Being a Wrestling fan in the outside world.

Forrest

This thread has had me creasing.

I remember leaving TNA tapings in Wembley and some short fat smelly ugly fucker was wearing a X-Divison title walking around posing and GRUNTING as if he was the champ. He was getting all sorts of looks and attention and he was lovin' life. People like that are clearly embarrassing. I have a wide range of 'wrestling friends', some of them are annoying fuckers and some of them are really classy guys.

I went to Wrestlemania last year and there was a clear divide between fans, it was in Miami. I didn't go to Miami to watch DGUSA and ROH. Fuck that I went to the beach, got smashed and saw the city and surrounding sights. I would go into bars and there were wrestling folks there because every fucker was wearing WM28 Tees and such but they were normal looking folks, swigging a pint and pulling birds. But then you go outside and you see the belt wearing smelly fuckers rushing to catch the next indie show. I caught that 'Brawl Bus' to Wrestlemania as it was something cheap like $20 return and it was 45 minutes away. Luckily it seemed to be filled with normal folks who were pretty cool.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrestlemania was a reality check for me. I'd geard the stereotype of fans, but didn't realise how much a lot of fans resemble it. I think I only wore my 'Finally...The Rock has come back to Wrestlemania XXVIII' top on the day of Mania and Raw. I saw quite a lot who I thought dressed smart for Hall of Fame. Talking of Hall of Fame, I was sat next to a guy with his girlfriend. His girlfriend was friendly and was on her phone through all of it. They seemed like normal enough people, though the man seemed to be getting frustrated that he couldn't find his seat as he came over. During the speeches, Arn Anderson was saying about the great guys to have come through development and how CM Punk has become a locker room leader which he couldn't have foreseen. At that point, the bloke stands up and starts shouting 'JERICHO! Y2J, Y2J, Y2J!' Jericho looked over along with some other guys down at the bottom. He was removed straight away and his girlfriend looked chuffed as she said bye.

I've met fans who go on about PG Sux and things like that. I was at a club and a local wrestler was doing wrestling taunts, knowing me and my mates like wrestling. Except we were with one guy who hasn't watched it in about 10 years. The non-wrestling fan was talking to his mate, turned around and had the wrestler shouting 'YES!' in his face a few times. The funniest part was my mate dancing acting like nothing had happened.

I don't think anyone takes the piss out of me watching it. The closet fans come out of the woodwork when they're by themselves anyway. A mate of mine got his friends onto Rock promos. That was odd, as I'd turn up to the pub and they'd be reciting some.

There was a time when I was round my brother's and one of his mates was telling me that he can't get into that American shit. I think the conversation was initiated when my brother told him I'd gone to a show that weekend. He said all that American shit was fake, not like the British stuff.

EDIT: I don't mean that people who wear wrestling tops are sick freaks by the way. I meant more the unhygenic ones.

It's rare that someone talks to me about wrestling when it's not a good time. Sometimes, when it's too much, I try shift the conversation to football but it keeps with wrestling. Not often at all though.

I went to a local show NEWS in Peterlee me and a few mates where waiting to get in mainly the crowd where just families with kids, most of the groups of lads there didnt look like they smelt but then i didnt sniff them. Anyway we are standing in the que waiting to get in and this guy who fits the stereotype Big Fat guy short greasy hair wrestling tee and a Heavyweight championship and a World tag team belt. This is where it gets a bit mental was the kids in the que and me and the lads could hear them say to there parents ''His a wrestler seen his belts is he wrestling tonight'' Then the goon started walking up and down the que posing with his belt like the rock used to (woth one arm in the air) When the show started he was giving the wrestlers shit and holding up his belt all the heels seemed to be taking the piss out of him but he thought it was great. But ive been to a few shows and ive only really seen two or three types of wrestling fans that most people hate. Mainly families and kids groups of lads alot of women as well

You've reminded me of this somehow. At Raw, the wrestlers were getting off the coaches and making their way to the arena for Hall of Fame. At the front of the guard rails was some guy who was getting a little excited. Dolph Ziggler was walking to the arena and there was a cheer. This guy turned round and started shouting 'Oh my God! It's Dolph Ziggler! It's not showing off if you can back it up!' He repeated this for every wrestler that came out pretty much, bar your Yoshi Tatsus and Justin Gabriels.

Sounds about right, Sphinx. Judging by the youtube clips of people reviewing wrestling, it seems to appeal a LOT to people who are... challenged, let's say, in the mental department.

