The ZX Spectrum 30th Anniversary Official Nostalgia Thread

Loki

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I too was in the ZX Spectrum camp, getting the 48k ZX Spectrum+ (with it's super ergonomically sculpted plastic keys) for Christmas 1984 with the Bally Midway Collection (Spy Hunter, Zaxxon, Tapper and Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom).

What I like about the starter tape, was that you could redesign the characters for the Maze Chase game (I tended to change them to a Recognizer and a Light Cycle from Tron), and if you pressed BREAK, you could access the code for the program and change the text to include swearing.

I was a reader of Sinclair User, and loved the constant digs at Crash and Your Sinclair that its pages were stuffed to the gills with. Back when I was 12/13, editor Jim Douglas was one of the coolest people in my world. I also won this Ghostbusters II T-shirt courtesy of Sinclair User, so they pretty much got lifelong loyalty from me.

297555_2560569104104_1550348259_32678224_1541619357_n.jpg

I would join in the Manic Miner pissing contest, but my most recent efforts at Replay saw me get no further than level 3. I have completed Fantasy World Dizzy without cheats though.

Also, because I was still a massive nerd back in 2006.

mpw_spectrum_dvd_cover-preview.jpg

I yearn for a time where Wham bars and Tizer were still available

I still have both of these on a regular basis.

I remember playing spectrum at my mates when I was about 5, he had a few star wars game, a superman game that was like pac man amongst others. Im pretty sure he had Double Dragon, and Operation wolf too. before my time, but respect, if i had been on he go throughout the 80s Im sure it would have been my console of choice.

My dad brought one home when i was about 8...we were in awe of this wee black keyboard thingy with the silver tape deck attached by some wires..and after waiting very impatiently for ten minutes, AIRWOLF was finally loaded. Only for us to repeatedly hit that 'fn wall and never make it past the third level or so. And Rambo First Blood Part 2....took easily 15 mins to load, then we kept dying near the end. Never did complete it. Good times though. Until my Sega Master System appeared a few Christmases later :)

As a young kid this game made you feel outrageously naughty for playing:

batsrad.jpg

Yes! It was like passing contraband as it made the rounds at school.

I have fond memories of that game. It was on a cover tape for Your Sinclair I believe. Running about getting smashed cheap plonk and putting johhnies on your head and then I played the game aaaaah.

I used to love the early turn-based games, though I never got into RTS genre in more recent times.

Julian Gollop (who's now famous for the X-Com series) made a couple of games that I lost hours on - Chaos

chaos.png

and the sequel Lords Of Chaos:

Lordsofchaos2.png

They were 4 player, so you'd input your moves for that round, then have to leave the room as your mates did their rounds. Pretty geeky fantasy games, but incredibly good fun.

I miss isometric games, don't tease me man :(

Controlling the fucking game camera in 3d games is still the biggest problem for most developers.

• Paid Members
I miss isometric games, don't tease me man :(

I'm with you on that one, some games were just made to be played on a fixed isometric view. I stopped playing PC games when everything switched to shoddy 3D cameras. Rollercoaster Tycoon, Sims, Command and Conquer etc are just games to be played on isometric plains.

I must admit I did prefer the c64 as but two mates owned them back in the day, shame theres some titles on there that I really want to dig up and play again I just can't remember the names of them.

On another note why am I Sponsoring this event?

• Paid Members

I was gonna mention this in the general comments thread a while ago but forgot. A few months ago I was driving along in Hull and casually mentioned to my missus that some crappy ex-catalogue shop on Hessle Road used to be a computer shop where I got my speccy games as a kid. I used to spend half of Saturday trying to choose. In one of those remarkable coincidences, the tat shop had closed and someone had taken their name banner thing off the shop front and there in all it's glory was the painted (but now faded) "TARGET Micro Computers" sign. It's still there now, makes me smile every time i see it.

My favourite game was World Soccer League. River Plate vs. Manchester United. AC Milan vs. Liverpool. etc. All a dream world when I was a kid, English clubs were banned from Europe.

• Moderators

I just had a weird random memory of going in a small, out of town computer shop with my mum when I was about ten. It's one of those life memories that returns to you about once a year, and it went down thusly: I'd never been there before, and as I was browsing the various racks, seeking out the game format of my choice, the rather laddish bloke behind the counter stepped out and started bantering with me, and he said -

"Whose computer is it?"

*a beat*

Me: "Mine?"

He laughed in my face, so hard, like I'd said the most awkward, embarrassing response ever. Like someone saying "Thanks, you too" when wished a happy birthday, or publicly answering someone who's talking to another person on a Bluetooth earpiece because you think they're talking to you.

"NO, what make is it?!" he said, through chuckles, again, like I was a stupid spastic who'd gotten confused.

Two full decades later, I still think "Whose computer is it?" is a ridiculous way of asking what format it is. I refuse to feel embarrassed over that, as I did at the time. I hope he's fucking dead.

Archived