The ZX Spectrum 30th Anniversary Official Nostalgia Thread

Loki

• Paid Members

Good arrows Loki. :thumbsup:

All I've seen all day is wankers on Twitter going on about how the C64 was better.

I wasn't lucky enough to have a 48k Speccy and had to wait for the 128k with the built in tape deck.

Colin The Cleaner still is one of my favourite games ever. :love:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I had a 48k+, and a C64... fuck that C64 mess, the Speccy was acres better. This thread makes me want to cry. I mean, did you ever feel like you've had yours? I yearn for a time where Wham bars and Tizer were still available, and Vesta curries were on supermarket shelves. Where there were only 3 and a half channels, and Wogan was still alive. A time before jeans, and even fabric. I want all of my entertainment in black and white, especially the snooker. And if not, I'm going to off myself, drown myself in a bucket of homemade Marsh's Sass. It'll be really sad, you should all come to my funeral. Wear denim jackets with big Slayer patches on the back. Don't arrive in vehicles newer than 1980.

• Moderators

back_to_skool_daze-0.4.png

Current gen remake please.

Nothing takes me back to my childhood like the Spectrum. The strongest nostalgic feeling in the world for me is looking at the covers of old Speccy magazines; Your Sinclair (the king), Sinclair User, and Crash, and the giddy thrill of the wonders contained in the cassette sellotaped to the front. And man, those super special Christmas issues, where all three would have double cassettes - sometimes two double cassettes - just packed with stuff, and you knew your Christmas holidays were fucking made.

The very first videogame I ever played was on my cousins' 48k. Ant Attack. My young mind was blown by the question at the beginning where it asked if you were a boy or a girl, which changed the character you played as. Wild interaction!

946767952.png

• Paid Members

I loved the fact that you could get a tape, with the inlay all marked up for starting times, with so many bootlegged games on it.

Also loved Crash - I think I marked where I knew that I was an adult when I realized that my Crash 1988 Christmas special was 10 years old, and I was at university.

I have immense love for the speccy, seemed like most of the kids in my class had them with the few c64 owners made to feel like the outcasts they rightfully were. Splitting Images (later renamed Split Personalities because of the naming similarity to the TV show Spitting Image, which itself had an awesome fighting game out in it's own right) was demonicly hard, I remember feeling like a total boss when I finally completed the last level. Other games that get me misty-eyed were Jack the Nipper 2, Auf Wiedersen Monty, Everyone's a Wally (With free single of the theme song on the other side of the tape), Manic Miner, Nebulus, Uridium, Horace Goes Skiing, Finders Keepers, Ant Attack, Multi-player Soccer Manager (awesomely overlooked game), Formula One (great F1 game where you ran the team and the pitcrew rather than be a driver), Renegade, Operation Wolf and Joe Blade II.

The code was easy to get into, I used to lose nights typing in the code you got free in certain magazines to create some simple games at the behest of my homework.

The little machine was simply awesome, it even got a pretty decent (although scaled back to half the characters) version of Street Fighter II for one of the later versions back in the day which shows the talent of the programmers out there for it.

used to buy (or get bought for me by my mum) CRASH magazine and Your Sinclair, my mate once got a rotten game he'd made into their "Crap game of the month" section of one of the mags for which he was extremely chuffed.

Sadly the reliability of the machine means that there are now fewer and fewer working models out there for nostalgic 30 and 40 somethings to root out now, but thankfully it lives strong in emulation.

I think I need to go have a cry now, or maybe a wank. Both probably.

• Moderators
back_to_skool_daze-0.4.png

Current gen remake please.

Astro, you may want to check out 'Klass of 99' which is a Skool Daze remake for the PC from around 1999.

I have played that, and as awesome as it was, I want a full sandbox GTA-meets-Grange-Hill thing, where I'm doing lessons with a frog in my pocket, and getting my head flushed down the terlet.

Astro, you may want to check out 'Klass of 99' which is a Skool Daze remake for the PC from around 1999.

I have played that, and as awesome as it was, I want a full sandbox GTA-meets-Grange-Hill thing, where I'm doing lessons with a frog in my pocket, and getting my head flushed down the terlet.

It would be amazing, but Bully exists and that's as close as we're likely to get unless someone with more money than sense sets up a vanity project to make the same game set in an 80s comprehensive. (But yes, I agree it would be awesome. I'd list Skool Daze as one of my favourites if I hadn't been so shite at it).

• Paid Members

I broke Bombjack, when I was about 6 - I got so many extra lives that it went nuts, and started disregarding deaths - I went downstairs for tea, and when I came back upstairs I was still on, despite probably losing hundreds of lives in the meantime. My parents were always thwarting my successes like that - I got a monster pinball score, had 27 extra balls still to play with, and they made me come in for tea (I was in Ingoldmells).

Astro, you want to be getting a copy of Bully then! That's exactly what you're describing.

Spot on about the joy of cover tapes. In those days you'd get a whole game, or two! I remember realising the Speccy's days were finally numbered when a game I'd wanted for ages, Sabre Wulf, was free on the cover of Sinclair User.

Some of my favourite games were random ones that appeared on cover tapes, or those 5th-hand copied c90s you'd get from a mate with about 12 games on. You'd play them for day, hours and hours exploring isometric worlds. There was one where you controlled this tripod-type craft that strode across an isometric landscape, blowing up other tripods and tanks and the like, but I've never been able to remember the name, or track down a copy. I particularly remember you could only walk across fields in the direction of the furrows, which was strange. It was on a SU cover tape in the late 80s.

I don't think there's a game in existence that I've spend more hours playing than Bard's Tale, apart possibly from Frontier. Bard's Tale was SO hard and yet so addictive. I remember being genuinely scared as we crawled around those dungeons, the simple graphics and slow pace were so evocative.

Fair does, Skool Daze seems to get ported to different systems quite often. Last version I played was on the Oric at Replay last year, but as for remakes there is a bunch of stuff online that people have started and never finished. As for Sandbox style.. Bully/Canis Canem Edit gets mentioned alot. Ive never played it so no idea if is similar.

• Moderators
Astro, you want to be getting a copy of Bully then! That's exactly what you're describing.

Nah, not quite. Bully was great, but more of an American culture take on that thing. Like Midas suggests, I want a 1986 British comprehensive setting, where you hear a Mr. Bronson style "YOU BOY!" booming at you when you get caught running in the hallway.

Aside from that, it's a shame that technological advances, and the demands of the 2012 gamer, have rendered the beautiful simplicity of the Dizzy type of games obsolete. I bet we'd all be as thick as shit without the critical thinking skills we learned cycling through various items and trying to give them to trolls or crocodiles or other eggs.

dizzy2.jpg

I know people always talk about games like Head Over Heels, but I never really got into those games, the jump-one-block type isometric games. Especially when you had games like Spindizzy that were wickedly fast.

112190-spindizzy-zx-spectrum-screenshot-title-screens.png

Also sadly lost to games now are loading screens. They were great at setting the scene and tone for a game even before it loaded, so that your imagination had something to kick off once you got into the game.

84905-r-type-zx-spectrum-screenshot-loading-screens.png

You'd sometimes eve get little Asteroids type games you could play WHILST THE GAME LOADED! Awesome. Playing on emulators, you miss all that.

Archived