As a test, I'm going to type Raw Review into youtube and post a clip from the first page, right? You all try a similar search.

I mean, look at this cock on the left. Ok, neither of them are simple, but both of them need a decent slap.

Your go!

• Paid Members

I was only coming in here to post that I'm not embarrassed to be a wrestling fan but, other wrestling fans are embarrassing. NEWM summed it all up perfectly, everything he said and Ians 'if you don't get it, it's a mental thing to get your head around' are where it's at. And really, Ians statement probably applies to a whole shit load of other weird interests, just wrestling is one of the most widely well known ones.

There's definitely a shitload of cool people that love it, it's just they are hugely outnumbered by the morons. And although pro-wrestling can be amazing entertainment and a magnificent artform it forever has and will remain to appeal to morons.

To add to NEWMs list of 'the worst kind of people', I'd like to add those who insist on trying to get other people into it or make comments about non-fans such as 'he thinks there's been more than one Undertaker, what an idiot' types.

I've said before that pro-wrestling is a weird one and that being called 'pro-wrestling' is something that causes some of the stigma and misguides some peoples interpretation of it. For me, it's at it's best seen as and presented as almost a come to life, live-action Marvel/DC Comics show. That's how I see it and how I enjoy it. It's a weird one how some things are accepted and others aren't, when watching TDKR in the cinema recently with the woman, although she absolutely loved the film (I didn't) she commented during the initial Bane -Batman fight scene the reality of the fact we are watching a guy in fancy dress get pummelled. That scene, the whole film actually, is pure pro wrestling. Yet, take them out of that and stick them in the main event of Raw and it's received by the majority in a very different light.

• Paid Members
You all try a similar search.

Challenge accepted!

I used the golden expression "silvervision unboxing" and stumbled on this thing.

Highlights include:

- Introducing himself as something that sounds like "Living Legend" because he doesn't bother to articulate, although his username suggests it "LEGENDLRB92".

- He's filming in a converted loft, filling in the stereotype of living with his parents.

- The room completes the stereotypes. There are:

* Title belts on display

* Posters of the divas on the wall

* An EDDIE GUERRERO T-SHIRT ON THE WALL!

- He starts his video bemoaning trolls, pointing out that he's gotten some harsh comments. "They are total retards, guys." "They're them kind of people, them fat people wi' no job, no life, live in fookin shit 'ouses. All they do is sit at the computer or laptop."

- The suggested videos on the right include one for

, who seems to rather delusionally think of himself as a pretty boy, if the username THEHBKREBEL is anything to go by.

• Moderators
To add to NEWMs list of 'the worst kind of people', I'd like to add those who insist on trying to get other people into it or make comments about non-fans such as 'he thinks there's been more than one Undertaker, what an idiot' types.

Oh god yeah. In the past I've even seen people say to kids "John Cena's shit!" and gives them a litany of reasons why, and I'm thinking "You're a fucking cunt. Die".

Personally, I do give a fuck what people think of me, and I have often thought that the ones who shout about "HOW I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, ME!" are the ones most likely to hang themselves as they do give a fuck, so I pretend to not be as much into wrestling than the total obsessive that I am. But to be honest, I don't see why so many wrestling fans have a cob on about everyone having to know they're a wrestling fan. They all say "Fuck yeah, I'm proud to be a wrestling fan, fuck the haters" but I want to know how people would find out your a wrestling fan in the first place. Why would you tell them? Why would it come up? I've met people who bring it up in the first 20 minutes of conversation at do's and things. You wouldn't just fucking say to someone early in a conversation without prompting how much you like Sunset Beach or something, so why do people do it with the wrestling?

• Paid Members
Personally, I do give a fuck what people think of me, and I have often thought that the ones who shout about "HOW I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, ME!" are the ones most likely to hang themselves as they do give a fuck, so I pretend to not be as much into wrestling than the total obsessive that I am. But to be honest, I don't see why so many wrestling fans have a cob on about everyone having to know they're a wrestling fan. They all say "Fuck yeah, I'm proud to be a wrestling fan, fuck the haters" but I want to know how people would find out your a wrestling fan in the first place. Why would you tell them? Why would it come up? I've met people who bring it up in the first 20 minutes of conversation at do's and things. You wouldn't just fucking say to someone early in a conversation without prompting how much you like Sunset Beach or something, so why do people do it with the wrestling?

