The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

i think that's how it needs to be though, it's also when boxing is at it's best, just give the fans what they want to see. If everything falls in line and you get the legit top two guys in there fighting for the belt it's just a bonus, but primarily prize fighting is giving the fans what they want to see and selling tickets. Bisping/Henderson being the perfect example.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think that's how it needs to be though, it's also when boxing is at it's best, just give the fans what they want to see. If everything falls in line and you get the legit top two guys in there fighting for the belt it's just a bonus, but primarily prize fighting is giving the fans what they want to see and selling tickets. Bisping/Henderson being the perfect example.

That's all well & good, but in that case why not just do away with World titles? The supposed role of a world title is to show who the very best in the world at any given weight is, isn't it? Replace them with PPV draw titles, Hardcore trashtalk championships or something more apt. 

My own views (and I've said it before) are that title fights should be reserved for the very best in each division at any given time. Outwith that though? Anything goes, and I'm as guilty of enjoying a Ken Shamrock vs Royce Gracie fight as the next guy.

For example, this fight tonight is going to be an entertaining watch, but most of the time I forget it's actually for the belt. Simply because Henderson deserves to be nowhere near the title at this point. It's an exhibition fight featuring the guy who happens to hold a title at the moment.

If & when Bisping dispatches old man Dan into retirement we'll hopefully see an actual title fight where he faces someone like Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare etc.

C'mon Dave, we've been through this one before. The Hendo fight is purely a matter of circumstance.

When the event was being booked: Bisping had just KO'ed Rockhold, Jacare was having surgery, Weidman himself said he didn't think he'd be fit for the MSG show the month after and Romero was still suspended.

• Paid Members

To be fair the UFC title is usually defended between the top guy and someone who is very much deserving. Fighters do get passed over from time to time, but usually they do a pretty good job.

C'mon Dave, we've been through this one before. The Hendo fight is purely a matter of circumstance.

When the event was being booked: Bisping had just KO'ed Rockhold, Jacare was having surgery, Weidman himself said he didn't think he'd be fit for the MSG show the month after and Romero was still suspended.

I'm not saying the Hendo fight isn't the only one they could make, I'm just saying that I find it hard to look at it as a genuine world title fight is all.

Do the UFC release information about how many subscribers they have to Fight Pass?

They don't release PPV numbers either, that's usually Meltzer, they mention some rough estimate. Dana said the Conor in Ireland fight was the most watched Fight Pass card at the time but I'm guessing Bisping-Anderson has probably surpassed it as the service has gotten bigger.

• Paid Members

Bit strange that. Who does that leave Miocic defending against? I can only really think of a rematch with JDS. I was sure Cain would be next in line. In fact, that's what I'd have done - Miocic vs Cain for the title with JDS vs Werdum 2 as co-main incase one of the main eventers gets hurt (you know what Cain's like). That seems more logical to me. Maybe Stipe's injured?

Regardless, it's an interesting rematch. When Cain vs Werdum 2 was originally set for February I was fascinated by how it'd go a second time around. It might be even more interesting now with Werdum since losing the title and both men trouncing Travis Browne in different ways.

Jones was saying he was up for taking on Stipe, if he gets his suspension lifted. He may now realise how shit can change and he could have been out for two years and the year he was out because of the court cases and he wants to build up his legacy more, rather than waiting a few years before moving up.

Winklejohn and the Jackson camp probably want that win back as well and probably think Jones would do a better job than Overeem.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying the Hendo fight isn't the only one they could make, I'm just saying that I find it hard to look at it as a genuine world title fight is all.

To make it a real sport what should they do then? Keep the champion rested until the real number 1 contender is available?

Archived