Which Wrestlers Care About the Wrestling Business

C-Rock

I read somewhere that Brock Lesnar doesn't really have a lot of passion for Pro-wrestling and he's just apart of it to make a great deal of money which I suppose is fair enough but it slightly pisses me for some reason. It's like he doesn't give a shit about the legends and wrestlers of yester-year who paved the way some guys like him could make money from the wrestling business. I'm sure I also read that he snubbed the hand shake of I believe it was Harley Race during his first run in WWE or it may have been that he didn't know who he was or something like that, either way its soo dis-respectful in my opinion.

Is it possible to believe that guys and girls who are just in it for the money and have very little in the way of passion for the business could potentially be more reckless in the ring as they don't appreciate the art form that even today still exists in wrestling if that makes sense. I suppose anybody who trains to be a pro-wrestler must have some passion because wrestling training from experience isn't exactly a walk in the park so you have to have passion to keep going back and paying your due's I suppose. Also does having the passion the likes of Shawn Michaels or the Undertaker has for the business make you a better preformer because you have more determination for the job your doing.

I can imagine a lot of the Diva's (not so much the TNA Knockouts) have very little interest in WWE or Wrestling history in general they just see it as a way of getting on TV based on their looks and getting the oppotunity to tour and see the world and make a decent living.

Batista also is another one who for me doesn't come across as a guy who as a kid sat watching the regional NWA wrestling days of the 70's/80's and instead just fell into the wrestling business as a way of making money, I haven't read his book and probs never will so I might be totally wrong.

Is it wrong to use the wrestling business simply as way of making money or would you prefer to see deserving actual wrestling fans from a young age make it in wrestling and realise their childhood dream.

• Paid Members
Batista also is another one who for me doesn't come across as a guy who as a kid sat watching the regional NWA wrestling days of the 70's/80's and instead just fell into the wrestling business as a way of making money, I haven't read his book and probs never will so I might be totally wrong.

I may be mistaken but I believe he was, and still is, a massive fan of the Warlord and/or the Barbarian.

Luger is one who always crops up in shoots as not having a drive for "the business" whatever the fuck that means.

Big Dave did like it as a youngster. He particularly loved Warlord.

I read somewhere that Brock Lesnar doesn't really have a lot of passion for Pro-wrestling and he's just apart of it to make a great deal of money which I suppose is fair enough but it slightly pisses me for some reason. It's like he doesn't give a shit about the legends and wrestlers of yester-year who paved the way some guys like him could make money from the wrestling business. I'm sure I also read that he snubbed the hand shake of I believe it was Harley Race during his first run in WWE or it may have been that he didn't know who he was or something like that, either way its soo dis-respectful in my opinion.

Is it possible to believe that guys and girls who are just in it for the money and have very little in the way of passion for the business could potentially be more reckless in the ring as they don't appreciate the art form that even today still exists in wrestling if that makes sense. I suppose anybody who trains to be a pro-wrestler must have some passion because wrestling training for experience isn't exactly a walk in the park so you have to have passion to keep going back and paying your due's I suppose.

I can imagine a lot of the Diva's (not so much the TNA Knockouts) have very little interest in WWE or Wrestling history in general they just see it as a way of getting on TV based on their looks and getting the oppotunity to tour and see the world and make a decent living.

Is it wrong to use the wrestling business simply as way of making money or would you prefer to see deserving actual wrestling fans from a young age make it in wrestling and realise their childhood dream.

I've loved wrestling all my life, I dreamed of being WWF champion as a kid. But I have to say no, it's not wrong to be in it for the money. Wrestling isn't a sacred entity, it's a dirty bitch and deserves whatever treatment it gets. It's up to promotors to deal with that sort of shit internally, either put up with it or get rid of it.

Brock was only in it for the money, that's fine and well but that's not the reason he made it to the main event. His size and talent took care of that, his desire for cash just provided the motivation. He made his money, and he made WWE money, Vince's problem was that Brock left and made more money elsewhere, which meant Vince's share of the money stopped (until now at least).

:) Sting always has and will come across that he cares for the business and loves what he does.

I use to think Hogan cared but now he comes across that he's only in it for the money.

Triple H, Taker, HBK, always will care in my eyes. Rock however to me only seems to come back for the money tho.

• Paid Members
Rock however to me only seems to come back for the money tho.

The only reason that Rock is in WWE now is because he loves it - he doesn't need the money. He earned $36m last year alone from movies and didn't have to take bumps or travel extensively to earn it. He's definately not in it for the money.

Edit - I don't understand why anyone would get annoyed about wrestlers not loving or caring about wrestling. There was a key word used in the topic title and 5 times in the OP - business. The only reason wrestling exists is for people to make money.

Expecting wrestlers to do it for the love of the sport, or to 'owe' anything to it after they've left, is fucking retarded. Especially when you consider that 'the sport' doesn't think twice about chewing wrestlers up and spitting them the fuck out.

Anyone who has ever bitched about Rock or Austin or Lesnar leaving, or argued that they owed the WWE anything, is a complete bell.

Wrestling is fucking piracy, man. The business is full of ridiculous danger, natural and manmade, and the only smart way to play the game is get in, get rich and get out.

• Paid Members
:) Sting always has and will come across that he cares for the business and loves what he does.

I use to think Hogan cared but now he comes across that he's only in it for the money.

Triple H, Taker, HBK, always will care in my eyes. Rock however to me only seems to come back for the money tho.

HBK doesn't even watch wrestling.

• Paid Members

His knees, hips, back and neck are in such a mess that he has to get several surgeries a year. He's suffered for his art. The bloke still turns up to do angles that really don't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. Kevin Nash compared Hogan to the Black Knight in Monty Python. He'll have his arm chopped off and say "It's just a flesh wound". He had lumbar surgery and had holes the size of bullets in his back and days later rolled out of bed to do an angle where he turned heel because they'd built it up so much. He would have gotten paid either way, if he stayed in bed, but he still did it. I'd say that is more proof that he loves the business than doing a youtube video to get yourself over so you can have an action figure on top of your telly. Hogan loves wrestling. He'll be wrestling at Bound For Glory. He wrestled (not much but he still had to move about which was ill advised) on the TNA House Shows in the UK. He's an admitted mark for the crowd attention.

These days maybe. But I jst watched Kevin Nash's 95 timeline where he basically said that Shawn lived wrestling and they (the clique) used to watch WCW Saturday Night on their weekend off.

• Paid Members

These days maybe. But I jst watched Kevin Nash's 95 timeline where he basically said that Shawn lived wrestling and they (the clique) used to watch WCW Saturday Night on their weekend off.

I watched half of it yesterday the vibe i was getting was Shawn was only passionate when it served him well.

The guys that truly love wrestling as far as I'm concerned are the ones who don't need the money or the attention but remain involved simply to achieve as much as they can and 'give' as much to the industry as they can. Ric Flair (in the nineties, at least - he now needs the money), Triple H, Bret Hart, The Rock, Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Big Show, Sting, 'Taker and John Cena are all good examples of performers who could have walked away from wrestling and stuck around for the love of the business.

I would also argue that the likes of Lex Luger, Kevin Nash and Batista also loved wrestling to a certain extent, whereas Hulk Hogan would have fucked off at the beginning of the nineties if he didn't love the business, as he'd earned enough cash and had enough mainstream success to ensure he'd never need to set foot in a wrestling ring again if he didn't want to.

To me, the ones that don't seem to 'love' wrestling have always been the ones that showed little signs of improvement in their work or have never really cared to stick around unless there was mega money on the table. Examples of this that spring to mind are Goldberg, Sid Eudy and Mark Henry.

Archived