RQW returns, asks for money

Big Benny HG

Funny thing is am a big follower of the uk scene and was thinking of putting down the $100 to get all the tv shows as im a huge brit wres fan i own 230 shows on dvd. But after the way len spoke im prob not going to bother now why disrespect a whole set of fans :angry:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In any other industry, small-time promoters slagging off potential fanbases like that would be treated like a complete joke.

This should be no different. It's no wonder continuing to exist at a small level is seen as a massive fucking achievement in British wrestling.

Appeals like the one Len is starting, aren't meant for the average Joe on the street. Its the internet mug, who will pay to see a lot of British wrestling events. I doubt a young lad going to All Star to buy a Rey Mysterio mask is plumping a few quid Len's way to get RQW back off the ground. Nobody but a few people know what RQW is. Len isn't bringing ECW back from the dead. Its RQW. 200 people and a bloke with a carrier bag next to his feet know what RQW is. Len's appeal is to drag money out of forums like this. In other words, the only people who are willing to pay to get RQW back are people who follow wrestling more than they really should. Only 'sad bastards' would help RQW get back off the ground. If it wasn't for 'sad bastards' there would be no RQW, there would be no Alex Shane, there wouldn't be a TNA or a ROH. So the next time you slag off your audience, remember they are also the loyalist fans around. If wrestling fans disappeared and (shock, horror) got lives, then there would be WWE and TNA left, and nobody would go and see skinny lads in kickpads doing RVD and Jerry Lynn matches at the York Hall anymore. Quality control is put on hold when watching British Wrestling, because wrestling fans are loyal to a fault. They will put shit to the back of their mind and enjoy it.

Mark Sloan is a testament to this. He brings over Japanese and Indy workers. He doesn't say "lol sad bastards wanting to see these chinkies". No he targets an audience and respects them, and they respect him back. Nobody on here slags Sloan off. Maybe the likes of Ricky Knight, Alex Shane and Danny Rodd need to look and see why people call them on their shit and reply in kind instead of burying the audience they are supposed to be targeting.

Buddy i have no problem with fans WAW fans are some of the loyalist around they follow us everywhere, many train at my Gym come to our awards nights etc, we are very fan friendly, i have not got a problem with most on here, my ma died thursday the messages i have had from fans including the ukff has been fantastic and humbling, my argument is the tiny few who shit on peoples parades to make a smart remark to get brownie points with other forum members is just stupid and to me whatever Lens faults the mans heart has always been in the right place.

• Paid Members
Britwres is weird to be honest. I don't think there's many other industries where many of the providers of a service has such base disrespect for their customers.

It's not weird - it's because it isn't an actual industry. You may as well be talking about Amateur Dramatics for the most part, because the success stories are only ever local.

Seeing a bunch of promoters completely writing off a major part of their fanbase like that pisses me off hugely. It pisses me off for ever having thought that there was a burgeoning professional wrestling industry in this country. But the word that's missing is 'professional'. It's not. It's a hobby that occasionally makes money.

As wrestlers go, there are plenty in this country that are (and could be) professional. Far too often, it's the promoters that are the problem. Sure, there are good ones, but they're outnumbered by idiots like this lot, who are pissing away the opportunity to actually start a business with bullshit attitudes towards potential customers.

This thread can only end in tears.

Nothing ever comes good of someone trying to defend themselves/their ventures in a thread.

Nothing ever comes good of someone trying to defend themselves/their ventures in a thread.

I should do the Lottery more often.

Britwres is weird to be honest. I don't think there's many other industries where many of the providers of a service has such base disrespect for their customers.

It's not weird - it's because it isn't an actual industry. You may as well be talking about Amateur Dramatics for the most part, because the success stories are only ever local.

Seeing a bunch of promoters completely writing off a major part of their fanbase like that pisses me off hugely. It pisses me off for ever having thought that there was a burgeoning professional wrestling industry in this country. But the word that's missing is 'professional'. It's not. It's a hobby that occasionally makes money.

