Being a Wrestling fan in the outside world.

Forrest

• Paid Members

I don't see how it would come up every day life. My friends were all at some and to some degree still are fans, my girlfriend knows I like it but isn't that concerned and my family don't care. I'd hardly randomly mention it at work so yeah...not an issue.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To try and bring the beaten dead horse back to life a little bit, I'll ask - What do you think when you meet another wrestling fan?

I ask this because, other than my cousin and my one mate who's a proper fan, I think every one of them I meet is a first rate fucking cunt. I love this forum, but I bet I'd avoid everybody on here at all costs if we were meeting up based on a shared wrestling interest. I'd probably hate you. Sorry and that, but the reasons are manyfold:

- Jealousy. Like most of you, I'm probably the one out of everybody you know who knows the most about wrestling. Then, if somebody comes over that may know more, it's a pissing contest I NEVER have to have in my life, and I'm horribly under prepared for it. So much so, I pull away altogether, and then that bastard walks away thinking he knows more. When he doesn't. The cunt.

- So many (SO MANY) wrestling fans are fucking HORRIBLE. This is not the usual assault on the smelly indie regulars, the belt holders at WWE shows, or whatever. We all know they're twats, and most of us know to try and spot if any tiny corner of our personality/appearance is like that and adjust it accordingly. No, most you meet will probably disagree with what you think, disagree loudly, and then try to speak to you ALL FUCKING NIGHT about wrestling, and wrestling alone, because they never can normally. I had this happen on a stag do once and it nearly ruined a weekend. He was loud, he kept using the shittest excuses to bringing it up, and it wound up nearly segregating me from the rest of the group because he was so shit at talking to other people. I often sit at WWE shows and think I spot these types. They're hidden better than most obvious wrestling fans, but it's the worst when it happens.

- Every grown up wrestling fan I've ever had the misfortune to meet hates John Cena, The Great Khali and Kevin Nash. I love them. They don't get it, I can't be arsed to argue, they think I'm some sort of idiot, the conversation dies. I know Pity pisses people off on here when he treats a lot of people like 2003 IWC fucking bellends, but my guess would be because he's encountered them in real life. I've certainly never met any other wrestling fan that would just happily say "I actually like The Big Show. He's big, and I like his big punch", or something nice and run of the mill like that.

- I'm gonna have a kid soon, and whilst I won't encourage them to watch it, I'll probably still be watching it and they might one day want to watch it with me, get into it, then go to WWE. This will be fine by me, but when the day comes, it will be about their enjoyment, and theirs alone. If they're not a fan, and I am, I'll go with my mate or just miss the show. Pushy wrestling parents are fucking disgusting creatures. You know the ones, they take their (bored) kid, don't let them like John Cena, keep them by the car park till 12am on a school night for the kid (them) to wave at the wrestlers as they leave on the coach. Bastards, them lot.

- Lonely ones just start talking to you like that's okay and socially acceptable. It's fucking NOT. Like I've said, if there's three of us going to a show, that means we might be in conversation about it when we're on the way, in the pub or whatever. But the ones that go by themselves think it's just totally fine to pull a stool up, creep in to the conversation, COMPLETELY UNINVITED. The stool one actually happened to us once, it was horrible. I have never known this happen with such regularity in anything else I've ever been into, even football. This one gets on my tits the most actually, because invariably the person that has just rudely decided they're part of your group probably falls into one (or more) of the three situations above.

So yeah, it's something I realised years ago, and it moulded the way I view being a fan myself, because I don't want to give off any of the above (or a fucking massive stench of B.O). So what do you think of wrestling fans? Are you an anal cunt like me? Or would you hop on a UKFF bus to NY for a Forum Wrestlemania trip?

• Paid Members

You're mostly right NEWM, through being a wrestling fan I've met plenty of grown men that were total fucking idiots, but I do know a few lads that are normal, sociable, hygienic human beings that just happen to still watch wrestling and enjoy it. I'm pretty confident that most of the best posters here would fall into that category too.

