The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He was asked the same question at the 205 presser and answered with a smile and "... Not even close" At that point I assumed he was saying Conor was the bigger draw.

It's got to be Conor at this point, surely?

Sounds like Dana trying to get back some leverage/ Kick back at Conor to me.

Ronda has a much bigger following on Facebook and Twitter. It's possible that Rousey is slightly more famous than McGregor. Although social media trends can be very misleading.

McGregor is the outright PPV King. In terms of the paying public, I would say that McGregor is the bigger star.

Edit: From what I experience in the real world, I would also give the edge to McGregor. 

• Paid Members

I think it's difficult to give a true answer.

As a ppv draw there's no doubt, Mcgregor is on another level.

Yet as mentioned above Rousey perhaps is more famous.

I would personally say Mcgregor is far more valuable to the UFC than Rousey.

As with Jim above, Mcgregor, at least over here, gets far more column inches than Rousey.

• Paid Members

Sounds like Dana trying to get back some leverage/ Kick back at Conor to me.

Yeah, Dana's got form for that. Remember when he'd always try to hype up someone else other than Jon Jones as the P4P King? That was fine when you had Anderson and GSP at their pomp but he was trying to position both Mighty Mouse and Renan Barao above Jones at various points as well. Great fighters but it smacked of Dana having a little dig at Jones due to what seems like a frosty relationship behind the scenes. This seems like sort of a similar thing to me. No doubt Ronda's a huge star (although that might've taken a dent with the loss and massive layoff since) but I think even McGregor's biggest critics would admit he's the top attraction in MMA these days.

As with Jim above, Mcgregor, at least over here, gets far more column inches than Rousey.

Ronda would get my column inches over Conor. Just.

Ronda, was just in the 50 most influential people in sports by so called experts, Dana White was number 13 (Ronda was 50) Ari Emanuel was in the middle(he represents several athletes and is the UFC CEO as well as some bull fighting thing, no footballers I seen were in it, so it will just be an American poll.

Conor wasn't ranked, there's a long interview with Dana White from Hot 97 and the only time the woman there speaks is about Ronda and what she's done for women in sports, especially combat sports to be compared equally to men is insane, Dana also mentioned the backlash they got when they put Ronda over Dan Henderson & Lyoto Machida, which now seems laughable.

Jimmy Kimmel & Conan O'Brien are both celebrity owners, so they will most likely be pushing the UFC more.

• Paid Members

Josh Samman has passed away :(

That's horrible news.

After he came through that tough period in his life, I honestly thought he was on the straight and narrow. On top of that he was a very good writer for bloodyelbow.com. I've yet to read his book but from what I've heard it's a good read.

From what I can gather, there seems to be a mystery surrounding the whole thing. There was another guy found dead on the scene and the rumours suggested Heroin. However his mother has come out saying no traces of the drug were found in his system, and no foul play was involved. The fact both guys died is certainly bizarre. 

Archived