes, thus destroying any illusion of a wrestler being a superstar. Some wrestlers have even been known to buy drinks for the fans! Surely this is suppose to be the other way around!

Do we want to go watch Manchester United play Manchester City, or do we want to see our mates have a kick about? (Sorry for the football related example)

Name me one name announced as being in the top 50 who have got there solely due to mate-rate voting?

No sorry but the level of talent in England is incredibly strong right now that a top 100 could be a conceivable idea. Do you really think that the wrestler who gets that top spot will have make friends with all of the 60 people up and down the UK who voted for this list?

The problem with the voting is that people do not vote for the best wrestlers, they all vote for their mates. This has now lead to a culture where the wrestlers try to befriend the fans to try and get votes, thus destroying any illusion of a wrestler being a superstar. Some wrestlers have even been known to buy drinks for the fans! Surely this is suppose to be the other way around!

Do we want to go watch Manchester United play Manchester City, or do we want to see our mates have a kick about? (Sorry for the football related example)

Not to mention that no-one gets booked off of this, so what's the point of trying to get to the top? I love this list, but it's just that, an internet list.

Name me one name announced as being in the top 50 who have got there solely due to mate-rate voting?

No sorry but the level of talent in England is incredibly strong right now that a top 100 could be a conceivable idea. Do you really think that the wrestler who gets that top spot will have make friends with all of the 60 people up and down the UK who voted for this list?

Well yes.

Someone like Lionheart ring a bell? Someone who is your "friend"? Someone who you have, in turn, been promoting to everyone that would like to hear it. I have a feeling that he uses this method with a lot of people and will feature quite highly in this top 50.

Not to mention that no-one gets booked off of this, so what's the point of trying to get to the top? I love this list, but it's just that, an internet list.

True, but the fact that you're in it would raise your profile amongst other users.

Also, I remember Ben Auld promoting a show and boasting about how many people in the top 50 were on his show.

• Paid Members

No. 34: Max Angelus

Score: 82 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2012 votes: 0

Percentage of 2012 ballots including Max Angelus: 24.6%

(2011=46th, 2010=NL, 2009=NL, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL)

maxwm.jpg

When Midlands Pro Wrestling disappeared, Nero headed to Nottingham to continue his development through what is now the House of Pain system. Now known as Max Angelus, the Nuneaton boy makes his second consecutive UKFF UK50 appearance, including a 12-place leap in the rankings.

Angelus has been a regular on shows in Nottingham and the East Midlands, including House of Pain's own shows (with November 2011 bouts against

(formerly Shane Spyral) and
). In 2012, this has extended to Southside Wrestling Entertainment, with the storyline setting up a bitter rivalry between HOP and SWE, with Max caught right in the middle of it. Angelus beat Robbie X and Nick Riley in a 3-way at SWE '4EVEREVOLUTION' in February, then scored a win over Kris Travis in April. A few weeks later, he clashed with
, then capped off May by winning 'Money in the Bank' Ladder match over Jonathan Gresham, Martin Kirby, Nathan Cruz, Robbie X and Jonny Storm. June's SWE event saw the HOP issue come to a head, and Max face his trainer/mentor/HOP leader
. Stixx, attempting to teach Max about respect, took the win...

In March, Max featured on a 2-night tour for Premier British Wrestling in Scotland, going down to Andy Wild on the first night then teaming with Nathan Cruz in falling short in a shot at Lionheart and Wolfgang's Tag Team Titles. He has also continued to be a regular for EAW in Northamptonshire.

Elsewhere, Max was defeated by 'Xtreme' Dean Allmark in the opening round of IPW:UK's tournament for the vacant British Cruiserweight Title, battled Joey Hayes for XWA up in Morecambe, appeared as part of the FWA's exhibition events for MCM Expo and faced former WWE superstar Rene Dupree in his debut for Preston City Wrestling. He even appeared on the notorious Adam Bowler's 'Mental Mayhem' event in Leeds last October in a losing effort to Mark Impact.

What did the UKFF think?

"My breakout star for this season. He has the look can talk and of course can wrestle !"

"was pleased to see him walk away with the Southside Money In The Bank case as he really is one of the UK's top blue eyes...shame he doesn't get about more!"

"Underrated, really gifted technical wrestler"

"Strong crowd engagement and consistently superb in ring presentation always make it a pleasure to see Max Angelus on a show"

"Up and coming cruiserweight star. Has the look and talent to go a long way in 2013"

"Another who is just starting to really get noticed and for good reason, has a fantastic natural charisma and a certain "it" about him and has potential as both a top face or heel. Thought he had a great showing against Dupree at PCW. Look forward to seeing more in the coming year"

• Paid Members
Too many kids in this. Arent there any grown ups that wrestle in this country ?

So given if this was a football forum where there are a lot of talented young football players under 25 which I would consider to be young you would be complaining at that as I'm guessing your saying for a better way of putting it "lacking the experience" to warrant being put on the list? The same logic applies here.

No it doesn't, you utter pleb. I'm not against younger, smaller looking guys being in this list but the same logic doesn't apply as the example you have. In football, it's 100% about talent, ability and whether they can do the job. With wrestling, most of it is all about how you look and carry yourself. If WWE had a load of small, young looking guys (I mean Colin Delaney rather than CM Punk, as a comparitive example for this argument) winning the main events nobody would take them seriously because they wouldn't be able to grasp how someone of that stature could be a better wrestler (a physical form, let's not forget) than the others guys around. However if bunch of small, young footballers began winning trophies all over the shop nobody would give a shit what they looked like.