General opinion about other wrestling fans? Well, I wouldn't go near a live show, for pretty much the same reason I wouldn't have wanted to go to one of those Stone Roses or Happy Mondays reunion gigs. Not because I don't think I'd enjoy the entertainment on offer, but because I strongly suspect I'd be surrounded by people I strongly suspect to be cunts.

I think discretion is underrated. The reason I'm not ashamed to be a wrestling fan is because I don't broadcast it loudly and obnoxiously for the world to hear to the extent that it infringes on my dress sense or my musical taste or my conversational material. That's not limited to wrestling fans, though. I hate the way the fucking Big Bang Theory has somehow given comic book nerds and superhero obsessives the misguided idea that reboots and comic book 'canon' are acceptable 20-minute conversation topics in mixed groups. They're not. Fuck off back under your rock.

No, most you meet will probably disagree with what you think, disagree loudly, and then try to speak to you ALL FUCKING NIGHT about wrestling, and wrestling alone, because they never can normally. I had this happen on a stag do once and it nearly ruined a weekend. He was loud, he kept using the shittest excuses to bringing it up, and it wound up nearly segregating me from the rest of the group because he was so shit at talking to other people. I often sit at WWE shows and think I spot these types. They're hidden better than most obvious wrestling fans, but it's the worst when it happens.

That is the worst - the worst, Jerry. One circle of friends I knock about in mostly know each other from wrestling training years ago, but most of us have - I hesitate to use the phrase 'grown out of it', because I clearly haven't if I talk about it on a forum, but we certainly don't watch it as much as we used to and it plays very little conversational part in our nights out.

But one lad (ironically, one of the ones who never did the wrestling training and doesn't necessarily look like a typical wrestling fan) insists on talking loudly to me on these nights out about the latest episode of RAW, even though I've told him umpteen times I don't have Sky Sports anymore and haven't watched it for months. As you say, the segregationist aspect of it is shite, and they just don't take hints if you're too polite to tell them to just fuck off.

....I hate wrestling fans....

I really liked this post. While I dont agree with everything there, and have never had the misfortune to meet too many such people, I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Local wrestling shows are usually fine, as the majority are just families, but you do get the odd tossers there.

The couple of times I have went to the 'bigger shows' though (International Showdown, 1PW etc) the majority of fans there are the sort of people I would cross the street from.

I have met some nice guys at these shows, but I remember seeing a group of guys sitting at a table in the pub across from my group wearing sunglasses, garish wrestling t-shirts, one of them wearing a title belt, and worst of all, all drinking coke. Total pricks.

In my mind, these guys have come to sum up a lot of wrestling fans I see

Even if I see someone in the street wearing a nWo shirt or whatever, I always think...' Hey, a fellow wrestling fan......... Ill keep out his way."

• Paid Members
Whenever I go to a wrestling show, I look at pretty much every other fan and think "What a cunt", and I expect likewise when they look at me.

:laugh:

No, really? That's what you expect?

Well it's only fair that they tar me with the same brush. I even get a sense that it's what every fan thinks about everyone else. Being a wrestling fan is almost like being an inmate at prison; we're not all acceptable in society. Everyone is a wrong 'un in a sense, from the petty criminals who keep their heads down to the maximum security risks strutting about with a Dolph Ziggler shirt and a winged eagle belt over their shoulder while going "Woo woo woo!" at the new arrivals. Most of us keep what we do on the down-low, but some of us deserve the fucking chair.

• Paid Members

I have had the piss taken for liking wrestling but that's mostly from my immediate family, I now have back up from my 8 year old nephew who enjoys the shows and playing WWE All Stars and strangely always picks to be Eddie 'Aguero' - but I digress. I haven't been to many live shows but of the ones I've been to I can safely say there's always a few odd characters in attendance.

Been a wrestling fan for 40 years & proud of it! Everyone who knows me is aware of my passion. Got some amazing friends & had a hell of a lot of full on, Brilliant experiences (& a few shit ones). Also had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with my son (another wrestling fan) & probably have spent more time with him because of our mutal interest than most Fathers who have less common ground with their kids.

