The ZX Spectrum 30th Anniversary Official Nostalgia Thread

Loki

Small local videogame shops were the business, and it'd be great if the imminent demise of Game were to lead to a resurgence. They were hobby shops, rather than product supermarkets. I used to love seeing the import Nintendo/Sega games behind the counter that nobody had ever heard of, or the Virtua Boy in pride of place. Plus I got to know the chap who ran one in Bournemouth quite well, and he'd lend you games out which was skill.

Even earlier there was a tiny shop in Wimborne in Dorset that was the closest shop and I remember the shelves filled with Spectrum/C64/BBC tapes. The covers for those things are, all nostalgia aside, massively better than modern game cover, and half the excitement of buying a game was how cool the cover looked.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

10773769.jpg

This is still open in Worcester Park high street, it's more hardware based these days though. I spent many hours looking at Master System games, wishing I had money to buy any, and wishing I had a Megadrive instead.

• Paid Members

The Likely Lads on Stockport Road in Levenshulme was where I spent all my pocket money on games. The shop's still there, but not the games. They crammed loads of games for loads of systems in that little shop, too.

We had a cracking independent store in Aberdeen called Holburn Software, always had a great selection of Spectrum, c64 and early PC games. Eventually like most places it switched to hardware only before closing down some time in the mid 90s. Virgin Megastore had a ZX section when it first opened too here but it again didn't last long.

I miss those days, it's also jogged my memory of when Game first opened here in the early 90s and just being in wonderment at this huge store completely devoted to video games. If memory serves it was after the Speccy days but again, fond memories.

• Moderators

Used to buy my games (always budget, never premium) from John Menzies. Took a few weeks to save up the pocket money, and always desperately hoping that Outrun would fall into the budget category. Luckily my brother started working as a paperboy and with his mega money ended up buying it. The packaging alone was immense coming from a land of nothing but budget games.

I have actually legitimately completed Manic Miner, on an emulator, about 4 years ago. I did need an infinite life cheat, but I got all the way to the last cavern. The Solar Power Generator has to be the most fiendish challenge in all videogames, apart possibly from The Banyan Tree.

I have yet to encounter someone that legitimately completed Jet Set Willy without cheating. That game is a right bastard to complete.

I have actually legitimately completed Manic Miner, on an emulator, about 4 years ago. I did need an infinite life cheat, but I got all the way to the last cavern. The Solar Power Generator has to be the most fiendish challenge in all videogames, apart possibly from The Banyan Tree.

I have yet to encounter someone that legitimately completed Jet Set Willy without cheating. That game is a right bastard to complete.

Nobody ever has. There was a bug in the original code which meant that one of the collectables was invisible and inside a wall, and I think another one was fatal on touch. Also, the Banyan Tree. So the only people I've heard of who got all the way to the ending did so by:

- fixing the code

- using the WRITETYPER cheat code to get teleport

- infinite lives

My dad brought one home when i was about 8...we were in awe of this wee black keyboard thingy with the silver tape deck attached by some wires..and after waiting very impatiently for ten minutes, AIRWOLF was finally loaded. Only for us to repeatedly hit that 'fn wall and never make it past the third level or so. And Rambo First Blood Part 2....took easily 15 mins to load, then we kept dying near the end. Never did complete it. Good times though. Until my Sega Master System appeared a few Christmases later :)

I have a vague memories of reading in a magazine years ago that both Airwolf & Rambo where impossible to finish. I can only just remember playing Airwolf - I can remember getting stuck somewhere & never playing it again (however this may have just me being shit at it).

However, I do have vivid memories of Rambo crashing on me at the same point several times (you had to have collected all of the weapons & get to the Russian helicopter - the game crashed whenever you shot the helicopter with the rocket launcher).

Damn this thread brings back some great memories. My first computer was a 48k, then I moved on to the 128k (the first one, without the tape recorder attached) which I thought was the absolute mutts nuts. Loads of my mates had Spectrums, and I ended up with hundreds of copy games.

My favourite games were Contact Sam Cruise, The Wild Bunch, Gunfright, Barbarian, Skool Daze / Back to Skool and Renegade.

Fuck all this Xbox malarky, give me Chuckie Egg any day!

Now, listen chaps, I need a favour.

About 6 months ago my laptop died and we bought another. One of the things I lost was my entire collection of spectrum games. Since I put the collection together, a lot of the more famous titles have been removed from WorldOfSpectrum due to copyright issues.

So would a kind soul with a vast spectrum games collection put it in a zip and stick it online somewhere for me? I'm using Fuse, which can run .tap, .sna and .tzx.

Archived