R.I.P Sid Waddell

The Natural

Sad and shocking news, as I thought he was recovering well. I think he did some commentating at the Premier League (or was it the World Championships), which was (I think) around a year after being diagnosed with cancer, and he looked and sounded the same, and had heard nothing since, so this is shocking.

Not going to say I loved his commentating, but very sad news.

• Paid Members

Gutted, his commentary on darts was genius, his passion and knowledge for the sport came across all the time. Also responsible for writing one of my favourite tv shows growing up in Jossy's Giants. RIP Sid.

The PDC's tribute to Sid Waddell:

The Professional Darts Corporation have decided to make a lasting tribute to commentator Sid Waddell.

There will be a new World Championship trophy for this years tournament which will be named after him.

Waddell passed away this weekend aged 72 after a long battle with cancer.

PDC Chairman Barry Hearn said: "Sid was the Voice of Darts and we wouldn't be where we are today without him. He was such a major part of Darts, a really nice fellow who no-one had a bad word about.

"He was wonderful to listen to, with his university education he was tremendously intelligent and whether it was Greek mythology or Marxism he always found a way of pulling a quote out relating to a darts match.

"He's up there with the legendary commentators in sport and he kept his passion for darts with him every time he went in to the commentary box.

"He had so much respect for the players and hated that snobbishness that some people looked down on darts with - he brought the game in to the 21st century.

"He was fun to be around, you never saw him down and he looked forward to every match as it was the most important thing in his life. He loved life and whether it was writing or broadcasting he lived it 100 percent and gave it 100 percent."

Credit: news.sky.com

Archived