Tbh i myself have never been too bothered what others think

I got tons of stick in the 90s ect for the type of music i used to DJ....(sSSSH...Happy Hardcore!!)

So i was used to it anyway

Water off a Ducks back

My answer was always "Well i get to DJ at Clubs in the UK and abroad,get paid for it and as a bonus Girls love a DJ.

It shut most people up.

Tho i have to admit as of yet im unable to fire back an answer regarding Wrestling as i have not wrestled anywhere and have not got my own Action Figure.

Bah!!

Fuck what others think

We all enjoy it and thats what matters.

I'm honestly not bothered what people think. I consider a few things to be a big part of me as a person, that is obviously the people I am close to, family and friends, where I am from and where my family is from, I'm from Manchester and the majority of my family are from Ireland, and the things I am interested in. Those things include Manchester City, comedy, music (top favourite bands obviously mean a lot more than just random CDs I buy), books (again top favourite authors mean a lot more than random books I buy), nature, comic books and one of those things (actually one of the bigger ones as I've been into wrestling longer than all of these things bar Man City) is obviously wrestling.

So why hide the fact that I enjoy watching and following wrestling? Fair enough I understand some people may be embarrassed to let that be public knowledge but to me that is being fake and hiding who I am. I don't go around parading in tshirts with the big WWE logo emblazed across it, or a big image of a topless John Cena or CM Punk on the front of it. I do however wear some shirts I like, such as Punk's current In Punk We Trust one, also one I wear every once in a while is the Property of TNA one, I just think it looks pretty cool, another it the Punk Nexus one or the white Punk one, but really they're the only ones, most seem to be geared towards kids or they just don't appeal to me. I have loads of the DVDs and openly look in the wrestling section without worrying about who sees, I don't try to hide the DVD if I'm buying one as though it's some sort of adult movie or something, it's wrestling, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

If someone feels the need to laugh at me for watching wrestling or call me gay for "watching men roll about and touch each other in their underpants" I think it says a lot more about them than it does about me. Firstly they are ignorant and don't understand what wrestling is, secondly they are probably homophobic if they come out with a statement like that, thirdly they probably want a reaction and want to argue or fight with me and fourthly it'd probably wind them up more if I just shrug it off.

Or if they see I like wrestling and can't wait to tell me it's "fake", well they're ignorant and looking for a reaction again, firstly I'm not bothered if people think it's fake, who cares? I enjoy watching as it is an art, it has interesting storylines and characters and well I like it and it entertains me. Fake is a weird word to use anyway as I think if they get slammed on their back it's going to hurt, so that isn't really fake, soaps, TV shows, films, they're fake but no one feels the need to run around explaining that to people.

So yeah I realise I may not have a girlfriend but I don't walk around looking like a mess and I don't think wrestling has anything to do with me not having a girlfriend. I have a good group of mates, some who talk to me about wrestling every now and then if they've caught a show and not to put me down but to genuinely discuss it. Some people at work know I watch and follow wrestling, the ones who aren't bothered don't say much about it to me but if they've seen a film with The Rock in or something they might mention it to me or ask me something about him or just make a comment on him, those who do watch have chats with me about it and those who don't know, it isn't because I'm worried about telling them, it's because I've never had the need to or it's never cropped up in conversation. The funny thing is most who don't watch it do mention how they used to love watching it or those who I didn't think watch it will make a comment about this week's Raw or something.

In a similar way when I wear one of my Punk shirts all I have ever heard commented about it is "oh nice shirt" and they'll mention something about wrestling to me.

I don't think most people really say much bad stuff about wrestling to me now, in my eyes it's not really something bad to be embarrassed about, those who don't watch it aren't bothered if I watch it, those who watch it may say something if I'm in a shirt and they don't know me and then we'll have a short chat and genuinely I haven't had anyone laugh at me for it in absolutely ages, I can't remember the last time that happened to be honest.

