The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Hang on, Gunnar Nelson was fighting at Middleweight?

nah he was fighting Dong Hyun Kim at 170

Gunnar Nelson is injured and out of his fight with Hall. Mousasi steps in to replace him in the main event for Fight Night Belfast

Gunnar Nelson is injured and out of his fight with Hall. Mousasi steps in to replace him in the main event for Fight Night Belfast

Not to be a dick but I think that news was broken a few days ago. I like both Nelson Vs Hall and Mousasi Vs Hall to be honest. There's nobody higher ranked for Mousasi to really fight and he wants to keep busy. Hall makes sense because it gives him chance to avenge a recent (freak!?) loss.

out of his fight with Dong Hyun Kim*

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bisping is a nutcase, yet makes perfect sense. It's the biggest payday of his life, and at this stage in his career, it's perhaps the only time the fight has ever been possible. 

It's now or never really for this fight.

Without it, that 206 card is fucking shambolic. I love the main event, but the rest is dire.

• Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson – for light heavyweight title
  • Poliana Botelho vs. Valerie Letourneau
  • Zach Makovsky vs. John Moraga
  • John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
  • Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
  • Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo
  • Misha Cirkunov vs. Nikita Krylov
  • Dooho Choi vs. Cub Swanson
  • Li Jingliang vs. Chad Laprise
  • Emil Meek vs. Jordan Mein

• Paid Members

I really hope it comes off for him. The result is almost not important to be honest, it'll feel like a win for Bisping no matter what the outcome is.

My major concern for this what the hell happens if GSP wins? Half of me thinks for his own health he needs to lose. Surely he wouldn't contemplate fighting Rockhold, Romero, Jacare or Weidman? The size difference is monstrous and whilst Bisping is bigger than GSP, he's not huge like those 4 and he's certainly not as deadly a fighter.  

• Paid Members

I really hope it comes off for him. The result is almost not important to be honest, it'll feel like a win for Bisping no matter what the outcome is.

My major concern for this what the hell happens if GSP wins? Half of me thinks for his own health he needs to lose. Surely he wouldn't contemplate fighting Rockhold, Romero, Jacare or Weidman? The size difference is monstrous and whilst Bisping is bigger than GSP, he's not huge like those 4 and he's certainly not as deadly a fighter.

Put the middleweight belt on ice for a couple of months so that he can challenge the Welterweight champion. Then he could vacate the Middleweight belt (if he won it from Bisping, and if he was to win the welterweight title).

• Paid Members

If Conor beat Alvarez & GSP beat Bisping and GSP has said he could make 155, that would be the biggest fight in the history of the game, so highly unlikely.

With the amount of profit they need to make that should be where they try and direct things, if looking at it as a financial necessity. It would certainly cause a bit of trouble between mixed divisions and disruption around the title picture for 4 divisions though.

It's bound to be coming time though on GSP being a possibility to fight on the Toronto card. It's very late in the day to try and negotiate it now, as the last thing they or George would want to do is have him ill prepared and then come back and lose with that being a viable reason for a loss.

Bisping is a nutcase, yet makes perfect sense. It's the biggest payday of his life, and at this stage in his career, it's perhaps the only time the fight has ever been possible. 

It's now or never really for this fight.

Without it, that 206 card is fucking shambolic. I love the main event, but the rest is dire.

• Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson – for light heavyweight title
  • Poliana Botelho vs. Valerie Letourneau
  • Zach Makovsky vs. John Moraga
  • John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
  • Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
  • Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo
  • Misha Cirkunov vs. Nikita Krylov
  • Dooho Choi vs. Cub Swanson
  • Li Jingliang vs. Chad Laprise
  • Emil Meek vs. Jordan Mein

Holy shit, that's bad. I like to think I know my UFC pretty well, but looking at that list of fights I'm seeing several fighters I only know of by name, unable to recall what they look like or what fights they've had, and others that I've just never fucking heard of. A PPV card should never be like that.

I know they've loaded up 205 and 207, so this one being weaker would make a bit of sense, but all the same, they have a massive roster. IMO, every PPV card should have 3 fights with name fighters- champs, top 15 contenders, or otherwise having name recognition (i.e. BJ Penn or Nick Diaz returning).

After DC vs Rumble, the next biggest fight is Doohoo Choi vs. Cub Swanson. I love both those fights, but come on!

That card looks especially bad in the wake of the current climate.

This year we have had mega cards like UFC 199, UFC 200, UFC 203 and UFC 205. Even cards that have been less stacked such as UFC 202 and UFC 204 have featured blockbuster Main Events, which have carried the entire card. D.C vs Rumble 2 is a compelling fight - and one that I will go out of my way to see - but it's not the sort of fight that can carry an entire PPV card on its back. 

Archived