As wrestlers go, there are plenty in this country that are (and could be) professional. Far too often, it's the promoters that are the problem. Sure, there are good ones, but they're outnumbered by idiots like this lot, who are pissing away the opportunity to actually start a business with bullshit attitudes towards potential customers.

Buddy you overate the importance of forums like this, i had a sell out show the other night in Norwich i was lucky if ten were from the net, btw i am grateful to that ten but the rest was by old fashion footwork door to door leafleting, postering and a local paper ad. I have run a fulltime promotion for 18 yrs so must be doing something right and must have some rapport with our fans who keep coming back second and third generations.

• Paid Members
Buddy you overate the importance of forums like this, i had a sell out show the other night in Norwich i was lucky if ten were from the net, btw i am grateful to that ten but the rest was by old fashion footwork door to door leafleting, postering and a local paper ad. I have run a fulltime promotion for 18 yrs so must be doing something right and must have some rapport with our fans who keep coming back second and third generations.

There's a difference between 'something right' and 'nothing wrong'.

I've worked in sales. I've worked in promotions. I've known people who were successful in both, and I've never known anyone who will slag off any potential customer base on the basis that 'they must be doing something right'. I've certainly never known anyone involved in anything like that who would slag off a free resource to reach potential new customers in a niche product.

I'm not saying this is the major resource for individual shows. It isn't. But look at the amount of people who are into wrestling, and think about how many of them would be interested in spending money if they can be persuaded. And then look at how much promoters talking about people on here in that way has pissed people off who obviously spend money on wrestling on a regular basis.

I've spent way more on wrestling than I should have, both in time and money. Way more. And seeing three established promoters slagging off a fanbase that I'm a part of has just made me more reluctant to spend more money on British wrestling. And if I'm feeling that way, I'm more than likely not the only one. That's why it's a big deal. Not necessarily for you. Not necessarily for your individual shows. But it's symptomatic of a broken attitude towards potential new fans, which seems to be rife within British wrestling.

This isn't a thing against you personally. And I may have held back on my last post if I'd seen yours, which was posted a minute beforehand, as I am also sorry to hear about your mother. I'm not looking for an argument or a fight on this. I just really, really think that there's something here that you (and others) should be bearing in mind on a professional basis.

There's a difference between 'something right' and 'nothing wrong'.

I've worked in sales. I've worked in promotions. I've known people who were successful in both, and I've never known anyone who will slag off any potential customer base on the basis that 'they must be doing something right'. I've certainly never known anyone involved in anything like that who would slag off a free resource to reach potential new customers in a niche product.

I'm not saying this is the major resource for individual shows. It isn't. But look at the amount of people who are into wrestling, and think about how many of them would be interested in spending money if they can be persuaded. And then look at how much promoters talking about people on here in that way has pissed people off who obviously spend money on wrestling on a regular basis.

I've spent way more on wrestling than I should have, both in time and money. Way more. And seeing three established promoters slagging off a fanbase that I'm a part of has just made me more reluctant to spend more money on British wrestling. And if I'm feeling that way, I'm more than likely not the only one. That's why it's a big deal. Not necessarily for you. Not necessarily for your individual shows. But it's symptomatic of a broken attitude towards potential new fans, which seems to be rife within British wrestling.

This isn't a thing against you personally. And I may have held back on my last post if I'd seen yours, which was posted a minute beforehand, as I am also sorry to hear about your mother. I'm not looking for an argument or a fight on this. I just really, really think that there's something here that you (and others) should be bearing in mind on a professional basis.

Buddy i am not looking for a row either as i keep saying there is some upright people on here, just annoyed Len has got so much stick, when to my knowledge he has never bad mouthed on here, knocked anyone in the industry, always paid his way, as i said paid my wife through injury decides at a late age he was to pursue an acting career, did not do Buster Merryfield any harm. Believe me Len is not one of the bad guys. If i am missing something here i would be glad to be told what it is.

Archived