I genuinely don't think anyone really cares if you watch wrestling or not anymore.

I guess it's fans who walk around looking like messy overweight slobs in some sort of dirty pair of jogging pants that may be a bit tight on them and an old wrestling shirt with a bit of a hole in it somewhere, I'd guess they're the ones who get the stick for being a wrestling fan. I remember going to a signing one day and there was a guy kinda like that stood next to me in line, he was a decent enough guy as I was chatting with him but the way he dressed and so on made him look a bit of a slob and I think that's the sterotype of a typical wrestling fan, despite it not being at all. There were little chavvy kids walking past laughing at him which I thought was terrible but that's how it is and to them he's a wrestling fan, he's the face of wrestling to them. I think comic book readers get a similar sterotype to them, but again I like comicbooks, know a lot of respectable guys with girlfriends and wives who dress well and so on and they collect comic books.

I honestly don't give a fuck. I've never been one to care about what people I don't know think of me. Not that I run around advertising that I'm a fan or anything, but it's not something that embarrasses me.

Same. Again, I dont go around advertising it, but then again i dont go around advertising I love Pearl Jam, but I do. If you know me you'll find out I bloody love pro wrestling, Bret Hart is my favourite wrestler, and I've still got unconditional love for Miss Elizabeth... Everyone I know knows I love wrestling, why the hell should I be ashamed of something thats been involved with me for most of my 25 year life! Its given me some amazing moments and some amazing friendships bonding over wrestling as well. I think Im just a regular joe I can carry conversations about non wrestling stuff and if the conversation slips into rasslin' then thats cool. Im sure people take the piss, thats fine in doses as long as they can take me taking the piss out of them for whatever stuff they've got going on. If someone doesnt want to know me because of my one slightly weird interest then fuck 'em!

• Paid Members

NEWM has hit the nail on the head for me. Believe me, I have mates that are fans that I'll gladly sit down and chat for ages about what's going on in the wrestling. But meeting another fan is hideous heart-freezing teeth-clenching trauma, especially when you're in a group of five or more people in a "mingling" situation, some or all of whom have never met before. This guy figures out that you like wrestling too and - BAM! - you're stuck with him. 20 minutes? All night? Weeks of stalking on here? Depends how forceful you are.

Here is the conversation I try and have when cornered by "the other fan" and what I'm thinking in brackets. I always try and throw them off the scent a little but somehow it always backfires.

"So you like wrestling, yeah?"

"Ummm, yeah it's ok." (it's my biggest interest and steals a significant portion of my disposable income)

"Cool! What you into?"

"Ohhhh..... mostly the Japanese stuff." (I watch Raw every week and definitely anything you watch, but I'll try and escape by choosing something niche)

"Yeah? Me too! Ever been to see it live?"

"Er, yeah once or twice." (over 50 times and counting on three continents)

"Yeah, I went off WWE. It's too much like soap and not enough like sport these days."

"I still watch it occasionally, if there's nothing else on. It's just a passing interest." (please take the hint)

"I know what you mean. Do you think they rely on Cena too much?" (FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF)

All the normal people are off having a great time, getting to know each other and NOT focusing on one thing and one thing only that they all have in common, safe in the knowledge we are best left to ourselves to avoid cross-pollination. If there are ladies present, the alpha males will most certainly be saying "I think that pair are happier left to talk about the wrestling" with a smirk. "Pair" as in to equate with "couple." That's right girls, they'd rather talk about the wrestling than talk to you. After this wraps up, they'll likely go off and bum over their love of sweaty men in little pants.

God, I hate other fans.

General opinion about other wrestling fans? Well, I wouldn't go near a live show, for pretty much the same reason I wouldn't have wanted to go to one of those Stone Roses or Happy Mondays reunion gigs. Not because I don't think I'd enjoy the entertainment on offer, but because I strongly suspect I'd be surrounded by people I strongly suspect to be cunts.

You'd be right on that one.

"Arrrrr, got any pills mate?"

No I haven't. Fuck off and take your stupid hat with you.

Archived