Well yes.

Someone like Lionheart ring a bell? Someone who is your "friend"? Someone who you have, in turn, been promoting to everyone that would like to hear it. I have a feeling that he uses this method with a lot of people and will feature quite highly in this top 50.

So are you saying that Lionheart doesn't deserve to be in the top 50? I haven't voted for him this year because I have only seen him once or twice within the voting period, but he's a talented wrestler who deserves to be in there.

Lionheart is one of the most consistent best workers in the UK. Has worked for WWE and TNA in the same year, has held numerous titles and had numerous high profile matches all over the country.

That would probably be why he features highly in the list.

Self promotion is key. Alot of wrestlers don't take it seriously. Lionheart does, and that is evident. He has almost 2,000 twitter followers and uses this to promote himself to the world. Simple as that.

It's quite possible that some people:

A: vote for themselves... Arriba(!) im kidding he doesnt..

B: vote for their mates

Im pretty biased the majority of my list are GPW guys some i get on with some i dont but i try to vote for whos impressed me over the year sometimes its guys i know wont get any other votes in this but its MY list..

Besides this year i voted for dave rayne... And i dont like dave rayne personally but his gimmicks fucking good.

But yeah its a internet list its not important ... Unless cj banks wins it!

This list is really interesting and brilliant to read and a lot of hard work goes into it, but the majority if not all of wrestlers on the list will not hunt out UKFF members at shows and buy them a scotch if he agrees to put him in his top 15.

Anyway I put in a list and i'm not mates with any wrestlers. Well one, but he can fuck off if he thinks he's getting in my top 15, the shitarse. :p:laugh:

EDIT - Good to see Max on the move up the 50, even more so after a great performance at the weekend.

• Paid Members

No. 33: Wild Boar

Score: 88 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2012 votes: 0

Percentage of 2012 ballots including Wild Boar: 19.3%

(2011=30th, 2010=NL, 2009=NL, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL)

wildboar.jpg

A second UKFF UK50 ranking is achieved by South Wales' 'Wild Boar' Mike Hitchman after coming through the Stage Two eliminator.

In the 2012 eligibility period, Boar has established himself as somewhat of a fixture for Premier Promotions, a group with a good fit for his methodical,technical style. There, he has faced Graham Hughes, Wade Fitzgerald, Jonny Storm, Darrell Allen and his old rival 'White Lightning' Mark Andrews all along the south coast and in the south-east of England. Wild Boar also clashed with Andrews in

and in 2 showpiece matches in central London. First, they were participants in a 4-way Ladder Match (with Sam Bailey & Xander Cooper) at the 'BritWresFest 2012' exhibition event this April, then went one-on-one at THIS IS PROGRESS Wrestling's second event in June. Boar had also made his IPW:UK Sittingbourne debut as part of the promotion's Cruiserweight Championship Tournament, losing out to Zack Sabre Jr in a fine encounter at 'No Escape 2012' back in February.

Closer to home, Wild Boar has also remained a regular for Swindon's 4 Front Wrestling. He teamed with Behnam Ali to best Owen Phoenix & Jason Larusso at 'Steel Cage Warfare 2011', but then ost a return singles bout to Larusso on the 'WrestleWar' event in October. 2012 started with a 10-man Ladder Match for the vacant 4FW British Heavyweight Championship, though Wild Boar lost out to Eddie Ryan for the strap. Finally, at 'Battle Britannia 2012' in June, Boar teamed with Rockstar Spud to get the better of Larusso and Dragon Emperor in tag action.

Other appearances have included a regular run for ATTACK! Pro Wrestling in the West Midlands (including another bout with Sabre Jr),

, EVW in Gloucestershire and CSF in Somerset and Pro Wrestling PRIDE.

What did the UKFF think?

"I love this gimmick, so intense, so aggressive, I'd just like to see him get more shots with the bigger guys rather than just battering the smaller ones. Boar vs Saint would be a good watch I think"

"Really good nasty looking fighter who maybe needs to find his own identity and move from the Sami Callihan/ Rhino/ Kevin Steen influences"

"phenomenal technical wrestler, as intense as they come. Testament to him that eventhough he is extremely short, his wrestling is so good, you hardly notice his lack of height"

"unique look, unique style, proper intensity & gimmick"

"only saw him at the big gig at the Elephant but he was memorably excellent"

"No one else in the UK like Wild Boar, couldnt replicate him"

• Paid Members
This list is really interesting and brilliant to read and a lot of hard work goes into it, but the majority if not all of wrestlers on the list will not hunt out UKFF members at shows and buy them a scotch if he agrees to put him in his top 15.

Anyway I put in a list and i'm not mates with any wrestlers. Well one, but he can fuck off if he thinks he's getting in my top 15, the shitarse. :p:laugh:

Indeed. There's one guy in the Top 50 that I've been good friends with since we were both 11, having gone through school and now work together, but if I was to fix the list in any way it would be to move him DOWN the rankings, if anything. That would cut him deep...

No updates for the next couple of days, since I'm away watching wrestling rather than spending ridiculous amounts of hours writing about it. GPW tonight, TXW tomorrow.....

Archived