Being a Wrestling fan in the outside world.

Forrest

As discussed in the Power Slam thread, wrestling fans aren't known for radiating cool (except Houchen). So how does everyone feel about being a wrestling fan in society? Are you proud? Do you find it embarasses you to mention it to other people? Do you even mention it to other people? What do your friend and family think about it? What does your partner think about it, if you have one? Do you brazenly buy DVDs and Powerslam and don't give a fuck, or it a "stick it in the bag and hope no-one asks" job?

Discuss your feelings, you hideous social lepers.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't give a fuck. I've never been one to care about what people I don't know think of me. Not that I run around advertising that I'm a fan or anything, but it's not something that embarrasses me.

Most of my mates are fans, and my family just don't give a toss either.

I dress well, I'm in good shape, I've got plenty of mates, a good job and a decent social life. Watching wrestling on TV once a week and occasionally chatting shit about it anonymously on the internet doesn't really make a big difference to any of that.

I don't bring it up much in conversation around non-fans, but that's because I'm not an ignorant cunt. It's a guilty pleasure, sure, but everyone has those. I was on a stag do the other week and in the first bar a few of the lads spent five minutes whispering to each other about whether one of the girls in the bar was from Geordie Shore or not. Personally I'd be far more embarrassed to admit I watched a programme for thick lasses than one that's for kids.

• Paid Members

Ditto Cum Doctor. The only wrestling shirts I wear don't look like wrestling shirts, but I wouldn't be fussed if anyone took the piss. I always thought stuff like that says more bad things about the person doing it.

My missus thinks it's a bit daft, but I think some stuff she likes is a bit daft, so that's never an issue. My closest mates are a) a guy I went to primary school with who got me into wrestling and b) three guys I actually met off here, one of whom trained with me when I was training and is now working some shows. I have my sphere of friends who are into what I'm into, I have my missus and family who don't care if I like things they don't. Anyone getting grief for being a wrestling fan who can't get themselves out of the situation just needs to stop giving a fuck. There's nothing wrong with it, is there?

• Paid Members

ive been a fan since 1991 i'm 31 i work in entertainment and am pretty open about being a wrestling fan! ive hardly had anyone take the piss cause i like it!

ive had far more piss takes cause of my music Rockabilly (insert Billy Gunn joke here) than i ever have for being a wrestling fan.

Rule of thumb for me is don't bore people off who don't like it. don't worry about people thinking your gay nobody gives a shit, they probably watch soaps and reality tv so why care.

• Paid Members
Fun facts - this is the 157th incarnation of this thread and its first incarnation was created in 101BC by Carbombus.

Yep. Its the least interesting topic of discussion a wrestling forum can have. The thread depends on its first few posters. If someone replied "I watch it under the bed with the sound turned off and if anyone asks what I do on Monday nights, I say molesting children to get them off the scent", more people would own up about their fear of people ripping the arse out of them for liking wrestling.

• Paid Members

I'm all for people not caring what other people think about their interests, however wrestling will always be seen as a rather taboo subject. I recall thoroughly enjoying one of my mates saying to me very loudly "So I hear you went to America to watch wrestling" in front of a woman someone was trying to set me up with.

Long story short, I'll never deny being a fan, but there's a time and a place to bring it up. Most of those places aren't outside.

It's only a trashy TV show. I don't bring it up unless I'm around another wrestling fan.

At school, the people most likely to take the piss were obvious closet fans... People born in the mid-late 80s would namedrop the likes of Val Venis and Rikishi in their arguments against wrestling :laugh:

If I'm buying a copy of Power Slam in the newsagent, I always but a copy of 'Kiddy Fiddler Monthly' to hide it in.

Thankfully these days I get it delivered, which is good because it comes in a nice thick brown envelope that the postman can't see through.

I once more my 'MACHO MAN' T-Shirt to work, but one guy kept taking the piss because he thought it was a Village People T-Shirt - I didnt correct him, it probably worked out better that way..

Archived