Blame it on the videogames

JohnnyChimpo

• Moderators
Well, violent video games are played more in Japan and it does not happen there.

In my opinion it is about gun control, after Colombine and other events in America new legislation should be put in place. Some cultures can be trusted to have guns, but America it seems cannot be trusted. What the reason for that is, is debatable.

Which are the countries that 'can be trusted to have guns'? I don't think there's anywhere else that has a gun culture like the USA so it's a difficult comparison to make.

But your statement is not as outrageous as I originally thought it to be when I first read it. For example, because of the drinking culture in the UK (and the acting-like-a-cunt-when-you're-drunk culture) I don't think all night drinking would ever really be appropriate here, despite the fact that it can be seen to be pretty harmless in other more civilised European countries.

Because a lot of people in the media either dont understand or dont play video games, its a soft target to them, especially the lefties.

Both the right and the left are equally as guilty, don't forget the the Tories reign of terror during the video nasties era for example.

Examples of the lefties using this as a soft target please.

No, computer games are not to blame for this sort of thing, social relations, mental state and other psychological and mental health problems amongst other stimuli and causes will result in some one flipping out

New(ish) thing, gets punished and singled out because, people don't do it or don't really understand what it is about and then use it as a scapegoat because it is easy to when looking for something to blame.

Nothing ever changes. One year it's Black Metal, Death Metal or some other form of music, next its computer and video games. Next it will be microwaves from cell phones and so on. I suspect if you went far enough TV could get the blame for something of that ilk or corrupting youth, and going even further back Red Flags in front of cars because the shock and potential dangers..

If there is something new, you can be sure that some one will be scared of it and go ape about it should something go wrong and their be links to it no matter how tenuous, if there are any at all.

• Paid Members
Because a lot of people in the media either dont understand or dont play video games, its a soft target to them, especially the lefties.

Both the right and the left are equally as guilty, don't forget the the Tories reign of terror during the video nasties era for example.

Indeed, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered a campaign of censorship on a par with the Video Recordings Act under the last Labour government.

Indeed, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered a campaign of censorship on a par with the Video Recordings Act under the last Labour government.

I did say point taken on what I said earlier and yes both right and left have had anti-gaming stances, however one example from the left (albeit a small one):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Vaz#Cam...o_game_violence

http://gamepolitics.com/2011/05/20/uk-labo...nti-game-agenda

Well, violent video games are played more in Japan and it does not happen there.

In my opinion it is about gun control, after Colombine and other events in America new legislation should be put in place. Some cultures can be trusted to have guns, but America it seems cannot be trusted. What the reason for that is, is debatable.

Which are the countries that 'can be trusted to have guns'? I don't think there's anywhere else that has a gun culture like the USA so it's a difficult comparison to make.

But your statement is not as outrageous as I originally thought it to be when I first read it. For example, because of the drinking culture in the UK (and the acting-like-a-cunt-when-you're-drunk culture) I don't think all night drinking would ever really be appropriate here, despite the fact that it can be seen to be pretty harmless in other more civilised European countries.

Canada has a massive hunting culture and their gun crimes are fairly low.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/gun-crimes/index.html

Look at how few homicides there are with guns as recently as 2009, less than 200. With a license and permit the guns that were used in the Colorado shooting could be legally purchased in Canada.

If you read here - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/0...uns-canada.html

There are millions of the same guns used in Colorado in possesion of Canadians. The reason is unclear why Canadians can be trusted more is debatable, but one thing is clear they had access to video games, music and films like Americans do.

According to the Guardian in 2010 gun crimes in America was 8,775. Now America is still 10 times the size the Canada, but the amounts are still around for every one gun crime in Canada there are four in America if you take the average score.

Simple question. The answer is no.

My boys played GTA since he was just out of nappies. I'm please to say he's yet to kill any hoes.

That damn televsion though and those fucking hollywood blockbusters on the other hand.....

My boys played GTA since he was just out of nappies. I'm please to say he's yet to kill any hoes.

If he does, it's a case where it can definitely be blamed on the parents. Or it could be a frame-up by the Bilderbergians.

I find that to be incredibly irresponsible. The nature and content of the game is completely inappropriate for a young child (whether you believe it will influence them or not). There's a certain amount of judgement to be had from parents as to whether you believe that a film/game/music can have a bad influence on there child. For example my son is 15 and I now allow him to watch some 18 rated films, but I'm not going to let him loose on them all. It's all about the content. You must realise that the content of GTA is not for a childs eyes, especially as young as you are implying yours are.

To me that's no worse than those parents who swear in front of and at there children, and yet those same kids get a smack round the head when they swear back.

my dad let me play the first ever gta when it came out i was 11 and let me play the resident evil games from that age and there has never been a problem was allowed to watch robocop 2 when i was 8 with my dad and theres never been a problem with me wanting to go out on a rampage.

hell my step daughter who is 13 can stand a 18 horror film more than me as she was watching them from age 8 and same goes for my other two teenage step daughters.

now i am probably going to get a "will someone think of the children" reply off some people but i do draw the line at letting them be exposed to alcohol and cigs also al snow matches (sorry had to be done) and also the god awful human centepeide films which can only be described as snuff.

My Dad let me play the first ever GTA when it came out. I was 11, and he let me play the Resident Evil games also from that age and there has never been a problem. I was allowed to watch Robocop 2 when I was 8 with my Dad and there has never been a problem with me wanting to go out on a rampage.

Hell my Step Daughter who is 13 can stand an 18 rated horror film more than me as she was watching them from age 8. And the same goes for my other two teenage Step Daughters.

Now I am probably going to get a "will someone think of the children" reply off some people, but I do draw the line at letting them be exposed to alcohol and cigs. And Al Snow matches lol (sorry had to be done). And also the God awful Human Centipede films which can only be described as snuff.

Jim. You need to spend more time studying and less time watching classic 80's Action/Sci Fi films and playing computer games. The above is a disgrace.

F

SEE ME!

• Paid Members

Times were strange when I was a child in the late 80s/early 90s. Everyone at our Infants school talked about that scene in Robocop where they blew Murphy's hand off. We had the figures of Robocop as well, so it wasn't like this was kids watching behind parents backs. They were films kids watched and also had a toyline. This can't have just been our school (although, things are quite backward in the North East at times). It seemed like violent late 80s films were the thing you made children watch to stop them getting bored. Terminator, Rab C Nesbitt and some Patrick Swayze film where he had a snake were videos me and my brother watched over and over.

Saying that, there's no fucking way I'd watch anything like this with my young niece.

Archived