Blame it on the videogames

JohnnyChimpo

• Paid Members

We all heard about the Colorado shooting in the cinema during a Batman movie, and people in the states (and over this side of the pond to a degree) have wheeled out the whole 'blame it all on violent videogames' approach.

Do you think games like Call of Duty (which seems to be the main one being discussed at the moment), Grand Theft Auto and the like are making people more inclined to go on a mad killing spree? Are the games making people lower their valuation of other people's lives? Or is it all just a load of poppycock? I mean; "I've been playing GTA since I was in my mothers womb, and I aint shot nobody, have I?"

Sorry if this discussion has been done to death, but I cant recall ever seeing one.

Well, violent video games are played more in Japan and it does not happen there.

In my opinion it is about gun control, after Colombine and other events in America new legislation should be put in place. Some cultures can be trusted to have guns, but America it seems cannot be trusted. What the reason for that is, is debatable.

People in America will always look for a scapegoat without much substance, Marilyn Manson was a strange choice for Colombine as the shooters did not even listen to him apparently. Video games is just another is a long list.

The shooter's favourite game was Guitar Hero. He never played COD or GTA, apparently.

Does Sega Bass Fishing make me want to go out to a river with a bait and rod? Does Football Manager make me form a Sunday League team to boss from the sidelines, clipboard in hand? Does Golden Balls for the DS make me mistrust people on the slightest of whims? No. Absolute pish.

This topic has been an annoyance of mine for a long time now.

Because a lot of people in the media either dont understand or dont play video games, its a soft target to them, especially the lefties.

Violent games have been around for decades now, I played an awful lot of the original Mortal Kombat game in my youth and back then that game was declared by some as pure evil and the work of the devil (back then you even had to get a code for the blood to work on the Megadrive version). Cant say its effected me or anyone I knew who played it in any negative way. The release of Carmageddon was a good one too, as was the likes of Doom and the GTA series.

Its an easy scape goat for people to throw shit at to blame for such events, sadly America never looks to blame itself or its gun laws or controls. The fact that since the shooting in Aurora, gun sales have gone much higher just shows the culture of 'if I have a gun, im safe, even though everone else is packing one'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18980974

If someone is fucked enough in the head that they are going to go on a shooting spree they are going to do it regardless of what they do in their past time (so long as they have access to such weapons, as is so easy in the states). In previous generations it was the punk movement that the media blamed for evils in society, then rap music and more recently TV, films and games. What the media doesnt do is look at how such people were brought up which is usually the reason why these things happen, these days you cant go pointing fingers at peoples parents can you, heaven forbid!

Because a lot of people in the media either dont understand or dont play video games, its a soft target to them, especially the lefties.

Both the right and the left are equally as guilty, don't forget the the Tories reign of terror during the video nasties era for example.

People did fucked up shit before these types of games were even thought of and they'll continue to do fucked up shit long after those type of games are obsolete.

It's a poor argument for people to make blaming violent computer games it's this decades version of "films like death wish and natural born killers etc are responsible for this violent crime" etc.

Making guns so fucking eaasy to get hold off could be a factor but at the end of the day ewch persons responsible for their own actions not a film or tv show or computer game.

Basically these people are fucking nutters and they would still be nutters regardless of what video games they played. Pretty much every red blooded young lad in the civilised world will be exposed to this sort of violent game these days and we probably get two decent high school massacres a year worldwide at best. These theories are just a bunch of knicker wetting do-gooder pussies trying to ruin other people

Both the right and the left are equally as guilty, don't forget the the Tories reign of terror during the video nasties era for example.

I would say most of the theories come from the right in good old conservative America.

Maybe in other countries the left is guilty.

Point taken :D

• Paid Members

I don't know what can be said that hasn't been said above. Videogames aren't the problem, they're just an excuse used by those not wanting to take responsibility. It's made out as though massacres and shootings emerged in the "video game era". I'd love to see them explain Hitler's genocide of the Jews.

"Well clearly, Mr Hitler had watched Borat: Cultural Learnings of America to Make Benefit Glorious Nations of Afghanistan the day before."

"Mister Hitler? That's what we're calling a mass-murdering lunatic now?!"

Videogames are as responsible for real-life shootings as steroids and schedules are for Benny Wah's kill frenzy. If they were completely to blame, everyone else who partakes in them would be going ape as well. Perhaps Call of Duty does in some way inspire a few maniacs, but it's a small price to pay for the entertainment value it gives millions of non-nutters who just want something to fill a few hours between drudgery and bed without having to think about the futility of the remorseless grind. It probably stops more shootings than it causes. "Down with this sort of thing" protests against media aren't an acceptable response to the odd murderous looper, in my opinion.

• Paid Members

I would say most of the theories come from the right in good old conservative America.

The irony there being that the bible contains more violence than any video game in history.

Archived