Bang on.

Without being offensive, there's no doubt that Wrestling should be looked at as anything except a guilty pleasure. By it's nature it's something you should be a little embarassed about if you're an otherwise socially normal person.

There's a lot of people here who can spend all day talking about Football, women etc. This forum has reassured me a lot that you're not automatically a weirdo for watching men in underpants pretending to fight.

NEWM summed it up for me. I know my love of Nash, TNA and Hogan aren't going to bear me well in a conversation with the sort of person who wears a CM Punk T-shirt in public.

Aye, that's true as well. I remember the chatroom marking out like bitches when the Wolfpac briefly reunited on TNA.

That's why I keep an interest in Wrestling these days, to relive the cool gimmicks I liked as a kid. I couldn't give less of a shit about Dragon Gate, who has the best workrate etc.

I'd say everyone knows I watch wrestling. I have never been slagged off for it and my love of wrestling has never had a negative impact on my life - social or otherwise nor my relationships - I'm happily married and have great family and friends.

I know a mix of people who watch it and those that don't and to be perfectly honest it doesn't bother anyone in the slightest just as it doesn't bother me that half my friends love the awful TOWIE or Eastenders and others are into things like golf or have various musical tastes that are not to my liking.

And to answer the question about wrestling fans - yes some of them do annoy me, especially those at wrestling shows that try to be funny and try to start "smart" chants which makes them look even more of a loser. Also the fat, greasy looking ones that walk around carrying belts as if they are The Rock or Steve Austin - eh NAW!

Most of the important people in my life know i like wrestling. It's not necessarily something I advertise, and nor is it something I announce when I've just met someone. People I work with only found out when someone saw a photo of someone doing the 'You can't see me' and I explained it was from John Cena.

My Dad thinks wrestling is gay, but my dad's an arse, so I ignore it. My wife likes going to live shows (we've done a few Smackdown house shows in Cardiff now), but can't watch it on TV.

Some wrestling fans are just cringeworthy though. There's a dude who walks round Bath with a WWE title strapped over his shoulder at all times, and doesn't realise what a complete cock he looks. The same guy has tried to talk to me about wrestling when I was flicking through WH Smith's collection of wrestling biographies, and I had to walk away when he started using phrases like 'Batista's work-rate has improved so much' and 'that match worked so much better than I thought it would'.

I have a couple of mates who like it and are happy to chat about it, and I go on a couple of forums too. i don't watch indie stuff since the Wrestling Channel / Fight Network stopped, I gave up on TNA some years ago, which means that some wrestling fans dismiss me as a WWE fanboy. The fans I tend to find most annoying are the ones who decide that because they know everything about lucha libre or who the next big thing in PWG is, my opinion counts for nothing.

Never had much of a problem with it. There's only a few people that know I watch it but that's nothing to do with me being embarassed. I just don't bring it up to people that I know don't give a shit about it, which is where so many people go wrong.

Yeah, some fans are cringeworthy but lets not act like it is something that is restricted to wrestling. Football's the most popular sport in the world and some of the morons I've met at matches are just as bad, if not worse. It's the same with all sorts of fanbases.

There's a dude who walks round Bath with a WWE title strapped over his shoulder at all times

does he have a condition? Or is he just that much of a pillock?

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, I'm genuinely asking, as I find it hard to believe that anyone of sound mind, no matter much or moron they may be, would think that doing that would be a good idea unless they have something wrong with them

I went to a local show NEWS in Peterlee me and a few mates where waiting to get in mainly the crowd where just families with kids, most of the groups of lads there didnt look like they smelt but then i didnt sniff them. Anyway we are standing in the que waiting to get in and this guy who fits the stereotype Big Fat guy short greasy hair wrestling tee and a Heavyweight championship and a World tag team belt. This is where it gets a bit mental was the kids in the que and me and the lads could hear them say to there parents ''His a wrestler seen his belts is he wrestling tonight'' Then the goon started walking up and down the que posing with his belt like the rock used to (woth one arm in the air) When the show started he was giving the wrestlers shit and holding up his belt all the heels seemed to be taking the piss out of him but he thought it was great. But ive been to a few shows and ive only really seen two or three types of wrestling fans that most people hate. Mainly families and kids groups of lads alot of women as well

Was that the show where Micky Long snatched the belt, cracked it over an opponent's head then threw it away. It was one of those few hundred quid replicas, dunno if he brought it next time :laugh:

Archived