Wrestling vs Twitter

UK Kat Von D

It seems wrestling is starting to become more and more obsessed with Twitter over the last year. I see the logic, everytime someone tweets about wrestling they are advertising the product for free to everyone who follows them. A good way to encourage old fans back by them casually seeing what a friend has posted or make some new ones. It can be used to enhance story lines and build characters. However I find it fucking annoying.

Where would you draw the line? What is too much? Does it destroy perceptions of people who should be larger than life? I know it gets talked about a lot on here so I figured it would be good to merge all the rants together so they don't clutter regular discussion too much.

Personally I would just have wrestler's twitter accounts listed under their names during entrances and show when something is trending in the bottom of the screen. But I would ban the term actually being spoken about in promos or by commentators unless it is extremely relevant

• Paid Members

Its fucking bollocks. The wrestlers actual tweeting is fine, I follow loads of them and in the modern era I don't think there is a whole lot of "kayfabe" left to protect anyway.

HOWEVER on screen, I'd rather they dont mention it in the slightest. I dont give a SHIT what's trending worldwide, I'm trying to watch the wrestling. I don't care what's happening on Twitter while I'm watching the wrestling, just like I dont when I'm watching football, sitcoms or anything. Its a meaningless distraction from actual depth of storyline.

Yeah i don't mind it getting the occasional mention but every fucking time "look King can you belive such and such in trending on Twitter! OMG" who the hell cares really? If the trending worldwide thing comes up at the bottom of the screen thats cool but to mention it every 10 minutes is tedious, desperate and really quite annoying. They should go back to having an info bar at the bottom of the screen and they could put twitter related stuff there.

Personally I don't like twitter and think its rubbish, but obviously there are millions of people out there who use it, and its sometimes a good tool for promoting things but it can't be all the time...

• Paid Members

The on-screen stuff doesn't bother me at all. The amount of inconsequential stuff that trends shows that it's a little silly how much stock they put in it, but I don't find it distracting. As for the actual use itself, I just follow guys whose tweets I enjoy and ignore the rest. It's all personal taste.

I think the Twitter nonsense often makes the show unwatchable, especially if it's the live feed of Raw and there is an advert break every five minutes. I can never understand the complete delight in Michael Cole or Jerry Lawler's voice when something is trending worldwide or is even the #1 worldwide trend. They're the WWE. They shouldn't communicate it in a manner that equates to "man, people are actually talking about this pish!"

Its fucking bollocks. The wrestlers actual tweeting is fine, I follow loads of them and in the modern era I don't think there is a whole lot of "kayfabe" left to protect anyway.

HOWEVER on screen, I'd rather they dont mention it in the slightest. I dont give a SHIT what's trending worldwide, I'm trying to watch the wrestling. I don't care what's happening on Twitter while I'm watching the wrestling, just like I dont when I'm watching football, sitcoms or anything. Its a meaningless distraction from actual depth of storyline.

Thank you

When they first started doing it in WWE it stuck out like a sore thumb. Ofcourse WWE have to take notice of recent trends but I never thought I'd hear Jerry Lawler talking about twitter...it did take him a little while to come round though compared to Cole. TNA have started doing it more now too and it makes sense, I'm in agreement about keeping it down to a minimum though.

• Paid Members

Half agree with that. I think having the wrestlers twitter handle onscreen is fine. Having the hashtag mentioned is fine. I don't even mind the occasional "follow us on twitter"/"send us a tweet" type promo, I think it's good marketing. Having the trending topics coming up and mentioning it in every single segment is absolutely horrendous though. So irritating. And having promo's built around it is dire.

• Paid Members

In fairness, WWE appear to have noticed how OTT they went a few months back, they don't mention it nearly as much now. What annoys me most is when we get twitter mentions in main event programs (I'm looking at you Dwayne).

WWE is at least slightly bearable with the twitter tie-in, these days. I hear TNA are not though.

I have to agree with the above. WWE went crazy at first, then calmed down. It's less intrusive now unless a wrestler shafts it into their promo etc. And yes, The Rock is by far the worst.

The last TNA show I watched - can't remember if it was the PPV or the Impact after, but the Twitter stuff came out of nowhere and they were pushing it to the levels WWE were originally, and it was fucking horrendous.

I have to agree with the above. WWE went crazy at first, then calmed down. It's less intrusive now unless a wrestler shafts it into their promo etc. And yes, The Rock is by far the worst.

The last TNA show I watched - can't remember if it was the PPV or the Impact after, but the Twitter stuff came out of nowhere and they were pushing it to the levels WWE were originally, and it was fucking horrendous.

I cant stand twitter but thats me BUT in terms of worse for me was TNA on the Victory Road PPV where JB commented on that Victory Road was the most popular trend during. But we don't get live PPV over here. Oh course I was streaming it at the time but I thought he said US then Maffew confirmed it on Botchamania.

Why make up shit like like even if it was true, then doesn't TNA realise that people are watch it illegally.

• Moderators

Nah, fuck that. It's wrestling. If they're gonna talk about it, may as well just make all sorts of shit up. Like how height and weight of everything is just made up arbitrarily. "John Cena has 2 billion followers, which is more than Lady Gaga and Stephen Fry combined." "That's not a pretty mental image, Tazz".

Archived